Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-23-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROA View Post
Ya let’s take genetically inferior perch prone to stunting to other lakes so we can continue the Albert tradition of **** perch lakes. Ya? How bout no. Genetic quality makes a big big difference.

30 years ago some perch were taken out of a lake I know with superior genetics. They were put into 2 other lakes close by (done by FW so don’t get ****y). All 3 of those lakes continue to produce astonishing 14”+ fish to this day even with the crazy pressure. Genetics+lake fertility+management = giants.
Yeah you are 100% incorrect and have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. You cant say a perch is prone to stunting genetically because it is stunded. Sure some may grow larger that others, but the main factor in stunting is overpopulation. Just ask Sundance Fisher when populations were low that lake grew true giant perch, I remember looking at pics green with envy. Same with Crimson lake. The fish only got small after the population expanded. The larger fish die off or are caught and you are left with a large reproducing population of stunted fish with the same genetics as the big fish that spawned them originally.

Cascade lake, arguably the best jumbo perch lake in North America right now had its perch population re established in 2004 to 2006 by stocking it with stunted perch from a lake in Oregon. Now perch are growing to 17inches and nearly three pounds.

Dont judge a perches genetic potential by its environmentally restrained size.

Then there is the whole factor of epigenetics, that's where it gets interesting.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 03-23-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
By the way, you're welcome on the idea of using stunted perch from urban lakes to stock other lakes.

Now lets see where the Bios could take a bunch of Perch to re establish a population.

Gull Lake, Sylvan Lake, Eagle Lake, Pigeon Lake, Wizard Lake, South Buck Lake, ....

And it would only cost the Province the wages they are paying staff anyway, and a tank of Diesel for the Truck.

Drewski
Been chatting for years on that every since a while back we gave perch to Bass Pro for their tanks. Before the stunting. Never gained traction however I would still be supportive. F&W never expressed serious interest. People seem to want a put and take perch fishery.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-23-2019, 11:24 AM

Random stunted perch are not the ones you want to bucket into every lake. I was clear on factors beyond stunting. Genetics are important. Letting the big ones go is much more than the number of eggs a fish carries in its belly. Though that is what every idiot keeps repeating, “hey man it’s all about the amount of eggs” no it’s about maintaining genetics. Start with the best mich better chance to get the best. Let the best go to retain the best genetics in the lake. It works.

Last edited by ROA; 03-23-2019 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
Yeah you are 100% incorrect and have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. You cant say a perch is prone to stunting genetically because it is stunded. Sure some may grow larger that others, but the main factor in stunting is overpopulation. Just ask Sundance Fisher when populations were low that lake grew true giant perch, I remember looking at pics green with envy. Same with Crimson lake. The fish only got small after the population expanded. The larger fish die off or are caught and you are left with a large reproducing population of stunted fish with the same genetics as the big fish that spawned them originally.

Cascade lake, arguably the best jumbo perch lake in North America right now had its perch population re established in 2004 to 2006 by stocking it with stunted perch from a lake in Oregon. Now perch are growing to 17inches and nearly three pounds.

Dont judge a perches genetic potential by its environmentally restrained size.

Then there is the whole factor of epigenetics, that's where it gets interesting.

Yes. Agreed. Genetics are limited in a bucket stocked lake. Therefore. I Wouldn’t suggest putting in a current perch lake. I would in a put and take fishery.

Stunting is purely a factor of food availability. Take stunted perch and give them food they start to grow again.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-23-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Random stunted perch are not the ones you want to bucket into every lake. I was clear on factors beyond stunting. Genetics are important. Letting the big ones go is much more than the number of eggs a fish carries in its belly. Though that is what every idiot keeps repeating, “hey man it’s all about the amount of eggs” no it’s about maintaining genetics. Start with the best mich better chance to get the best. Let the best go to retain the best genetics in the lake. It works.
Without knowing the original genetics or growing fry from Sundance stock under good conditions no one knows the potential of these perch.

Test stocking in a pond with a smaller number of perch where presently does not have a fishery would not hurt. Or stalking into lakes where pike/walleye are lacking baitfish and depleted perch stocks

There is use for these perch beyond culling them it is more of a question of for what purpose to create a fishery or enhance a fishery as a food source for predatory fish
Old 03-23-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I think bucketting them into lakes that dont have a perch population that once did would be better than not stocking anything. I think we would be pleasantly surprised and I would be open to a trial test run to see what happens. If they dont grow theyll just get devoured by pike and walleye anyways.

