Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2018, 02:22 PM

Went for a drive today into downtown Red Deer. Jesus, there are people set up in tarps on 51st Ave and 49th St. That's crazy. It's kind of like something out of a movie. Saw a post on facebook about it just now.

Total mayhem at Turning Point and the empty lot on 52nd St by Saros. It's like the Walking Dead come true.
Are going insane.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:03 PM

Another thank you to Rachel Notley, You kill an Oil Industry, and your Cities become Super Slums. Good going Rachel We are now fore sure Canada's Dirty Cousins.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:29 PM

The Facebook pictures are just disgusting. Needles everywhere.

Give a junkie an inch- never a good idea.
Far better to arrest for illegal possession, give them a month in a cell to sweat it out of their system. No coddling, Lock them up with no privileges just food and water to survive being cold turkey. Double the time for each subsequent arrest.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-17-2018, 03:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post

Far better to arrest for illegal possession, give them a month in a cell to sweat it out of their system. No coddling, Lock them up with no privileges just food and water to survive being cold turkey. Double the time for each subsequent arrest.
Seriously, what rock have you been living under for the last 50 years? This doesn't work. Hasn't worked before, won't work in the future.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
Seriously, what rock have you been living under for the last 50 years? This doesn't work. Hasn't worked before, won't work in the future.
How many success stories have you witnessed coming out of safe injection sites?

Honest question.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:

Yikes. Keep in mind Ken that a person can die from opioid withdrawal. I know you have a very harsh stance and opinion and I get that however...
Old 09-17-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Yikes. Keep in mind Ken that a person can die from opioid withdrawal. I know you have a very harsh stance and opinion and I get that however...
Or they could die from an overdose....these are serious drugs that if a person takes ONE TIME they become addicted. Nobody forces them to take drugs.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by full_throttle View Post
Or they could die from an overdose....these are serious drugs that if a person takes ONE TIME they become addicted. Nobody forces them to take drugs.
I'd guess that most of these addictions start off with a prescription from a doctor. No one is forcing them to take drugs, but living in chronic pain isn't really the best option.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by full_throttle View Post
You don’t say? It’s the very reason I have custody of two children. Thanks tips..
Old 09-17-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
I am not a Liberal, and coddling them doesn't work. Cold turkey may be the only thing that saves their lives. Whats your idea to fix it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
However what? Locking someone up for illegal activity is bad? I didn't say take them out back and shoot them, I said give them uncoddled Sheriff Joe treatment. They would surely monitor them.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-17-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
How many success stories have you witnessed coming out of safe injection sites?

Honest question.
I agree Kurt. Safe injection sites encourage addiction. They are a public gesture of acceptance of hard drug usage and to the addict it makes their activity less stigmatized and more socially acceptable being that the government is helping enable them. It is becoming an accepted social norm, almost a government funded special interest group.

If you look at Vancouver who has had safe injection sites for years they do save lives, Naloxone anti dote to fentanyl overdoses is constantly used to save lives on the same repeat customers over and over. Ambulance calls to areas around safe injection sites responding to overdose calls are through the roof, ambulance services are stretched beyond their limits and the number of junkies keeps growing. The costs are enormous and it doesn't seem to slow the flow of new addicts.

The sentiment to try to help addicts is admirable there has to be another way besides Safe injection sites. It also doesn't help the vast majority of addicts who don't use safe injection sites, who are still functional, have jobs and families from nipping their addiction in the bud and preventing a spiral to the bottom. We need a more proactive approach to the drug problem. All we do now is wait until they are homeless junkies who we give clean needles, a place to shoot up and an attendant who is trained to inject Nalaxone when they OD. We need to kill the cancer before it metastasizes instead of feeding it with clean needles.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-regard View Post
I live in Lethbridge where we've had a safe consumption site for awhile now. Maybe you've seen some of the news, things have definitely gotten much worse around here.

Local businesses near the SCS are reporting non-stop issues with the users, security problems, garbage, people shooting up etc. Not to mention huge losses in business as customers don't want to go anywhere near the place.

Vehicle break ins are way up. Possibly the worst part of it is the increase in needles and drug paraphernalia that is being found all over the city, a lot of which seems to end up in playgrounds.

Parents in the city are in an uproar, there have been many cases of kids finding/playing with this crap, and several kids have been poked, which according to a news article from the other day leads to 1 year of blood tests for disease detection.

Not good.
Yup, that whole area is turning into a ****hole. Businesses in the area that were thriving, are dying. A crap mayor and his crap ideas needs to get turfed. Everyone has ideas on everything, But catering to druggies will never be a good idea.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Safe injection sites encourage addiction.
Bullseye.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gade81 View Post
Yup, that whole area is turning into a ****hole. Businesses in the area that were thriving, are dying. A crap mayor and his crap ideas needs to get turfed. Everyone has ideas on everything, But catering to druggies will never be a good idea.
I heard the same from a buddy who lives there. I don't think we'll be far behind now that they are planning for a safe injection site here soon.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:

Yah. I have saw a few pics now on facebook from downtown business owners. Pics showed needles/syringes everywhere on their step up to their store. That's just nuts!
Are going insane.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:17 PM

Son works out of an office in downtown Red Deer. Some interesting and scary sights to be seen . Market price of fellatio is apparently 20., as seen from the office window.

