Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-26-2017, 10:36 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb356 View Post
Oh ... I forgot that a person has to be an up standing human to voice an opinion on AO ... sorry !!!
As long as your standing then your up, if your up let out a wolf howl for all to hear...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-26-2017, 10:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
As long as your standing then your up, if your up let out a wolf howl for all to hear...
Old 11-26-2017, 10:46 AM

I came across a little whitetail buck shot and left in a field , about a hundred yards from a road, someone had drove up beside it but left it there. Phoned F&W sent them corrodinates and pics,they were to busy to come out, But said they had reports of night hunting in the area, said he come by and check it out in a couple days.
Also found a burnt truck froze in muskeg, called rcmp, next day I drove back to see if they had tried to move it,
They were there with a tow truck, he got stuck, Lol so I pulled him out, burnt truck staying there till next summer, it was stolen last December
Old 11-26-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
No ... raven's ... magpie's ect eat to ... the only waste is if the critter is burry'ed in a landfill !!!

See the big picture boy's ...
There is more than enough game meat burry'ed in landfills. I worked as a scale operator for a landfill for short time after I retired. I was surprised at how much processed and wrapped game meat was disposed of. I would say that more game meat is wasted this way than the amount that is left in the field during hunting season.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
The success of any system, not just hunting laws does rely on good ethical people who know the law and obey the law because it is the right thing to do.

There is not enough enforcement people that can be put in the field to enforce against just the very few that will deliberately violate the law.

If there were no enforcement people out there the good ethical people would still be good ethical people and not turn into poachers.

That said, I wish there was a bit more supervision in the field to remove the poachers who call themselves hunters.
Agreed. But people who are normally ethical in their hunting can be tempted to stray a little, especially if they don't believe they're being monitored.....
Old 11-26-2017, 01:25 PM

Default Missed

Missed the point, a visible prescence is a deterent, like cops walking the beat. Hiding in one spot would be the worst use of time unless on a stakeout. If it was an effective means of policing, poaching would be on the decline, not what appears to be on the rise
Do these guys you figure are spying on everyone hide their trucks? I saw a couple guys kill a moose, load it into the truck. Fish cop drove right on by, the only one I've seen this year.
They are spread too thin. I bet your chances of being caught poaching are under .1 %. So why would someone go through the effort of gutting an animal and leave it?

Quote:
Nope, the province is far from lawless,few Fish cops out and about because they are always getting calls and chasing down leads etc on call ins. Just because you don't get stopped does not mean they are not watching you in your areas.
I spoke to a few over the years and the smart ones hunker down and watch from a distance...this I know because I was muzzleloading many moons ago and came out of a long draw, walked a road then was going to scoot back up into another draw...did not take the cap of the nipple of my muzzleloader..fish cop showed up, made conversation and I decided to pack it in and go back to camp, he offered me a ride but asked me to remove the cap off the nipple...crap..he said he was watching my and others in this area from 2 clicks away with his spotting scope...

I know we want change but in the mean time we have to be the eyes and ears out there to report poachers or suspicious activities.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:31 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Missed the point, a visible prescence is a deterent, like cops walking the beat. Hiding in one spot would be the worst use of time unless on a stakeout. If it was an effective means of policing, poaching would be on the decline, not what appears to be on the rise
Do these guys you figure are spying on everyone hide their trucks? I saw a couple guys kill a moose, load it into the truck. Fish cop drove right on by, the only one I've seen this year.
They are spread too thin. I bet your chances of being caught poaching are under .1 %. So why would someone go through the effort of gutting an animal and leave it?
Point not missed just perhaps in your areas they choose to watch from a distance, maybe it's a hot area for poaching? I agree a presence is a deterrent and we need more foot soldiers out there, hunted took a moose, if it was loaded and legal then why would the fish cop stop? If it was illegally taken and you saw it you should have called that in. Either way your right we need more, hiding, presence and start setting up stings to take out the poachers.

Someone went through the effort of gutting a deer probably got scared off, light from a vehicle?

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-26-2017, 01:40 PM

May have gotten scared off or whatever, the fact that it was gutted then disposed of makes no sense

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2017, 01:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
There is more than enough game meat burry'ed in landfills. I worked as a scale operator for a landfill for short time after I retired. I was surprised at how much processed and wrapped game meat was disposed of. I would say that more game meat is wasted this way than the amount that is left in the field during hunting season.
Yup ... I am not saying a person should indiscrimantly shoot animal's and leave what they don't have a tag for ... my only opinion was if a animal is lost due to missfortune so be it ... nature need help too ... nothing go's to waste ... only in the landfill !!!
Old 11-26-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHLANDER HUNTING View Post
Agreed. But people who are normally ethical in their hunting can be tempted to stray a little, especially if they don't believe they're being monitored.....
Agreed, but the test of a truly ethical person is what he/she will do if there is no chance of getting caught or anyone else knowing.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Yup ... I am not saying a person should indiscrimantly shoot animal's and leave what they don't have a tag for ... my only opinion was if a animal is lost due to missfortune so be it ... nature need help too ... nothing go's to waste ... only in the landfill !!!
I agree that nature will not waste anything. I also think that an animal that was field dressed and apparently abandoned was the victim of much more than misfortune unless it was accidently dropped off the back of a truck and in the process the tag came loose and was lost.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:59 PM

How would the fish cop know if it was legal without stopping to check?
I have no clue if it was legal or not, I'm not a fish cop! Thats the whole premise behind being law enforcement, checking that folks are on the up and up.
I 'm wondering if the high price of beef and chicken has folks "Grocery Shopping" the fields. Sure seems to be a lot of poaching this season.

Quote:
Point not missed just perhaps in your areas they choose to watch from a distance, maybe it's a hot area for poaching? I agree a presence is a deterrent and we need more foot soldiers out there, hunted took a moose, if it was loaded and legal then why would the fish cop stop? If it was illegally taken and you saw it you should have called that in. Either way your right we need more, hiding, presence and start setting up stings to take out the poachers.

Someone went through the effort of gutting a deer probably got scared off, light from a vehicle?