Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-26-2019, 01:38 PM

Default Gun Identification

I recently acquired a rifle and am looking for help identifying the exact details of it.

It's a model 70 Winchester sporter magnum in 300 win mag, serial #G-1991823 Also it has a muzzle brake on it.

It has an old Bushnell scope on it with no identification.
Not sure how to identify that??

I guess I'm looking to find out a few things.

Year made?
Quality of this time periode?
Approx value?

How bad will this beast kick?

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:48 PM

Default first bg gun?

Hopefully not starting out with a .300 win mag.Post some pics and getting an ID will be a lot easier.Let's see what you got.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
Hopefully not starting out with a .300 win mag.Post some pics and getting an ID will be a lot easier.Let's see what you got.
Heck no.

I hunt with my Weatherby 257. I don't think I'll ever shoot deer with anything else.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:23 PM

Your gun was made in 1991 by the US Repeating Arms Company, common abbreviation is USRAC. They took over after 1964 from the Winchester Repeating Arms Company when all the changes happened to the Model 70. These were not nearly as well made/finished guns as the pre 64s or those made after 2008 when they are referred to as New Winchester production. That said, they are still pretty good guns and the USRAC era is the only period when they made the model 70 in Left Hand.

Last edited by Dean2; 08-26-2019 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:13 PM

The identification markings for the scope is likely on the bottom. You may need a mirror and may only be able to read half of the markings from each side.

I just got some warranty replacement parts for a 1970s vintage Bushnell scope. They were actually quite nice to deal with.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:40 PM

Old 08-29-2019, 09:29 AM

The scope is an old Bushnell Trophy model, likely produced when they were still made in Japan, from the looks of it. They were pretty good scopes but modern optics are a whole bunch better than even the best of the stuff made 30 years ago. Gun appears to be in good shape, it would benefit from a new 4.5-14 Leupold with a Boone and Crockett reticle. Would make it into a great hunting rifle, though it would be plenty serviceable as is if you wanted to use it and not spend much money.
Old 08-29-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Gun appears to be in good shape, it would benefit from a new 4.5-14 Leupold with a Boone and Crockett reticle. Would make it into a great hunting rifle.

I was waiting for the.." If the bolt was on the other side it would be an even better rifle."
Old 08-29-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
I was waiting for the.." If the bolt was on the other side it would be an even better rifle."
No truer words could be spoken. Funny how lefty makes up 10% of the population, 20% of shooters but only a small number of manufacturers even try to attract that market. Good thing is there are a lot more making lefty guns than there used to be.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
No truer words could be spoken. Funny how lefty makes up 10% of the population, 20% of shooters but only a small number of manufacturers even try to attract that market. Good thing is there are a lot more making lefty guns than there used to be.

Used to be tough to find good left handed golf clubs in Canada too back in the day. Kids were converted to RH instead. Lot of left swinging kids up here thanks to hockey, etc so the manufacturers ceded. I remember one or two lefty pros when I was a kid. Recently some of the best hit from the "right" side i.e. Phil and Bubba.

In shooting it's more of a red headed stepchild thing I've heard.