Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-16-2019, 09:26 AM

Default Back country sleeping bags

Back country back packing guys what are you using for light weight sleeping bags. I’ve been using a 15 year old down bag it works ok but just it’s weight and volume Are high. I’ve been thinking of something a little more modern and a lot more back pack friendly that packs up super small volume and dosnt weight a lot is rated for about 0°. I’ve down sized a lot of my gear over the last 3 seasons to the point where my sleeping bag now weighs more than my shelter. I rear good things about quilts vs down bags any input would be appreciated.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:58 AM

I see all kinds of contraptions designed to keep a quilt from falling off and tucked in...a sleeping bag does that automatically. For early season a quilt probably works well but I love my north face sleeping bag. I did get it wet once and it let me down (ha! A pun) moral of that story is if you sleep with three guys under a tarp sleep in the middle. There’s still nothing lighter and warmer than down.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:02 AM

Karafu woobie.... maybe. its not 0 rated but sure warmed me up in Alberta last year.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:17 AM

I use a Big Agnes Moon hill 0 degrees bag, the pad sleeve is great add.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:59 AM

MEC talon -10. Compared it to the Kuiu for size and weight and couldn't justify paying double for the Kuiu to shave a couple ounces. Has worked pretty damn good so far and it's fairly versatile. When the weather dips down colder than -10 I use a MEC hybrid -20 bag that is roughly 4 years old. Sadly it's around 5 lbs and takes up far too much space but I'm usually pulling a sled in that type of weather. The new MEC talon -20 bag solves that problem and I'll likely upgrade next year.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaround View Post
Karafu woobie.... maybe. its not 0 rated but sure warmed me up in Alberta last year.
My god, are those even words?
Old 09-16-2019, 12:20 PM

Anything made by snugpak has served me very very well. Pricey but never slept a cold night down to minus 40. Getting out of the bag is tough haha
Old 09-16-2019, 12:30 PM

I use a RAB Ascent 700 and love it. I wouldn't get anything less then a -7 bag for the mountains, especially in the fall. You'll likely freeze. If your going in colder weather, you'll definitely want a liner as well. Also stay away from Marmot bags, theyre junk. I froze almost every night in the middle of summer in the mountains with my Marmot bag. Wasn't making that mistake again and threw down the money for a good warm bag from a reputable company.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 09-16-2019, 02:29 PM

Yeah, I don't think a 0 degree bag is appropriate for the mountains in any season. I run a -7 MEC synthetic down mummy bag and vary my layers depending on the temperature. It has been good to about -12 for me with all my layers on.

As mentioned a lot, MEC isn't my preferred brand due to their leanings, but it's hard to beat their product and warranty for the price when it comes to bags.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:23 PM

Three years ago I purchased a down quilt from Hammock Gear and I'll never go back to a mummy bag again, unless its real cold. It's super light, very packable, and reasonably priced from a good company. Worth a look
Old 09-16-2019, 03:44 PM

I couple years ago I had a Sierra designs down bag with full gortex shell I loved it but it was a smidge heavier And noise when cold. It split a seam and they gave me a new bag the new bag had a zipper in the middle and you can get your arms out with arm pockets and keep the ba zipped right up. Best bag ever best design ever you would think the arm pockets flaps would be cold but that’s not the case bring your arms back in and they seal back up. I recently visited their sight and can’t find that model anymore but some other companies might make similar bags. Best thing out there if you can find one.

Just looked and it’s called the mobile mummy
Old 09-16-2019, 04:02 PM

I use the Mec's Draco wide -9 bag its down filled. cost about $250 bucks, I know Mec is anti hunting, however, I am not a big fan of mummy bags, and I tried the Draco wide bag and I just had lots of room. compared to all the other mummy or mummy wide bags I tried.

I shopped around for a while before I made the purchase, and no matter what store I went into, they said go with a minimum -9 bag if you are going to the mountains. My trip was at the end of July. the -9 bag was perfect.

The only think about the Mec bag is it didn't come with a compression sack, it had a stuff sack, but I had to order a compression sack off Amazon.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:05 PM

Western Mountaineering. Buy once and set for life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw outdoors View Post
I couple years ago I had a Sierra designs down bag with full gortex shell I loved it but it was a smidge heavier And noise when cold. It split a seam and they gave me a new bag the new bag had a zipper in the middle and you can get your arms out with arm pockets and keep the ba zipped right up. Best bag ever best design ever you would think the arm pockets flaps would be cold but that’s not the case bring your arms back in and they seal back up. I recently visited their sight and can’t find that model anymore but some other companies might make similar bags. Best thing out there if you can find one.