So here is the way I look at it with what you said about releasing the big fish to maintain genetics. That 14 inch perch was once a 6 inch spawning female, 7 inch, 8 inch.... you get my point. Every generation along the way that it spawned would have the same genetics passed on as the fish does when it is 14 inch. Each year it has a bigger genetic influence because more progeny are made each year, but the genetic makeup does not change with the size of fish. So perch reach sexual maturity at 3 years of age. They have been reproducing for likely 7 to 8 generations already and are nearing the end of there lifespan.

The best arguement I've heard for releasing big fish is, " if you want to catch a 15 inch perch you have to release the 14s." Makes sense. But these are old fish and most are dieing of natural causes by the time they get that big.

Thank you for releasing big perch! It does help trophy potential of fisheries. Most people fry them though. Me included since the dawn of my time (genetic predisposition bonk for me, I'm in recovery), but I think I am being influenced to let the bigger ones go by many. So maybe we will let some big fish go this next week. Freezers full of salmon anyways.

Thanks for your thoughts I know we are all concerned and want to have great Alberta fisheries.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
Old 03-23-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Without knowing the original genetics or growing fry from Sundance stock under good conditions no one knows the potential of these perch.

Test stocking in a pond with a smaller number of perch where presently does not have a fishery would not hurt. Or stalking into lakes where pike/walleye are lacking baitfish and depleted perch stocks

There is use for these perch beyond culling them it is more of a question of for what purpose to create a fishery or enhance a fishery as a food source for predatory fish
Here is a Sundance perch before food became the limiting factor.

https://www.facebook.com/LakeSundanc...type=3&sfns=mo photo is down a ways or try this

https://twitter.com/iwanttofish/stat...074986499?s=21
Old 03-23-2019, 02:23 PM

Once a lake has been decimated of the large gene fish it is hard for that to come back to what it was. If you decimate it further you get an in inbred bunch of genetically inferior fish. It’s not only the growth genes either it’s the inheritance of diversity in behaviour. From spawning locations, styles and timing to feeding habits. That is where Albert is today, weak fish, runts, easy to over fish because they all act the same, hardships in spawning because they all do it the same.

So keep your inbread pond runts in the pond. Thanx
Old 03-23-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Once a lake has been decimated of the large gene fish it is hard for that to come back to what it was. If you decimate it further you get an in inbred bunch of genetically inferior fish. It’s not only the growth genes either it’s the inheritance of diversity in behaviour. From spawning locations, styles and timing to feeding habits. That is where Albert is today, weak fish, runts, easy to over fish because they all act the same, hardships in spawning because they all do it the same.

So keep your inbread pond runts in the pond. Thanx
Did you see the photo of the runt from Sundance?

Also learn about perch stunting. You know not what you are talking about when it comes to these perch.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:47 PM

It’s not just the overpopulation. It’s other things I have said. I am involved in the management of a private lake in the US at my other home. I am no idiot like you guys accuse me of. When you guys work with real bios on a real lake get back to me until then I see a bunch of ill informed Albertans that think they know it all. I gave you information from my experience you should think about it but you wont because we have the pond professional bucket brigade with all their Alberta trout welfare experience yapping non stop.

Last edited by ROA; 03-23-2019 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
It’s not just the overpopulation. I am involved in the management of a private lake in the US at my other home. I am no idiot like you guys accuse me of.
If your theory is correct, explain cascade? They stocked it with runts.

Old 03-23-2019, 02:55 PM

You were there ?

Last edited by Morbius131; 03-24-2019 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
It’s not just the overpopulation. It’s other things I have said. I am involved in the management of a private lake in the US at my other home. I am no idiot like you guys accuse me of. When you guys work with real bios on a real lake get back to me until then I see a bunch of ill informed Albertans that think they know it all. I gave you information from my experience you should think about it but you wont because we have the pond professional bucket brigade with all their Alberta trout welfare experience yapping non stop.
You make an assumption I didn’t get my university education in fisheries...worked in the field and have done extensive research.

Maybe listening is a two way street.

If you think we are supportive of moving fish around willy nilly, you are wrong.

I am not in favour of moving perch to an existing perch lake.

But a lake that winterkills and could provide a perch put and take fishery has merit.

Chow

Sun
Old 03-23-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
You were there ? You don’t know **** about the fish put in so zip it.
Wow, why so hostile? I have been there the last four years. No I was not present during stocking. In life you dont always have to be present to know what has happened. I wasn't present when they figured out anything I know and use daily at my job, but I read about it. This is all well documented. Here is one such report of stocking efforts on cascade. https://idfg.idaho.gov/press/making-perch-lake-cascade

It states 193,000 adult perch weighing 32,300 pounds were transplanted. You can do the math. Those were runts.

