Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-09-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapaBear View Post
Was out at Silver Beach yesterday and the walleye didn't even show up until an hour after sunset, then filled a couple of tags.
I set up on Silver Beach yesterday. Arrived at 0800 set up and fishing by 830. Two rods in the tent first 55cm walleye at 10:45. I had two rods going in the tent between 1 and 5 I landed 16 Walleye filled one class C tag. While packing up around 6:30 filled a second tag. I’d of stayed later but had to be home by 8.

During the rush hour I had several double headers and lost way more than I caught. It was hands down the best walleye fishing I’ve experienced through the ice

BW
Old 02-14-2020, 12:02 PM

Based on Bigwoodsman's great day, I might try setting up earlier. Has anyone driven out to Silver Beach this week since we had that snow and wind? Thanks
Old 02-14-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Based on Bigwoodsman's great day, I might try setting up earlier. Has anyone driven out to Silver Beach this week since we had that snow and wind? Thanks
I caught most of my fish between 1:00 and 5:00.

BW
Old 02-14-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:

Drifts are bad out there
Doable but keep an eye out
You got blown in last Sunday had to buy another set of chains
But then again winds aren’t usually 75k+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2020, 03:27 PM

*i got blown in

Old 02-14-2020, 03:53 PM

I'm going to skidoo it this weekend. Just cause...
Old 02-16-2020, 04:10 PM

Second day out on the lake. Mulhurst first afternoon, nothing. Sitting in the tent now trying to find tips to get some tags filled. Will stay late tonight seems to be a good strategy. Decided on PP today, and so did alot of others. So well see how the evening goes.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dend View Post
Second day out on the lake. Mulhurst first afternoon, nothing. Sitting in the tent now trying to find tips to get some tags filled. Will stay late tonight seems to be a good strategy. Decided on PP today, and so did alot of others. So well see how the evening goes.
We got a 45cm walleye and nothing else
Old 02-19-2020, 08:25 PM
Banned

Went out to Mulhurst at the beginning of the month and also this last weekend. Got a 16" Walleye then and got played by a bigger Pike this last time, he just circled and waited then disappeared only to come out of nowhere to hit the bait and leave the hook. I have some C-tags to fill so I'd like to go out there again. Would like to try a different area this next time.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.crentist View Post
Went out to Mulhurst at the beginning of the month and also this last weekend. Got a 16" Walleye then and got played by a bigger Pike this last time, he just circled and waited then disappeared only to come out of nowhere to hit the bait and leave the hook. I have some C-tags to fill so I'd like to go out there again. Would like to try a different area this next time.
I wish ya luck. Mulhurst seems to be the only safe area to drive on. There are trails to other parts but if ya have to pass someone you can get planted in a hurry. The only place I haven’t tried to drive on is Grandview. If you have a skidoo there are a lot of good places to try. Now if I only had one. Hope ya get to fill your tags.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
I wish ya luck. Mulhurst seems to be the only safe area to drive on. There are trails to other parts but if ya have to pass someone you can get planted in a hurry. The only place I haven’t tried to drive on is Grandview. If you have a skidoo there are a lot of good places to try. Now if I only had one. Hope ya get to fill your tags.
Have you tried getting on at Johnsonia beach? A mile west of AJ's Trading Post and straight south. Road follows frontage going east when you get to the launch.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-19-2020, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Have you tried getting on at Johnsonia beach? A mile west of AJ's Trading Post and straight south. Road follows frontage going east when you get to the launch.
No i havent Thanks for the info as I appreciate all the help.I can usually get on somewhere but travelling any distance out is the problem.
Old 02-27-2020, 07:34 PM

Has anyone driven out to the point at Silver beach within the last few days?It was really bad 3 weeks ago and i was hoping there was some traffic out there to make a decent path.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:49 PM
Banned

I’d like to hit Pigeon this weekend as well, any updates would be welcome. Just going to the Mulhurst side
Old 03-14-2020, 04:06 PM

Went out to Pigeon Lake today. There is about 7 inches of crusted snow on top of a foot is sugar. I got out about 1 km from the Mulhurst boat launch and snow golf course and buried myself in a drift got high centred. Took out the shovel and dug myself out, after an hour or so was turned around and back on my track. Decide to come home. Was a nice drive and got away from the COVID 19 news for a few hours.

