Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 11:14 PM
Banned

Default Apalling......

On a tip from another member here I went Elk hunting to a new area tnite. Drivin home south of Slave Lake (PITCH black) I see tail lights turn to brake lights 1/2 mile ahead of me. Then brake lights turn to reverse lights. Then it goes dark. So off comes the cruise and start slowin down. Eventually I make out a pickup half on the shoulder half in the lane. Then I start to see people. Then I see 3 flashes (muzzle flashes). So I hit the binders. I see a moose stagger off into the bush from the ditch. 2 guys and a woman (collectivley near 1000 lbs worth) go waddling back to the truck, each with a rifle in hand. Then 3 more people come out of nowhere from out in front of the truck, frantically waving me through. I caught 5 out of 6 of the plate and carried on. Phoned RAP and was on hold almost ten minutes. Gave the info to a young lady who didnt seem to know where Slave Lake was, or what I meant by "km 43 eastbound on hwy 2". She was awfully rushed, but just before she hung up I managed to get a word in edgewise and give her the plate number. I dont think she even wrote it down. She blurted out " wel have an officer contact you" and hung up. I got to thinking about it after, and she never did ask for my number.

Im not sure what disgusts me more. The natives and the moose or the putz at RAP.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:18 PM

Sad
Old 09-14-2011, 11:26 PM
Banned

You might be surprised when a F&W Officer contacts you for the info. He'll go to the kill spot to collect dna and follow up on the partial licence plate number. If he can connect the two, charges could still be coming.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:27 PM

it shocks me how much balls people have....how can you do something like that especially at night.

Absolutely sickening to my guts.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
You might be surprised when a F&W Officer contacts you for the info.
. Id like nothing better. Unfortunatley like I said above ^ she never did take my number. Poor girl sounded like it was her first day and she was gettin baptized by fire. Either that or shes incredibly disorganized.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:31 PM

I doubt they need your number, I'll bet they had it once they answered your call. No surprise that the hotline gal was clueless, she doesn't need to know where Slave Lake is as long as she got down everything you told her (call was probably recorded anyways). None too happy to hear about night shooting (this isn't hunting) but the chances of anything coming of it are fairly slim. Resources are stretched thin this time of year and they need to decide what they pursue...a partial plate on a sketchy description will be tough to make stick in court.

If they do get caught, they should nail them to the wall...illegal and unsafe among other things.

You did the right thing in calling RAP regardless of the outcome.
Zeke
Old 09-14-2011, 11:33 PM
Banned

I'm pretty sure that she has your number........anonimous or not.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:38 PM
Banned

Pretty sure RAP advertises they dont subscribe to caller id to protect anonymity. Either way, I got the feeling she didnt know what the heck she was doing. I think I could actually tell when she stopped trying to understand where I was and simply gave up lol.

If there hadnt been 6 of them and 3 guns I would have stopped and got the last digit on the plate. At that time of evening, Id be willing to bet there was booze involved, and thats not the way I wanna die lol.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighWildnFree View Post
On a tip from another member here I went Elk hunting to a new area tnite. Drivin home south of Slave Lake (PITCH black) I see tail lights turn to brake lights 1/2 mile ahead of me. Then brake lights turn to reverse lights. Then it goes dark. So off comes the cruise and start slowin down. Eventually I make out a pickup half on the shoulder half in the lane. Then I start to see people. Then I see 3 flashes (muzzle flashes). So I hit the binders. I see a moose stagger off into the bush from the ditch. 2 guys and a woman (collectivley near 1000 lbs worth) go waddling back to the truck, each with a rifle in hand. Then 3 more people come out of nowhere from out in front of the truck, frantically waving me through. I caught 5 out of 6 of the plate and carried on. Phoned RAP and was on hold almost ten minutes. Gave the info to a young lady who didnt seem to know where Slave Lake was, or what I meant by "km 43 eastbound on hwy 2". She was awfully rushed, but just before she hung up I managed to get a word in edgewise and give her the plate number. I dont think she even wrote it down. She blurted out " wel have an officer contact you" and hung up. I got to thinking about it after, and she never did ask for my number.

Im not sure what disgusts me more. The natives and the moose or the putz at RAP.
How much did this incident affect you and what time did it happen?
Old 09-14-2011, 11:42 PM
Banned

Odd questions lol, but ok.....Il bite. Bothered tge hell outta me and around 945 or so.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:48 PM

so it happened two hours ago while you were posting in other threads???