Old 03-23-2019, 03:08 PM

Good keep your inbred runts in your pond then.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Here is a Sundance perch before food became the limiting factor.

https://www.facebook.com/LakeSundanc...type=3&sfns=mo photo is down a ways or try this

https://twitter.com/iwanttofish/stat...074986499?s=21

Nothing wrong with those perch easy to expect average quality out of them. It looks like more of an issue of suitable lakes where stocking of perch would be beneficial. I know some think put and take lake but without predation odds are you run the risk of creating a stunted perch pond in the long run because how they reproduce

Issue is cooperation from fisheries or if they would be interested in a project

ROA my experience goes well beyond just being an educated fisherman on this
subject
Old 03-23-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
Wow, why so hostile? I have been there the last four years. No I was not present during stocking. In life you dont always have to be present to know what has happened. I wasn't present when they figured out anything I know and use daily at my job, but I read about it. This is all well documented. Here is one such report of stocking efforts on cascade. https://idfg.idaho.gov/press/making-perch-lake-cascade

It states 193,000 adult perch weighing 32,300 pounds were transplanted. You can do the math. Those were runts.

Huge diversity. Not inbred pond runts or it wouldn’t be the best lake in North America

Keep your pond runts out of the lakes.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Huge diversity. Not inbred pond runts or it wouldn’t be the best lake in North America

Keep your pond runts out of the lakes.
Hey ROA, thanks for speaking up. What do you think about using those runt pond perch as prey species for predators in other lakes?

2nd, even other forage species, non-game fish, re-establishment? E.g. spot tail shiners.

Not random dumping but selective into lakes that could use a prey species bump up and have the food, forage and environment needed.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:44 AM
Banned

Seems some people showed up to a gun fight with just a pocket knife.

Sundance and Brandon are both extremely knowledgable. You guys get the final word.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:39 AM

Switching topics

We have had brook trout and brown trout in the lake now for 2 years. This winter we saw a massive drop in catch rates and a distinct increase in average size. Where one once stopped catching anything over 6 inch now the average size is closer to 7 inch. Also seeing 8 inch perch more commonly with the occasional 9 inch and rare 10 inch.

Definitely seeing a shift in our perch population both in terms of numbers and size.

5 years ago when we put a camera down and spun it around you could count 200-1000 in some areas. Massive clouds of perch. Back then I could easily catch 300 perch in a day. Now when I saw a few camera shots and talked to those using camera they can see 10 and then 1-5 swimming by now and again.

Now I am not purported to have perch under control however I am hoping the brooks and browns are devestating the young of the year and with brooks and browns now to 15 inch...maybe they can eat perch as large as 3 inches.

Our browns appear to be growing long yet skinny. Putting any food towards length which hopefully means targeting longer prey.

We have also treated our lake with copper sulphate to treat for algae and maybe that has harmed the perch fry even in low concentration through direct impact or indirect through plankton (key food for young of the year perch).

It will be interesting to see how it goes.

I really really want to stock tiger trout however the process is not quick to have them approved.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Hey ROA, thanks for speaking up. What do you think about using those runt pond perch as prey species for predators in other lakes?

2nd, even other forage species, non-game fish, re-establishment? E.g. spot tail shiners.

Not random dumping but selective into lakes that could use a prey species bump up and have the food, forage and environment needed.
We have a pond that is full of stunted pan fish and bass we used to net and put into the lake. The inbred pond fish are easy pray and act stupidly, nature’s way of cleaning the gene pool I guess. That went on for years and back then we never got a quality fishery. In 2006 we killed the lake and started over now with the genetic strain we have put into the lake we don’t risk interbreeding the bass with the ones from the pond. The resulting hybrid bass interbreeding with our lake’s Florida strain are known as F1’s (if I remember) and do not posses the genetics to grow big. A juiced up lake is hard enough to maintain as it is so forget about putting in low caloric and lipid fish that could ruin genetics when things like trout will grow bass bigger and have no chance of hybridization with the residents.

There is millions of dollars spent and many people that have dedicated thier lives with passion to grow 200” whitetails and double digit bass. The amount of work and progress done privately would blow your mind. Check out things like the sharelunker program. There is one fish in particular that has its DNA traced back two 2 or 3 generations of fish from the program. We use DNA testing as well in our lake and have found that we need to keep introducing quality fish over the years to keep the size up.

Anyways I am done arguing with Alberta’s socialist, fish tax, trout welfare idiots.

I’ll add one more thing because I am nice. If you guys want to do something fun and cool perch are one of the easiest fish to age. A quick YouTube search for perch age will show you how. The oldest perch I have ever found was up here, a 12 year old female and was only 11.25”. Also the youngest 12” perch I have found was only 5 years old. The lakes i fish up here the perch size for age follows the shrimp population fairly closely. Have fun.

