Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-17-2020, 10:24 AM

Default Best Drill Powered Ice Auger

Is the k drill the best for a drill powered ice auger attachment or what are you guys using? With the little that I fish anymore, I was thinking of simplifying my life as I already have a great cordless drill.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:15 PM

https://youtu.be/dnNUjlFjAp8

I watched this video and decided to go with the strike master. Mine is connected to a 996 Dewalt, and it makes me smile every time I use it. I haven’t even started my Eskimo since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2020, 03:19 PM

I'm using an 8" Eskimo Pistol Bit this season. Works awesome. Nice and lightweight.

Old 02-17-2020, 08:12 PM
Banned

Has anyone tryed just the adapter and an auger off of a gas unit, i have an 8 and a 10 plus an 18 volt dewalt with 4 batteries
Old 02-17-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggerfish View Post
Has anyone tryed just the adapter and an auger off of a gas unit, i have an 8 and a 10 plus an 18 volt dewalt with 4 batteries

This thread from last month should help.

D.

Anyone use a 18V Electric Drill with a 10" Auger - Looks like it would work!

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=374625

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 02-17-2020 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggerfish View Post
Where would someone find this adapter
Old 02-18-2020, 03:33 PM

I have an 8 inch k-drill. My 20v Canadian tire drill struggles to cut more than a couple holes. My buddy's 20v dewalt had it go through ice like butter.

I like it but it's a big unit with aggressive blades so requires quite a bit of power.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
Where would someone find this adapter

I just bought and adapter at Bass Pro on the weekend. It was under $40. I’m sure Cabela’s would have them too. I just put it on a steel 8” StrikeMaster because the engine blew. I haven’t had the chance to try it yet but I will be revamping it to include the frisbee!

Old 02-18-2020, 08:08 PM

Old 02-18-2020, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o.w.l View Post

Use an extra small bungie to hold the disk onto the drill. The other strap broke on me and I almost lost the drill a few years back n

I like the strike master or finbore drills with curved blades. Seem to suck down into the ice without much downward pressure.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-19-2020, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Use an extra small bungie to hold the disk onto the drill. The other strap broke on me and I almost lost the drill a few years back n

I like the strike master or finbore drills with curved blades. Seem to suck down into the ice without much downward pressure.

The strap has already broke! Lol. I put a frisbee between the adapter and the auger so if it does come out of the drill it won’t go down the hole.

Old 02-19-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o.w.l View Post
The strap has already broke! Lol. I put a frisbee between the adapter and the auger so if it does come out of the drill it won’t go down the hole.

When I get back to Sylvan I plan to buy a white kitchen cutting board & cutting it down to 11"- 12" round disk, for my new 10" Strikemaster, don't want to experience an ice auger rescue like this guy.

I've read a number of threads were guys have lost their auger down the hole, it happens quite often.

D.

From Ice Shanty - P.Dona Feb 12, 2020. Alright, this past weekend, first hole on Monday, and my Nils slips out of my Dewalt, through my home made frisby auger catcher and down 32 feet ! Sad that I can see it on my Aqua View : ( I went to a hardware store got a magnet and cordage. Had it to the hole twice ! One little flinch and down it went both times : (Stuck the camera back down and nothing to be found : ( I have friends that will drill more holes and hopefully retrieve it.)

Another Fella Posted ..... I was on the fence about weather I needed a plate for my drill setup! Found a great deal and got off the fence. Even with the plate I check my chuck every couple of holes just because. Anyway was out Tuesday and heard some wild laughter. Looked over and saw one guy standing with a drill in his hand and his buddy pointing to the clam plate on top of the hole he had just drilled. Keep it safe! JDL

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 02-19-2020 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:04 AM

I had also thought of using a lid from a 5 gallon pail, probably thicker and tougher than a frisbee

Old 02-19-2020, 06:42 PM

I got a Strike Master Lite Flite 8" paired up tight using a Clam Plate and powered with a Milwaukee Fuel 2804. One of the best hard water purchases I have ever made, really is night and day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200219-182321_Gallery.jpg (26.1 KB, 62 views)
Old 02-22-2020, 10:22 PM

My go to Drill Powered Ice Auger for the past 6 years. Every time it goes out it easily drills anywhere from 50-60 holes. I don't know how to sit and wait for fish to come to me, I go out and look for them.

This Milwaukee is 18v and uses an 8" converted hand drill flight with a hand crafted 14" extension. This set up works each & every time it goes out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Milwaukee,b.jpg (35.6 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Milwaukee,c.jpg (49.0 KB, 40 views)