Now I need to find a snowmobile!

BW
Old 03-14-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Went out to Pigeon Lake today. There is about 7 inches of crusted snow on top of a foot is sugar. I got out about 1 km from the Mulhurst boat launch and snow golf course and buried myself in a drift got high centred. Took out the shovel and dug myself out, after an hour or so was turned around and back on my track. Decide to come home. Was a nice drive and got away from the COVID 19 news for a few hours.

BW
This is why i sold all my ice fishing stuff last year.
Buy a sled and a trailer then find a place to store it - nope
It was a long ****ing winter believe me !
Its going to be a great summer. With the low fuel prices I will be at the lake every day
Old 03-14-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
This is why i sold all my ice fishing stuff last year.
Buy a sled and a trailer then find a place to store it - nope
It was a long ****ing winter believe me !
Its going to be a great summer. With the low fuel prices I will be at the lake every day
Amen brother!
Old 03-14-2020, 10:17 PM
Banned

Quote:

BW
That golf tourney sure made for a rough morning navigating around but we managed to find a spot and set up shop. They mentioned someone got very stuck trying to fish so we should take it easy. Either way, we got skunked but saw some walleye and burbot. Pigeon hasn’t been very productive for us this year but then again I’m new to this.
Old 03-14-2020, 10:19 PM

Quote:

BW

Brilliant my man

Old 03-17-2020, 04:41 PM

Default Any Provincial Park updates

Might head there Friday. Just wondering if there is good trails to follow. Better get out on the ice away from the plague before the government closes that too. The walleye might catch the virus. Lol
Old 03-17-2020, 08:09 PM

Was wondering if anyone has been able to drive out there on a quad.Im really hoping to get out to the middle a couple times before the season is finished and i dont have a skidoo.Good luck to everyone heading out for the last 2 weeks.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:19 PM

Anyone have a report on the access at Grandview? Looking to get out tomorrow. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-22-2020, 05:05 PM

Finally was able to make it out to my favourite spot in the middle for the first time this ice season and it has been unreal compared to the last 10 outings. I had fish on camera the first hole I checked for structure and had one on the jawjacker before I even set up. I’ve caught a 15 so far and they have been all different class sizes. First time for me this year that they have been aggressive. It’s a relief to have a great day after a lot of terrible trips this year. Hope others are having just as good as me.
Old 03-22-2020, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
Finally was able to make it out to my favourite spot in the middle for the first time this ice season and it has been unreal compared to the last 10 outings. I had fish on camera the first hole I checked for structure and had one on the jawjacker before I even set up. I’ve caught a 15 so far and they have been all different class sizes. First time for me this year that they have been aggressive. It’s a relief to have a great day after a lot of terrible trips this year. Hope others are having just as good as me.
Glad to hear you’re having a decent day. Did you drive out or sled?

BW
Old 03-22-2020, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Glad to hear you’re having a decent day. Did you drive out or sled?

BW
Drove out on a quad from Mulhurst.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:39 AM

No whites at the end of this season. Came close though. Walleye though. Hitting my tiny little WW hooks with wreckless abandon. Each time I thought it was a white chasing. They are aggressive right now.

Trucks were getting on again yesterday as the snow is softening nicely. Should be better travel on Pigeon from here out.

I'm looking elsewhere...just need to figure out where that is...
Old 03-23-2020, 10:08 AM

Hey snapfisher. Do you mind me asking where people were accessing with trucks?
Old 03-23-2020, 10:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderprider View Post
Hey snapfisher. Do you mind me asking where people were accessing with trucks?
You shouldn't have any trouble getting on from Mulhurst. Last week people were driving on with Mazda 3s and Jettas. The ice golf tourney folks plowed the roads so it is easy access to plenty of good spots
Old 03-23-2020, 11:41 AM

Thank you sir! Don’t even care if I catch anything. Just need to get out.
Old 03-24-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
No whites at the end of this season. Came close though. Walleye though. Hitting my tiny little WW hooks with wreckless abandon. Each time I thought it was a white chasing. They are aggressive right now.

Trucks were getting on again yesterday as the snow is softening nicely. Should be better travel on Pigeon from here out.

I'm looking elsewhere...just need to figure out where that is...
Was there any flood water? Thinking of heading out Friday evening after work and doing a camp out for a night or two.

BW