Last edited by ROA; 03-24-2019 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:09 PM

Sharelunker....bass...this isn't Texas!! Have you done any work on Alberta fish such as walleye or northern pike? If you have, please elaborate. Otherwise you seen to be using the wrong species paint brush. It doesn't take a genius or bio to smell out B.S. if this is the case.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:30 PM

Well then have fun with your disaster of a ****ty little pond. What do i know about anything. My lake is doing great by the way. Typical govt attitude. Truly am sorry for sharing information outside your little govt bubble. Guys like you will always control the narrative to be sure alberta stays on trout welfare just like you intended. Mean while the rest of the world grows and learns. Libertarian capitalism for the win.

Last edited by ROA; 03-24-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Well then have fun with your disaster of a ****ty little pond. What do i know about anything. My lake is doing great by the way. Typical govt attitude. Truly am sorry for sharing information outside your little govt bubble. Guys like you will always control the narrative to be sure alberta stays on trout welfare just like you intended. Mean while the rest of the world grows and learns. Libertarian capitalism for the win.
Control the narrative? You can't even answer a simple question. Move along troll. Go troll your "own lake"
Old 03-24-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
We have a pond that is full of stunted pan fish and bass we used to net and put into the lake. The inbred pond fish are easy pray and act stupidly, nature’s way of cleaning the gene pool I guess. That went on for years and back then we never got a quality fishery. In 2006 we killed the lake and started over now with the genetic strain we have put into the lake we don’t risk interbreeding the bass with the ones from the pond. The resulting hybrid bass interbreeding with our lake’s Florida strain are known as F1’s (if I remember) and do not posses the genetics to grow big. A juiced up lake is hard enough to maintain as it is so forget about putting in low caloric and lipid fish that could ruin genetics when things like trout will grow bass bigger and have no chance of hybridization with the residents.

There is millions of dollars spent and many people that have dedicated thier lives with passion to grow 200” whitetails and double digit bass. The amount of work and progress done privately would blow your mind. Check out things like the sharelunker program. There is one fish in particular that has its DNA traced back two 2 or 3 generations of fish from the program. We use DNA testing as well in our lake and have found that we need to keep introducing quality fish over the years to keep the size up.

Anyways I am done arguing with Alberta’s socialist, fish tax, trout welfare idiots.

I’ll add one more thing because I am nice. If you guys want to do something fun and cool perch are one of the easiest fish to age. A quick YouTube search for perch age will show you how. The oldest perch I have ever found was up here, a 12 year old female and was only 11.25”. Also the youngest 12” perch I have found was only 5 years old. The lakes i fish up here the perch size for age follows the shrimp population fairly closely. Have fun.
Stop insulting and stop posting on this thread. Your attempt to sound knowledgeable comparing bass and sunfish to perch is a huge stretch. Bass genetics is an entirely different topic that we are not even talking about.

Again. Move along. Not wanted on this thread.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:34 PM

Yes we have perch. Not in Texas by the way just sharing information about probably the best place and best people to learn about fish management as a whole. Anyways, headed to one of the best walleye lakes tomorrow to meet some buds from south of the boarder. Your guys poor attitude will give us lots to laugh about.

Let’s do this again some time. Or no?
Old 03-24-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Yes we have perch. Not in Texas by the way just sharing information about probably the best place and best people to learn about fish management as a whole. Anyways, headed to one of the best walleye lakes tomorrow to meet some buds from south of the boarder. Your guys poor attitude will give us lots to laugh about.

Let’s do this again some time. Or no?
Just stop insulting people and go away.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:50 PM

Very cool day however fished yesterday and today for perch and only caught trout. All rainbows. No brookies. Can’t walk On the ice any more as the lake is closed. A few holes were opening up. Heard some people fell through at Mackenzie. Strange ice these days.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:18 PM

Default Lake Sundance in Calgary is now ice free

Ice went off the lake today. A day of shifting wind direction and light ripples has taken the last of the ice off.

Start of the open water season!
Old 07-01-2019, 07:22 PM

Default Very odd perch situation

4 years back I dropped a fish camera down while ice fishing...spun it around and counted about 1000 perch.

Fast forward to his past winter and tried it again. Counted 8 perch.

Now this weekend we tried to catch perch and couldn’t find a perch to save my bacon.

Went from catching hundreds a day to...I haven’t been able to catch a perch in two months! In twenty hours fishing shallow and deep.

Thinking about what variables have changed we have stopped netting perch. Still encouraging fishing for them.

Still using Reward for aquatic plant control and copper sulphate for algae control.

In 2016 I stock the lake with brook trout and brown trout.

Could them predaceous trout been that successful in controlling perch?

It is a real mystery at the moment.

I can only hope we have beaten them down.