Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-15-2011, 07:50 PM

Default SRD response to hunting draws

I finally received a response from Mel Knight in regard to the situation where the outfitter's pronghorn allocations currently outnumber the tags given to Alberta residents. If it was in e-mail form, I would post it, but it is in paper form so I will summarize. Basically it states that the outfitter allocations will remain as is until after 2012. At that time SRD and APOS will review the allocation numbers and then set the allocations. For Alberta residents that pretty much means that we should be prepared for more disappointment next year as it isn't likely that the pronghorn population will fully recover in one year.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:50 PM

I think you need a title with a bit more Pizz azz.

Thanks for writing the gov. Look forward to seeing the actual letter.

The SRD Minister does have the authority to reduce Outfitter allocations mid-policy for conservation concerns. But that would be out of character for Mel. This PC Gov. only concern seems to be to reduce Resident opportunity.

I consider this yet another reason to throw the PC bums out of government. We really need a change.

Wonder if APOS will change this comment from their webpage to something more accurate? Outfitter Cougar allocation quoata is over 20% of the resident quota, and now several Pronghorn managemant areas have MORE Outfitter tags than Resident tags.

Quote:
4) What impact does outfitted hunting have on resident hunting opportunities?

The Outfitter Guide Policy, which is reviewed every five years, is designed to provide a balance between resident and NR/NRA hunting opportunities. The policy considers resident demand, population estimates,harvest rates, draw success, etc., and generates an allowable NR/NRA harvest as a percentage of the allowable resident harvest. Where resident opportunities are very restricted (such as goats & turkey), there is no outfitted hunting. For species where residents are on a limited draw entry (ie. mule deer), NR/NRA may be allocated a small percentage (3-5%). For species like black bears, where the harvest goal is not achieved by resident hunters, a greater percentage is allocated to the outfitting industry.