Grizz
Old 09-18-2018, 05:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Son works out of an office in downtown Red Deer. Some interesting and scary sights to be seen . Market price of fellatio is apparently 20., as seen from the office window.

Grizz
$20 just to watch????
Old 09-18-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
What street was that again ?
Old 09-18-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
$20 just to watch????
Haha. Nice
Old 09-18-2018, 10:36 PM

29 more days tell pot is legal!!.... it only gonna get worse...the smell of pot and seeing people roll one up... homeless rate is gonna go through the roof!!..how is someone gonna get buy...oh he is gonna have to hustle and get rid of a few joints to get bye....more crime to mention.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaWild View Post
29 more days tell pot is legal!!.... it only gonna get worse...the smell of pot and seeing people roll one up... homeless rate is gonna go through the roof!!..how is someone gonna get buy...oh he is gonna have to hustle and get rid of a few joints to get bye....more crime to mention.
No, haven't you heard? This is going to end all crime!

One of the great things about living in a mostly retired town is there is very very little of that sewer stench, just when the occasional dredge rents a chit shack for a couple months before getting kicked out. One of the bad things about living here is the cheap slum holes for rent cheap. They just attract the cream of the crop crowd don't ya know.

Old 09-19-2018, 03:16 AM

Interesting thread. Two points to make...

I’m in Ft Mac at the moment and this place has become a ghost town. The lack of addicts is genuinely alarming in the sense that they are the canaries in the coal mine of prosperity. (Haven’t encountered a crackhead all week. Almost miss em! Lol). They probably flocked south on the bus and are Dead Rear’s problem now. Issue the cops a bundle of one way Greyhound tix plus $50 bucks cash to East Hastings and the problem will soon be solved.

Second point. Anyone else notice the correlation between opiate crisis and the intention of legalizing marijuana? Only a stunned liberal would believe that government edging in on the drug industry would alleviate society’s woes.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Tree
Old 09-19-2018, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull's-Eye View Post
I heard the same from a buddy who lives there. I don't think we'll be far behind now that they are planning for a safe injection site here soon.
Having read this, I feel sorry for the residents there. Spouse and I lived in MH for a year in 2013 and it was by FAR the cleanest city we had ever spent real time in. This will most likely take somewhat of a nosedive.

Lethbridge when I was there in 2003 was great, had a few problems downtown but nothing compared to coming from Prince Albert. Now the downtown area iis becoming needle heaven? Depressing.

Red Deer always appeared to have issues with users, now seems worse..city doesnt need any more of this.

I would guess college courses in Chemical Dependency are becoming like Power Engineering used to be..jobs for everyone! Choose a location.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:48 AM
Banned

The only problem I have with these people is that they leave their dirty needles everywhere and the problems that their addictions create not be able to afford what ever it is they do. I don’t know how much good a safe injection sight will do but with winter coming here in Alberta the homeless people will be forced into the system some how unless they build igloos. Hopefully they get the help they need this winter. I also hope the stigma some people have with cannabis changes. Some people say nothing will change, I feel everything is about to change and it’s about time! Millions of new dollars will be implemented to help address addiction and with time, police will have more funding and one less problem trying to combat hard drugs. The system will still be clogged with problems but at least some of the focus will be concentrated in a new direction. I’m interested to see how it all plays out.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:59 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Question Cesspool

: a filthy, evil, or corrupt place or state

Welcome to downtown anywhere.....

Legalize it, support it, what do you expect

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-19-2018, 07:52 AM

My one son lives in Oriole Park, local church has a drop in center, same problems as the downtown area, gonna happen wherever there is a reason for unsavory people to congregate. It's a symptom of the failure of our society.

Grizz
Old 09-19-2018, 10:40 PM

I picked up a used needle in the parking lot of Lloydminster Walmart today. Blood in the syringe needle attached. I picked it up with a plastic bag and inserted it in a piece of styrofoam I had in the trunk of my car. When I walked to the doors of the store I imagined someone digging for bottles, getting stabbed. What the hell do you do with a bloody needle??? Can't stick it in a garbage can.
I took it into customer service and asked if they had a safe disposal, maybe at the pharmacy?
They were as disgusted as me.
I was just sick thinking my 1 yr old or 5 yr old grandson may have stepped on it or picked it up. They were 3' away when I found it.
These lowlife pieces of trash just do not care about anything or anyone else.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:51 PM

And that’s where safe injection sites come into play. Druggies doing there needles safely there instead of parking lots and school ground bushes. Think about it. Even if only a few are using them, that’s a few less that the grandchildren have to worry about. Sites aren’t made for a druggies enjoyment. They are in place to reduce the amount of needles etc being tossed and left behind. They are in place for your benefit.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:56 PM

I agree Moose. Antarctica has a nice ring to it. Let's set them up there.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:56 PM

Basically they are there to keep they addict safe and......your kids.