Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-21-2012, 07:18 PM

Default Sheep River Bull trouts

Anyone have experience with fly fishing for bull trout in the sheep river? I've been out to the river a few times now but no luck. I've heard of the river holding some monsters bulls. Usually catch on streams from what I hear. Anyone with suggestion on how and where on that river? Or even going out for the day?
Old 06-21-2012, 07:22 PM

Go behind the libary and start throwning bigflies. The river is just full of rainbows in the city section but theres some large bulls in the pools!
Old 06-21-2012, 07:27 PM

thanks. Streamers and stone fly nymphs you think would work??
Old 06-22-2012, 04:41 PM

Default yo

LARGE streamers.......i catch them quite a bit there.....really all i catch down from okatokes.....i dont like bulls but i have caught decent ones...and seen monsers...Silver large streamers.....

i hate them cause they ate all my other trout.....
Old 06-24-2012, 03:36 AM

Thanks man I'll try that for sure.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:11 PM

Really.... Bull trout ate all the other fish. If bulls were the relentless eating machines that everyone thinks they are, there would be no fish in any of the mountain and foothills streams. They would have wiped out all of the other species hundreds of years ago and then starved.

Saying that large predatory fish are wiping out populations of the "desireable" sport fish is just ridiculous.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:49 PM

Default lol

At one time, bull trout were common to all the major river systems flowing from the eastern slopes of the Rocky Mountains as far as Alberta's prairie and parkland.When anglers began stocking streams with new species in the early 1900s, many saw bull trout as unwanted predators that fed on the more favored species. They removed large bull trout to improve the survival of other fish.During the last 25 years, bull trout numbers have declined even more, primarily as a result of overfishing.This species is not in immediate danger of extinction in Alberta but could easily disappear from some lakes and streams.

I wish they were extinct.....they eat fish that i like more...thats all and obviously yes more bull trout = less other fish species...
Old 06-24-2012, 10:03 PM
Banned

He was joking...
Old 06-24-2012, 10:06 PM

I hope your not serious the bulls remove the injured and smaller fish so that the larger cutts etc have more to eat do to less competition.
There our Provincial fish...
Old 06-24-2012, 10:16 PM

Default huhhh

no really i wish they were gone....i like browns bows brook and cutts way more...as far as trout goes....more big bulls= less of those...
Old 06-24-2012, 10:20 PM

but you do got to love a big brown or a big bull. some of those brown in the area get up too 30+ inch. size like that reveals bulls trouts.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:22 PM

Default yep

true.....i just think bulls are on the bottom of my list......
Old 06-24-2012, 11:03 PM
Banned

I find the best way to get a bull to strike is to catch a smallish whitefish, then a bull that has ignored your streamers for the last hour and a half will catch it as you try to land it and then chew on it for awhile and finaly let you have it, minus most of the scales.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:28 PM

later in the year i fish up by the provincial park only been there a few times not to sure of the exact location but i know its by the park, caught some real lunkers in there, caught one over ten pounds broke my fly rod so use a heavy rod, i find the fish will bite on a 3-4 inch streamer, make sure it weighted good or your wasting your time, also i have seen guys use a big weight followed by a royal coachman. i usually walk along the shore and sight fish, from the top of the fish they kind of look like suckers. once you see them throw the flie way upstream and play it to get there attention, we usually catch everyone that we see, and some smaller ones in the faster water. watch for bears up there.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:53 PM

thanks. do you know what highways it off of?

Tags
bull, bull trout, sheep, sheep river