Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-09-2016, 07:29 AM

Absolutely great job and thanks for not second guessing anything let fish and wildlife sort it out.If something looks out of place chances are something dirtys going on.Fyi yesterday I seen fish and wild life up in the Lynnwood area which is awesome and shows there not just controlling the popular spots on the bow and are looking for the out of the way places in the city as well.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:04 AM

Thanks Top Water! If we all reported every infraction, I'm sure they'd be drastically reduced. Thanks for setting the example.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
LOL!!

You ever been out on the water lannie? Ever get out from behind the computer? Your a class act, calling a guy a liar because you can't get off the internet? Perfect example of douchbaggery!!

Great job to the O.P for calling it in, We floated the Bow yesterday and we only saw a couple other people on the river.
I do not see him calling the Op a liar. Just poor grammar which shows the amount of thought in his reply.

To Lannie, I think others have hit the point. You weren't there, you aren't an officer that has to control a situation. The adrenaline rush that hits someone...you don't know which way they will go - fight or flight. There is a reason for handcuffs and it is not in any way excessive.

Good work to the Op. How was the fishing?
Old 04-09-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
I do not see him calling the Op a liar. Just poor grammar which shows the amount of thought in his reply.

To Lannie, I think others have hit the point. You weren't there, you aren't an officer that has to control a situation. The adrenaline rush that hits someone...you don't know which way they will go - fight or flight. There is a reason for handcuffs and it is not in any way excessive.

Good work to the Op. How was the fishing?
Fishing was slow doing it legally. we did better the night before. Lots of guys out last night, and lots of people with their dogs in the river.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:56 AM

You're on a roll, keep up the good work! Glad there are guys like you watching the river.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:56 PM

I sent this story to a friend of mine who is a former fish and wild life officer and he is of the opinion that when you see someone poaching in any way the best thing to do is to report it and let them handle the situation as they see fit. Another benefit that I just thought of is the more calls they get the more proof that these officers need more support to do their jobs.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:03 PM

That's awesome. It's the few bad apples out there that spoil it for the rest of us
Old 04-10-2016, 07:19 PM

hard to believe that people fishing with bait would continue after the C.O checks their tackle and drives away, Game on. Dooh
Old 04-10-2016, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer31 View Post
I sent this story to a friend of mine who is a former fish and wild life officer and he is of the opinion that when you see someone poaching in any way the best thing to do is to report it and let them handle the situation as they see fit. Another benefit that I just thought of is the more calls they get the more proof that these officers need more support to do their jobs.
That is 100 percent correct. The officer that caught the guys on the second night had the call I made, and 2 calls for people fishing in closed waters all at the same time. He came to my call because we saw them with illegal fish. This officer has been in contact with me twice since to follow up with what I saw.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:51 PM

Default Another one on the Oldman today

I seem to be attracting poachers over this past week. After all the crap this week myself and 2 friends decided to get out of the city, and head to the Oldman. 2 of us went on a long hike fishing deep holes for Bull trout. Our other buddy who is fairly new to flyfishing decided to fish the pools close to the truck. When we returned he let us know that the people fishing in the river had caught a large trout, and placed it in a cooler. Unfortunatly there was no cell service where we were, and I did not know what vechile they were driving. We left, and had to drive several miles to get cell service. I phoned RAP and they sent an officer from PIncher Creek. He phone me while he was enroute to get some details of what was going on. He phoned me back about 40 minutes later to let me know that they were gone when he arrived. My friend that witnessed the fish being put into the cooler told them that they were not supposed to be keeping fish, and the dads response was "What ever". Another case of someone who could not care less about the regulations in place to protect our fishery. This has been a crazy 3 days, and hope my next trip out is not filled with drama. Thanks to the F&W officer that tried to make it there in time today.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:08 AM

Amazing how many people have no respect for our natural resources and watersheds. Good on you for making the call for the third time. I too have called but it usually ends the same way. A follow up call to inform me that they left before he arrived, pretty frustrating. Keep up the good work!

Nick
Old 04-11-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Excellent, we need more people reporting poachers.

That is my front licence plate.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:30 AM

Default Cell phone coverage

Sometimes 911 works when there is no signal.
I called it once after a chat with some yahoos in a jeep admitted to me of driving through the Embarrass River and tossing their empties in it. This was at 11am.
I lost the signal once but called them back.
It's worth a try the next time you are out of cell phone range.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:51 AM

Good job TW! Friggen hate poachers.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak1138 View Post
Sometimes 911 works when there is no signal.
I called it once after a chat with some yahoos in a jeep admitted to me of driving through the Embarrass River and tossing their empties in it. This was at 11am.
I lost the signal once but called them back.
It's worth a try the next time you are out of cell phone range.
I'll have to try that. A few times I met people who were obviously abusing the place but was nowhere near any cell phone reception to be able to report in time.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:31 PM

Thanks bud........I tip my cap to you. I once did the same thing to hunters riding a quad right past me at 9:00 in the morning. Could not believe they had the cahoonas to do it with their rifles slung over their shoulders. In any case they were charged, pleaded guilty and I felt pretty good for getting them nailed.