Itaffected you so much that you chatted in other thread for 2 hours before mentioning it???

and it follows up with a stereotyping comment you made in another thread,
Old 09-14-2011, 11:49 PM
Banned

Ya.....and yer point is?
Old 09-14-2011, 11:50 PM

Give Fish and Wildlife a call in the morning and pass the info on directly to them when their offices open up (In Red Deer it is 8:15am....so don't know if that is the same at the other offices). Good for you in making the attempt...just know that it isn't a dead issue if you pursue it tomorrow morning. Good luck.......Marco
Old 09-14-2011, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Ya.....and yer point is?
So it happened while you were on AO ?????
Old 09-14-2011, 11:54 PM
Banned

Thats kinda what I was figgerin on Marco. Id love to see somethin get done about it.

And ok Arn, you busted me, Im often driving and on the iphone too.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Thats kinda what I was figgerin on Marco. Id love to see somethin get done about it.

And ok Arn, you busted me, Im often driving and on the iphone too.
Are you driving now????
Old 09-14-2011, 11:59 PM
Banned

Been home for quite a while now. Are you writing a book?
Old 09-15-2011, 12:06 AM
Banned

You'd think that you'd post your story about what happened before replying on other threads.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:10 AM
Banned

I didnt realize I violated the accepted protocol lol. In the future Il try to pay closer attention to procedure lmao
Old 09-15-2011, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Been home for quite a while now. Are you writing a book?
nope,....are you telling a story?

From what I gathered is that at approximately 945pm , while on Alberta Outdoorsman via iphone driving South of Slave Lake, you saw someone poach a moose at night, muzzle flashes, etc etc etc. and it really bothered you. So much so that you replied to other threads and a couple of hours later decided to start a thread titled "Apalling"
Old 09-15-2011, 12:22 AM
Banned

Didnt wanna type the whole thing out while I was driving lol. A sentence or 2 I can get away with lol
Old 09-15-2011, 12:46 AM

Quote:
On a tip from another member here I went Elk hunting to a new area tnite. Drivin home south of Slave Lake (PITCH black) I see tail lights turn to brake lights 1/2 mile ahead of me. Then brake lights turn to reverse lights. Then it goes dark. So off comes the cruise and start slowin down. Eventually I make out a pickup half on the shoulder half in the lane. Then I start to see people. Then I see 3 flashes (muzzle flashes). So I hit the binders. I see a moose stagger off into the bush from the ditch. 2 guys and a woman (collectivley near 1000 lbs worth) go waddling back to the truck, each with a rifle in hand. Then 3 more people come out of nowhere from out in front of the truck, frantically waving me through. I caught 5 out of 6 of the plate and carried on. Phoned RAP and was on hold almost ten minutes. Gave the info to a young lady who didnt seem to know where Slave Lake was, or what I meant by "km 43 eastbound on hwy 2". She was awfully rushed, but just before she hung up I managed to get a word in edgewise and give her the plate number. I dont think she even wrote it down. She blurted out " wel have an officer contact you" and hung up. I got to thinking about it after, and she
never did ask for my number.
If you still have the plates phone a fish and wildlife detachment and give your info to an officer and tell them that u did phone the rap line but the lady didnt seem to be to bright. Thats what I would do.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme hunter10 View Post
If you still have the plates phone a fish and wildlife detachment and give your info to an officer and tell them that u did phone the rap line but the lady didnt seem to be to bright. Thats what I would do.
x2
Old 09-15-2011, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Didnt wanna type the whole thing out while I was driving lol. A sentence or 2 I can get away with lol
You sure about that? I remember seeing a sign on the highway and hearing something on the news about some "Distracted Driving Law"...lol...
Old 09-15-2011, 08:05 AM

Default Rap

I will go out on a limb here... What are the chances the poor girl is answering 7 different phones? with some of those calls likely far higher in priority than yours?

Please follow up with the F&W office in Slave Lake. Don't be a coward and just give your observations. Write out what you saw and go to court.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arn?Narn. View Post
nope,....are you telling a story?

From what I gathered is that at approximately 945pm , while on Alberta Outdoorsman via iphone driving South of Slave Lake, you saw someone poach a moose at night, muzzle flashes, etc etc etc. and it really bothered you. So much so that you replied to other threads and a couple of hours later decided to start a thread titled "Apalling"
I hear ya Arn Narn
Old 09-15-2011, 11:31 AM

Angry

Good eye Arn?Narn hope HighWildnfree is not trying to start something.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:36 AM
Banned

Jeesass, forget it.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:56 AM

Wow you guys are somthing ....why would a guy "make up a story like this"? Just curious.

Is there anything wrong with not spilling a story after the fact .....did that have to be the first thing a guy wrote about since the incident?

If I shoot a moose this year will I have to post here prior to commenting on another thread first for it to be considered legit?

HighWild.....Good on ya for calling it in .....for anyone else who has ever phoned the RAP line "afterhours" you might experience the same fustrations.

Mike
Old 09-15-2011, 12:05 PM

arn?narn, you seem to judge alot of people, not sure why, but great for calling it in man.
Closed Thread