Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-12-2018, 06:27 PM

Another vote for dura Trac. Worn out a few sets very seldom let me down. They chew good. Wear reasonably well and when it's 4 for the price of 3 you get quality rubber for a fair price. Used to be a toyo m55 guy terrible on ice. Duratrac isn't an ice tire but better than alot of similar type tires.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
It's too bad you were not in Calgary... I could have saved you some money.
Yup. I would have gone to you first !

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:18 AM

I was in a similar dilemma this spring on my dodge.
Decided on the Cooper SST MAXX
So far it has been a fantastic tire, we run a mix of BFG and Duratrac on our work trucks, both have been good, one truck has Toyo CT and will never buy them again, they are so terrible in the winter that my stock dodge dually slicks were better.
The SST has wore really well and I pull alot, lots of traction, and not much road noise.
My truck is a 2016 Dodge 3500 4x4 dually.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:47 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksnbears View Post
I get a kick out of those that buy tires cuz ( the store) recommended them.... Duh, they try to sell tires they can buy the cheapest and Mark em up as much as they can.
These types of comments make me a bit sad honestly. Not that all store owners are ethical, but such a cynical response lumps us all together and not all of us work that way.

Some of us store owners recognize that it is much smarter business to actually listen to a customer and make recommendations on what is best for their specific situation rather than what is the highest profit items. I learned a long time ago that honesty and integrity lead to life long customers who come back year after year because they know you have their best interests in mind, and a regular customer is worth more to a business long term than the extra profit on a single deal by being shady. Besides that, I also value sleeping with a clear conscience so there's that...
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 09-13-2018, 10:02 AM

Has only seen or tried the Cooper DISCOVERER AT3 4S? I think they are new out and rated All Weather.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatter View Post
If the OP travels to BC in winter then tires are supposed to be winter rates...ie
have the snow flake.
KO2s and Duratracs are both winter rated.....there are others of course

You only need M&S rated tires in BC in the winter not the mountain snow flake
Old 09-13-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
These types of comments make me a bit sad honestly. Not that all store owners are ethical, but such a cynical response lumps us all together and not all of us work that way.

Some of us store owners recognize that it is much smarter business to actually listen to a customer and make recommendations on what is best for their specific situation rather than what is the highest profit items. I learned a long time ago that honesty and integrity lead to life long customers who come back year after year because they know you have their best interests in mind, and a regular customer is worth more to a business long term than the extra profit on a single deal by being shady. Besides that, I also value sleeping with a clear conscience so there's that...
Agreed - have had some great experiences with tire shops re: recommendations - if you get the right shop, that is. Always good to do your own homework to confirm as well.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:08 AM
Banned

Duratrac get my vote, I love mine.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:46 PM

Anyone know any tire shops that have either the ko2s or the duratracs on sale? specifically looking for 275/60r20. I know someone mentioned the 4 for 3 event,not sure if it applies to this size. Canadian tire has the ko2s for $1160ish, unless I find a better deal, going to jump on that deal tomorrow!
Old 09-19-2018, 09:48 PM

Thanks for the thread. Went with a set of five Duratrac 33/12.5/15 studded mounted and balanced for $1622 out the door at Bestway tire in Edmonton. First time dealing with them and very happy with the service.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masalma View Post
Thanks for the thread. Went with a set of five Duratrac 33/12.5/15 studded mounted and balanced for $1622 out the door at Bestway tire in Edmonton. First time dealing with them and very happy with the service.
Yup ill second that.
They have been good to me over the years. The owner Bob (think he still owns it, been awhile) is great to deal with. No funny business as they used to say. Had a decent alignment guy to if hes still there to.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:18 AM

Lots of deals out there right now. Fountain tire, Goodyear 4 for 3 . CT 25% off certain tires. Saw a tv ad that said some dodge dealers have a 4 for 3.

I'm certain there could be more places that are running a sale right now so if you need some tires you better take advantage of the deals. Check around.

Got my Duratracs on now, haven't been on the highway yet so dont know how noisy they are but they sure look good. One size bigger than what was on the truck before, about 1" wider and about 1" taller. $1126 all in. 265 70 R17

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:48 AM

Canadian tire has the duractracs on for a great deal. Now I’m stuck deciding whether I want the ko2s or the duratracs. I’ll primarly be using the truck to commute back and forth to work here in Calgary, then for hunting trips on the weekends. So I’m leaning towards the duratrac for better snow/Ice preformance(correct me if I’m wrong). What’s everyone’s opinions for these types of conditions.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:38 AM

with regards to post wondering about Cooper Discover AT3 my experience not good - while doing a bit of back country traveling got a flat - fair enough until see the side wall gave out and looking at the three other tires sidewalls about an inch from rim all cracking; less than 20 thousand km; now we do a lot of hauling with 5th wheel and stock trailer so maybe these tires not good for that, Tirebob's thought about KO2 good for hauling has me looking at these today
Old 09-21-2018, 08:53 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Valleys View Post
with regards to post wondering about Cooper Discover AT3 my experience not good - while doing a bit of back country traveling got a flat - fair enough until see the side wall gave out and looking at the three other tires sidewalls about an inch from rim all cracking; less than 20 thousand km; now we do a lot of hauling with 5th wheel and stock trailer so maybe these tires not good for that, Tirebob's thought about KO2 good for hauling has me looking at these today
Just to clarify... Compared to the most aggressive all terrains like the Duratrac and KO2, I believe the KO2 to be better for hauling, but most definitely there are other less aggressive tires more oriented to maximizing mileage etc that are better for hauling, but at a traction reduction in all terrain situations.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 09-21-2018, 09:55 AM

Good thread as I'm in the market for new boots too. My new to me truck needs some before winter. I hunt, haul sleds on a deck and pull a RV down gravel roads so an LT 10 ply is a must.

My friend has the BFG All Terrains for his winter wheels. Loves them but he don't do mud, mostly a pavement kinda guy.

I am leaning towards the Duratracs as sooner or later I will be on a soft gravel road either pulling the RV or hunting & pulling a trailer with atv's and want a bit more of an aggressive tire for the soft stuff.

I hate these decisions as you spend big bucks and then are stuck with them if you find out you don't like them. My truck gets used for camping, hunting, fishin and sledding so sits most days until needed.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:14 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Good thread as I'm in the market for new boots too. My new to me truck needs some before winter. I hunt, haul sleds on a deck and pull a RV down gravel roads so an LT 10 ply is a must.

My friend has the BFG All Terrains for his winter wheels. Loves them but he don't do mud, mostly a pavement kinda guy.

I am leaning towards the Duratracs as sooner or later I will be on a soft gravel road either pulling the RV or hunting & pulling a trailer with atv's and want a bit more of an aggressive tire for the soft stuff.

I hate these decisions as you spend big bucks and then are stuck with them if you find out you don't like them. My truck gets used for camping, hunting, fishin and sledding so sits most days until needed.
Honestly it sounds like you are absolutely the kind of person who will benefit from a tire like the Duratrac. You use it in the situations where that tires excels and you are not necessarily loading heavy and hauling hard every day over long miles so treadwear is maybe not quite as much of a concern...
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca