Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-15-2011, 04:41 PM

Default Must be rifle season

You can tell when rifle season is starting up here. Highway 2 is littered with trucks with trailers filled with quads with gun boots on them and the trucks are packed with supplies. I'm sure next week I'll see antlers sticking out of the boxes.
Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets
Old 09-15-2011, 05:58 PM

Yup, it is definately hunting season...out here in the bush our roads are littered with beer cans pop cans, chip bags and tim horton coffee cups!! And yes, lots of trucks and quads.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:18 PM

ya cuz that could only be the hunters littering the roads Eh?
Old 09-15-2011, 06:23 PM

It's sad to see that all the so called outdoorsmen were taught such bad habits as to litter everywhere! My dad taught me that if you take it in, you take it out! With the exception of toilet paper! Which is generally gone after the first good rain anyways! I am heading out near drayton next weekend for some early season deer hunting with a buddy of mine! I'm sort of dreading it! It's gonna be nuts! I prefer to hunt land that has a little less pressure! Oh well! I'm sure we will have fun anyways! Both will have our bird license too, so if the deer hunting isnt that great, we can try and whack some birds!
Old 09-15-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck-8835 View Post
Been here 5 years, very limited traffic, except contractors that come to our plant, and the hunting traffic and litter starts at the beginning of Sept and seems to stop at the end of November...i know its just my opinion, but it sure seems suspect to me?? I do not paint all hunters with that brush, i have hunted, guided, and outfitted for the better part of my life, and there are far more respectful hunters than bad..just an observation every year!
Old 09-15-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
I'm sure next week I'll see antlers sticking out of the boxes
Hopefully that's this guys truck pointed south.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:04 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck-8835 View Post
Travel the back roads every day of the year 300+ and I can tell you what day it is the day before hunting season opens...every year.....so no it ain't the birdwatchers...nice try though..
Old 09-15-2011, 07:29 PM

Well, if this isn't another one of those "wild theory and conjecture" finger pointing threads!

Here's mine:

I believe it's really the garbage and litter accumalated along the ditches and road edges that has been hidden up until now by the long grass. This has gone on all summer mainly by those locals and year round back road travelers as well as the oil contracors. Now that hunting season opens and the grass has started to die and lie down due the cold and frost, it is finally in view and the guilty ones are trying to divert blame from themselves.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:40 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findal View Post
Well, if this isn't another one of those "wild theory and conjecture" finger pointing threads!

Here's mine:

I believe it's really the garbage and litter accumalated along the ditches and road edges that has been hidden up until now by the long grass. This has gone on all summer mainly by those locals and year round back road travelers as well as the oil contracors. Now that hunting season opens and the grass has started to die and lie down due the cold and frost, it is finally in view and the guilty ones are trying to divert blame from themselves.

I see... I guess...have you been out of the city recently, to see how long the grass is still in the ditches????....but yeah, blame it on anybody else ...
Old 09-15-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Travel the back roads every day of the year 300+ and I can tell you what day it is the day before hunting season opens...every year.....so no it ain't the birdwatchers...nice try though..
Reminds me of a known local fishing hole....I can tell if the fish are biteing by the number of littered minnow,worm,smelt&maggott container's\packages,aswell I picked up about 12 tim hortons coffee cups last week.

Now when I go out fishing,I pack 2 garbage bags,one for the fish,the other for all the trash I pick up
Old 09-15-2011, 11:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
True...the trash does seem to start piling up as soon as hunting season kicks off.
Some of it is accidental and with the increased traffic...
But a lot of guys just throw their crap out any old place.

Speaking of that... I generally bag everything now except pee.
I just don't want to be the guy that leaves huge wads of toilet paper and poop all over the place to show my appreciation to landowners and leaseholders.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
True...the trash does seem to start piling up as soon as hunting season kicks off.
Some of it is accidental and with the increased traffic...
But a lot of guys just throw their crap out any old place.

Speaking of that... I generally bag everything now except pee.I just don't want to be the guy that leaves huge wads of toilet paper and poop all over the place to show my appreciation to landowners and leaseholders.
why not?
Old 09-15-2011, 11:43 PM

i got passed today bt a huge Ford f350... pulling a trailer with 2 quads, a quad trailer, a whole bunch of rubbermaid tubs, and a full sized huge old school Freezer strapped to the front of the trailer
Old 09-15-2011, 11:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast View Post
why not?
Well.
It's just a matter of trying to leave places the same or better than when you got there.
Besides.
Imagine that you allow a couple dozen guys to hunt on your land.
In spring you start checking fences and find them decorated with miles of Charmin extra soft, handy wipes, latex gloves etc. Cattle can eat things like gloves or garbage by accident and get ill and it just looks bad.

I know that one pile of poop in a woodline on a 6000 acre spread isn't much but when you add all the users up over the length of a season...it must get a bit disgusting sometimes.

I bag all my trash, recover my casings and have a toilet seat attached to a 5 gallon bucket in the truck. I also pick up other peoples garbage when I see it.
That said, there are times when you just need to dig a hole because that bucket is too far away and it isn't practical to head back to the old truck every time you need to whiz.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:42 AM

it only takes a couple of Idiots to leave thier garbage and it gets blown around and then it looks like everybody just threw out their garbage. We as hunters have to get law enforcement to realy start cracking down on this there are littering laws in place but they don't bother to enforce them.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
it only takes a couple of Idiots to leave thier garbage and it gets blown around and then it looks like everybody just threw out their garbage. We as hunters have to get law enforcement to realy start cracking down on this there are littering laws in place but they don't bother to enforce them.
I think the cops have trouble catching the people littering because they are too busy pulling over speeders, and "distracted drivers" that they don't have time to catch the litter bugs! Not enough money in it I guess!
Old 09-16-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe823 View Post
Been here 5 years, very limited traffic, except contractors that come to our plant, and the hunting traffic and litter starts at the beginning of Sept and seems to stop at the end of November...i know its just my opinion, but it sure seems suspect to me?? I do not paint all hunters with that brush, i have hunted, guided, and outfitted for the better part of my life, and there are far more respectful hunters than bad..just an observation every year!

Fair enough then man!! It sucks that guys are doing that. I just hate asking a land owner for permission and then getting told no because "hunters destroy field", or "hunters cut fences, and leave gates open." I hate being accused of things just because im a hunter. Im not saying your doing this, i get where your coming from now!
Old 09-16-2011, 10:36 AM

we can rant all we want about the litter we see up there, here and there... i use an old tried and true method, get out and pick some of the litter up. it's works like a charm. makes our team feel a little better knowing we left the bush looking better than when we came.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy View Post
we can rant all we want about the litter we see up there, here and there... i use an old tried and true method, get out and pick some of the litter up. it's works like a charm. makes our team feel a little better knowing we left the bush looking better than when we came.
x2...

I try and teach that to the kids when we are camping, including in campgrounds as well as the forestry.. Every year we seem to get a fair amount of trash.. The plastic bread bag things seem to be popular to leave on the ground too...
Old 09-16-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
. We as hunters have to get law enforcement to realy start cracking down on this there are littering laws in place but they don't bother to enforce them.
Unfortunately unless you are willing to sign a comp, minor offenses not comitted in the presence of LE there ain't a whole lot we can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
I think the cops have trouble catching the people littering because they are too busy pulling over speeders, and "distracted drivers" that they don't have time to catch the litter bugs! Not enough money in it I guess!

It depends where your at. Here in Montana if I catch you littering the fine is 585$. For speeding depending on how fast your going tickets start at 20$ and go up from there. Most people I stop are going over 11mph over the speed limit and the ticket is only $40. If I catch you throwing trash out your car trust me I'll cite you for everything I can.

FWIW there was a post in this thread that mentions they hate being labeled because "hunters" cut fences and "hunters" leave trash ect...to you Bowhunter i'm sure you wouldn't enjoy being labeled as one of those kinds of Hunters. So Id appreciate it if you don't label all LE as ones who are just out to cite speeders.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:59 PM
Banned

Say FTruckinng:

What is the story about drinking in vehicles in MT?

One hears all kinds of stories about the MT laws, but I don't think they are true.

So if some guy throws a beer can out the window he can get nailed over $500. That's cool. Will the judge let him return the can for a nickel?

Take Care.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well.
It's just a matter of trying to leave places the same or better than when you got there.
Besides.
Imagine that you allow a couple dozen guys to hunt on your land.
In spring you start checking fences and find them decorated with miles of Charmin extra soft, handy wipes, latex gloves etc. Cattle can eat things like gloves or garbage by accident and get ill and it just looks bad.

I know that one pile of poop in a woodline on a 6000 acre spread isn't much but when you add all the users up over the length of a season...it must get a bit disgusting sometimes.

I bag all my trash, recover my casings and have a toilet seat attached to a 5 gallon bucket in the truck. I also pick up other peoples garbage when I see it.
That said, there are times when you just need to dig a hole because that bucket is too far away and it isn't practical to head back to the old truck every time you need to whiz.
Good Point Pesky.

Please don't leave a pile of shotshells near a slough. Remember that Cattle might be grazing before watering. If you want to have a snort after hunting, please leave the cans bottles, jerky packages, chip bags etc by the gate which you close.

