Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2018, 04:10 PM

Default Buying classic car in US and shipping to Canada

Hi Guys

Just wondering if anyone has ever bought an old car from US and shipped it back to Canada? I read that if its older than 15yrs then its exempt from some of the fees and regulations, but I don't know if this makes it easier or not.

I'm looking at a 70's Pontiac so its definitely more than 15 yrs, but I'm not sure if there are any hidden fees, duties, brokerage or inspections that are necessary.

Any ideas
Old 08-21-2018, 04:23 PM

I think you need an out of Country inspection before you can drive it. No idea how much that costs, but not every shop can do them.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:25 PM

Yes yes and yes. Free trade is over as we know it for now. Changes daily. Just got charged import duties on a would gun stock. And got charge duties on lawn mower blades now. Changes daily and yes out of country and out of province inspections
Old 08-21-2018, 06:11 PM

I’ve brought back a car and a boat between 2006 and 2015.

The car was a BMW which I drove back. Like every other vehicle coming across the border I needed to have the title in hand, insurance, recall clearance letter and all of the import paperwork faxed to the Border 3 days before crossing. The added bonus with BMW is that I needed an admissibility letter that can only come from BMW Canada and they charge $500 for it. So I paid for that letter, the $110 import fee, and had to pay duty (German made car) to cross. Federal and out of province inspection was done over the next couple weeks and it was all done.

The boat needed all the same stuff except I needed titles for the trailer, motor and hull. I paid the import fee as well as GST. Same inspections applied for the trailer.

I shipped the boat from Texas to Great Falls and used UShip.com. I put the boat and trailer up on a shipping auction, watched all of the bidders and picked a reputable guy to hot-shot it for me. It cost me about $1500 USD for that shipping but it was the lesser of two evils compared to driving there and back.

I could be wrong but I believe that the classic vehicle would be subject to all of the same issues. There are fees involved but there are still good deals to be found even with a less than ideal exchange rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-21-2018, 08:11 PM
Banned

you can do it yourself, but if you're not familiar with it, why not do it the easy way and hire a customs broker? for a couple hundred dollars, they have pros to do all the paperwork for you and you don't have to be guessing.

they have recently changed some of the rules again, so even those who have previous experience probably aren't right up to speed.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderek View Post
I think you need an out of Country inspection before you can drive it. No idea how much that costs, but not every shop can do them.
Wrong...you do not need an out of country inspection, those are for vehicles 15 years and newer that need to comply with RIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzukisam View Post
Yes yes and yes. Free trade is over as we know it for now. Changes daily. Just got charged import duties on a would gun stock. And got charge duties on lawn mower blades now. Changes daily and yes out of country and out of province inspections
Wrong....see above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
you can do it yourself, but if you're not familiar with it, why not do it the easy way and hire a customs broker? for a couple hundred dollars, they have pros to do all the paperwork for you and you don't have to be guessing.

they have recently changed some of the rules again, so even those who have previous experience probably aren't right up to speed.
Wrong....you can NOT import the vehicle your self. You must hire a broker to do it for you ($250 give or take)

Importing a classic vehicle is easy. Hire a broker, give them the US title and bill of sale. They will do everything for you. Easily worth the cost. No need to worry about crossing Ts and dotting Is...they do it all.

You will NOT pay duty on the car. You will pay only GST and a small tax if the car has AC. That is it...not other costs with regards to importing.

You will have to to an out of province inspection. Go to the registry, get a OOP request form, take it to a mechanic that does OOP inspections. Once the car passes, take the form the mechanic gives you back to the registry. ta-da...you now have an Alberta registered vehicle.

Shipping options are:

door to door (USA to your house)
door to border (have to go down to Sweetgrass and pick it up)
Go down and haul it back yourself
Go down and drive it back.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
Wrong....you can NOT import the vehicle your self. You must hire a broker to do it for you ($250 give or take)
You are 1000% wrong on this. Importing is easy. The process is well documented online, and has been done thousands of times.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
You are 1000% wrong on this. Importing is easy. The process is well documented online, and has been done thousands of times.
I've done it to, multiple times, its not difficult but a PITA. 72 hrs notice when you're crossing. Faxing, filling out documents etc.