Just looked and it’s called the mobile mummy
Sierra design has lifetime warranty so when your bag starts to fall apart they give you a new one.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:48 PM

My current bag is the mec raven it’s 1.7kg and is a lot of volume packed Its rated for -12c . 0 to -12 would by my bracket for a new bag I sleep pretty warm and don’t setup up with out the bag in the bivy so there no need for a gortex or wind proof bag. There’s bags on the market these days rated for the same at .6kg I’m super interested in the sleeping quilts I see the benefits of not having fill on the bottom when your body is on top of all the down crushing any loft out making it just added weight I run a neoair xtherm for an airmatress and an OR alpine bivy as an outer.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:13 PM

I run a down woobie rated for about 0 dag if it's colder I wear my puffy for added insulation. sleeping bags add weight and space with part of the bag being useless as it's compressed under your body. A 1-2 oz bivy will keep your quilt or woobie in place for less weight and space than the added weight of a full bag( also adds waterproofing). This weekend I'll be camping out in a hammock to see how I like it. It's a bit heavier and more space in the pack than my ultralight floorless tent/ or tarps but I'm hoping the good night rest will make up the difference. I don't sleep bad on the ground but i sure sleep better in a hammock.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:43 PM

Feathered Friends makes very nice bags

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 09-16-2019, 08:03 PM

x2 for Western Mountaineering. Packs small & light but the warmest bag in cold weather. Top quality but $$
Old 09-17-2019, 01:23 PM

Default Western Mountaineering

x3 for Western Mountaineering.
I have the ultralight for early season, and the antelope gore for late season.
They are excellent bags. Buy once cry once.

As the dollar has been so bad, I am seriously considering the bags made by Spirit West in Calgary in the future. They look very comparable.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:09 PM

I second the MEC Draco -9 wide sleeping bag! very warm and go down not synthetic it will last longer with what ever kind of bag you get.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:10 PM

When in Rome....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRlTQWIKN8o

Reminds me of that thread a few years ago about the canoe trip hunt gone bad!
Old 09-17-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
I run a down woobie rated for about 0 dag if it's colder I wear my puffy for added insulation. sleeping bags add weight and space with part of the bag being useless as it's compressed under your body. A 1-2 oz bivy will keep your quilt or woobie in place for less weight and space than the added weight of a full bag( also adds waterproofing). This weekend I'll be camping out in a hammock to see how I like it. It's a bit heavier and more space in the pack than my ultralight floorless tent/ or tarps but I'm hoping the good night rest will make up the difference. I don't sleep bad on the ground but i sure sleep better in a hammock.
I tried a hammock ONCE.. and froze my ***** off. My lesson learned was to use a really good sleeping pad under your sleeping bag, without it, the air just sucks the heat from you. I would try it again but with more insulation.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2019, 03:02 PM

I use a KUIU down bag. So far so good, it’s kept me warm on a late October mountain goat hunt.

Old 09-17-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchief View Post
I tried a hammock ONCE.. and froze my ***** off. My lesson learned was to use a really good sleeping pad under your sleeping bag, without it, the air just sucks the heat from you. I would try it again but with more insulation.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
You need an under quilt. Can sleep warm right down to -20. Trick is to hang the under quilt about 1" under your bag when under tension so it's not compressed at all. I have not found anything yet that you can lay ON that will keep you warm. Any insulation just compresses and you end up froze. The down under quilt is key to staying warm
I have camped a ton out of a hammock but for hunting I have always used some type of floorless shelter ( tarp tent or tipi)with the option of a stove. I'm hoping this system is faster/ more mobile for hunting. We will see I guess
Old 09-17-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99 View Post
Western Mountaineering. Buy once and set for life.

X4
Old 09-18-2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
My current bag is the mec raven it’s 1.7kg and is a lot of volume packed Its rated for -12c . 0 to -12 would by my bracket for a new bag I sleep pretty warm and don’t setup up with out the bag in the bivy so there no need for a gortex or wind proof bag. There’s bags on the market these days rated for the same at .6kg I’m super interested in the sleeping quilts I see the benefits of not having fill on the bottom when your body is on top of all the down crushing any loft out making it just added weight I run a neoair xtherm for an airmatress and an OR alpine bivy as an outer.
Rab does this with there sleeping bags. More fill on the top then the bottom.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 09-19-2019, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Rab does this with there sleeping bags. More fill on the top then the bottom.
My personal experience has been that when the temp gets much below zero, the insulation under you is at least as important as the insulation on top. For winter camping I use two bags, a thermarest, and a good layer of pine boughs. I once tried replacing my outer bag with a warm blanket and that small of a change resulted in the ground sucking the heat right out of me. Of course this all happened at about -25, but its a lesson I have not forgotten.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:09 AM

I’ve been using the Eberlestock bags for years and they are truly excellent.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:36 AM

Default Kuiu 15 Degree

I bit the bullet on the Kuiu 15 bag. keeps me really warm. That said, there is probably similar performing bags where you wont be paying an extra couple hundred for the logo on the bag.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:14 AM

Sorry for a bit of a derail but what do you guys use for a sleeping pad? I have used a couple thermarest pads but they seems to start losing air quickly and have to be replaced. I would like to get something more durable even if it is a bit less comfortable.