As for friggen unused diapers in the middle of the field, what are some guys up to?

Life can be that easy.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:18 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Good Point Pesky.

Please don't leave a pile of shotshells near a slough. Remember that Cattle might be grazing before watering. If you want to have a snort after hunting, please leave the cans bottles, jerky packages, chip bags etc by the gate which you close.

As for friggen unused diapers in the middle of the field, what are some guys up to?

Life can be that easy.
why by the gate????, if you can move it that far , take it home and dispose of it?????
Old 09-16-2011, 08:45 PM
Banned

WOW !!! Seen more trucks pulling trailer's than the month of July today !!!
Old 09-16-2011, 10:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well I suppose it might be because they don't usually have time to patrol back country roads and thousands of square miles of crown land and farmers fields looking for litter bugs.

WOW.

On another post you rant about Hitler and Stalin and the loss of freedom that occurs when government gets in your business and now you want more cops to patrol the woods to make sure everyone picks up their litter?
You want open carry of sidearms because honest upstanding citizens should be allowed that in a free country then insist that we need more police in the woods to chase down the thugs that throw their Timmys cups on the ground?
You don't like the idea of having to undergo closer examination before being issued a license but you want police following you around to make sure you don't drop a gum wrapper in the forest?

You sure have funny ideas about freedom appropriate use of resources and personal responsibility dude.

Original poster...sorry bout the highjack...back to you.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:58 PM

well here goes the fuel for a flame....

I did not grow up with a pack it in pack it out mentality.

We did not pacjkin stuff that needed packing out.

and if we did have a bit of garbage, it was burned the fire when we had a boil up ( not sure that everyone knows what a boil up is, but anyhow)

I bit of saran wrap, ziploc bag,etc. in the fire and we left nothing....

what really bothers me today is the number of matreses and kitcen appilances you see thrwn out in the bush...

it's 10$ to drop an appliance at the dump here in GP...why throw it in the bush...seriously.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:36 AM
Banned

Because putting $10 in your tank to drive for 45 minutes out there and dump it makes more sense than driving 10 minutes to pay $10 at the dump and get back home quick for a cold one?

I dunno... you got me there...
Old 09-17-2011, 01:11 AM

Well, while we're all ranting about litter bugs I'll throw out my latest rant subject. If one more idiot in a vehicle in front of me throws his smoke out the window and it bounces into my rig or up onto my hood, I'm gonna pull up in front of his sorry arse and toss out a battery or two. I'm NOT painting all smokers with the same brush, but seriously, if you choose to smoke in your car, keep the dang butt in your car when you're done. If you don't want to soil your ashtray or have your car/truck smell like an old butt, then don't smoke in your vehicle. It's littering folks!! Not to mention a serious fire hazard. And that's MY two cents .
Old 09-17-2011, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Well I suppose it might be because they don't usually have time to patrol back country roads and thousands of square miles of crown land and farmers fields looking for litter bugs.

WOW.

On another post you rant about Hitler and Stalin and the loss of freedom that occurs when government gets in your business and now you want more cops to patrol the woods to make sure everyone picks up their litter?
You want open carry of sidearms because honest upstanding citizens should be allowed that in a free country then insist that we need more police in the woods to chase down the thugs that throw their Timmys cups on the ground?
You don't like the idea of having to undergo closer examination before being issued a license but you want police following you around to make sure you don't drop a gum wrapper in the forest?

You sure have funny ideas about freedom appropriate use of resources and personal responsibility dude.

Original poster...sorry bout the highjack...back to you.
I never said that I wanted more cops to patrol the woods their are fish & wildlife officers out thier and forestry people they see who is camped where and I'm sure they see lots as I've come upon them using spotting scopes to see who is doing what I've also have been pulled over by them because they seen me looking at a moose that I had no tag for when I moved on they heard a shot in that area and they came off a ridge and checked me & my rifle out then took off to see who else was in the area. you my not see them but there out there. they also cover alot of miles in a day. and when was the last time you heard of any body getting a ticket for littering yet you see people throwing out timmy cup quite often. and if cops are looking for people braking the law it doesn't bother me a bit as that is what there supose to be doing. littering is just as much of a crime as any other and most cops seem to ignore it. and as for your thinking that I have funny Ideas your the one that wants every one to take a personality test to see if someone has mental problems not saying that its a bad idea just don't like the goverment having access to that type of info as it would be available to most or all goverment agentcys. like the good old days when they wanted your social insurance number for everything until the supreme court but a stop to that.

Last edited by Lonnie; 09-17-2011 at 05:56 AM.