Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-27-2017, 02:56 PM

Default Changing from Resident to Non-Resident Questions

Well, another season in the books, and I am already looking forward to next season, albeit, I could very well be residing in BC at this time next year. So I have a few questions.

First, do I keep the same WIN number, and just change my status to a Non-Resident, or am I starting all over again, and creating a new account AS a Non-Resident?

Second, and this may be answered depending on the answer to the first, but do my priorities carry over, or would they be a wash and I would start from zero as a Non-Resident?

My move will be near the end of next year, and I will be residing here during draw season next summer and hopefully all of hunting season, but going forward I was curious about this issue, as next year could be the year I will be cashing in some draws in the event I won't be a resident after 2018. Any help would be appreicated.

I have asked IronNoggin about what the process is going forward as a BC hunter, but some more clarification about hunting back here in AB after that would be great. By some reactions from numerous folks, it sounds like the Non-Resident priviledge may be a thing of the past soon. Another reason I feel I should cash in my priorities next summer if I'm not able to even apply down the road.

Regards,

B
Old 11-27-2017, 05:23 PM

If you live ( stated place of residence on tax return) for more than 6 months in Alberta before you move then your ok to hunt as a resident next season. Following that you will have to proclaim yourself nonresident for any subsequent season. Use those priorities next year for sure or you’ll lose them. As for BC residents I’m not sure Sorry couldn’t help more.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:50 PM

lose the points ?

im actually wondering this question my self, iam moving to the USA on a visa for a few years.

no way i can just hit pause and keep em for when i return? haha
Old 11-27-2017, 06:11 PM

When I moved I didn't lose any points just change everything on Alberta realm. Same win number and everything just says non resident now
Old 11-27-2017, 06:18 PM

I’ve had the same WIN number since 1998. I only moved here from BC in 2013. Kept all the priority points too.

So, you’ll keep the same WIN number. You’ll also keep your priority points but next year the system may change and non-residents will no longer be allowed to apply. So, all NR hunters will basically lose their priority points. Like I say, “May Change”... Nothing written in stone yet but I bet a lot of NR hunters will use up their priority points next year with the idea things may change sooner or later...

If you talked to Nog though there is probably not a lot more that anyone else can add. He’s pretty much up to speed on the matter and he’s a pretty fart smeller...
Old 11-27-2017, 07:11 PM

If proposed changes to NR Special licences are approved,
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...tter+landowner

ALL NR will lose their points and be ineligible to apply in the draw.
This change, if approved, could be in effect by this spring.

If you don't like the proposal, you better get your opinion in very soon.
There is an AGPAC meeting on the Dec. 5, stakeholders will be giving their position on the proposal at that time.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 11-27-2017, 07:56 PM

So unless you plan on hunting and fishing in alberta while you live in bc, just don't change your win card. That way if you ever move back, you will still have your priority. If you move to BC, you should be way to busy to hunting here to ever worry about hunting in alberta. General open season on stone sheep, big horns, caribou, moose, white tailed deer, two sub species of black tails, mule deer, cougar, bobcat, lynx, elk, wolf, coyote, mountain goat, black bears, wolverine, and draw for dall sheep, and grizz(maybe). And, we aren't trying to cut out non resident hunts so you can take two of your buddies on a hunt every year after you have been here for a couple. Sounds pretty selfish to exclude other canadians from hunting their own country. You have to be here for 6 months before you can hunt, so as soon as you move, get some bc identification. It makes it a lot easier to prove you have been here long enough. Good luck on the move.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:02 PM

just read that proposal to limit non resident hunting draws. It doesn't sound too bad. Sounds like non residents will still be able to get general tags. pretty consistent with other provinces.