I was told that we now must have broker do it. We can not broker our own cars. Maybe I was misinformed.

When was the last time you imported one?
Old 08-22-2018, 03:36 PM

Thanks guys....much appreciated!
Old 08-22-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I've done it to, multiple times, its not difficult but a PITA. 72 hrs notice when you're crossing. Faxing, filling out documents etc.

I was told that we now must have broker do it. We can not broker our own cars. Maybe I was misinformed.

Meh, I'd much rather deal with the paper work myself, than rely on someone else. Especially when the consequences are impounding.

News to me, and I doubt that is correct, what classifies someone as a broker?

Old 08-22-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Meh, I'd much rather deal with the paper work myself, than rely on someone else. Especially when the consequences are impounding.

News to me, and I doubt that is correct, what classifies someone as a broker?

A broker from a brokerage company. Its not like you're paying some random dude to fill out the paperwork.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:37 PM

The process is easy to do yourself. And RIV has made improvements over the years to make it even easier.

Once you open up a “case” on their website, you can literally take scans or pictures of the docs you need and upload them so that the CBSA guys can pull it up at the border. You used to have to physically carry all of the paperwork around with you and it was annoying.

I’ve never had an issue or hit a snag. Just read the website closely and you’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2018, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:

why would you tell me i'm wrong to say you could do it yourself, then in your next post say that you've done it yourself? help me understand because your comments don't make sense to me.

I was told recently that you have to get a special number from a broker before bringing in a vehicle, so may as well just get them to do it. maybe it was not accurate advice?
Old 08-23-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
A broker from a brokerage company. Its not like you're paying some random dude to fill out the paperwork.
Yeah, was expecting that response.
What makes a broker any more capable of following a checklist and filling out a form than you? Nothing. It's not like they went to a special broker school. Actually you are paying some random dude for a service that (literally) anyone can do. A broker is just a likely to screw it up as you.

To each their own.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:21 AM

Go to the CBSA and RIV websites for information and process on how to import a motor vehicle. Then go to the USCBP website to get information on the export process. After doing all that, decide if you want to use a broker. Don't know if they're still around, but Livingston International was the broker that dealt with the vehicle importations.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Yeah, was expecting that response.
What makes a broker any more capable of following a checklist and filling out a form than you? Nothing. It's not like they went to a special broker school. Actually you are paying some random dude for a service that (literally) anyone can do. A broker is just a likely to screw it up as you.

To each their own.
You are spouting bs .
Old 08-23-2018, 12:42 PM

I just went through this in May when I brought back a thirty year old truck from Idaho.

You are exempt from out of country because of age but you have to get an out of province inspection.

You can import it yourself but you have to get an ITN from a broker, I paid $50 for one from A.D. Rutherford, you will find out what you need to do on their website.

It's not too difficult but it does seem like a little more work than it was years ago.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
why would you tell me i'm wrong to say you could do it yourself, then in your next post say that you've done it yourself? help me understand because your comments don't make sense to me.

I was told recently that you have to get a special number from a broker before bringing in a vehicle, so may as well just get them to do it. maybe it was not accurate advice?
You used to be able to do it yourself.

Now, the last time I did it, I was told that I had to use a broker. I could not import the vehicle my self. A broker was needed.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:36 PM

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehicle...mport-1278.htm

Quote:
Is it necessary to hire a customs broker to import a motor vehicle into Canada?

No. Hiring a customs broker is an importer's choice. These independent businesses provide services to importers ranging from basic paperwork at the Canadian border to complete delivery logistics and customs clearance. Transport Canada does not endorse any specific brokers nor maintain a list of customs brokers.
Yep.. BS

But what do I know.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:51 PM

And more FACTS..

https://www.riv.ca/USCustoms.aspx

Quote:
Contact a U.S. AES authorized agent, freight forwarder or customs broker to electronically file your export information, if the U.S. person or company you purchased the vehicle from did not file on your behalf.
You will be provided with an ITN number that must accompany documents submitted to CBP.
So YES, the procedure has changed, but you can still do it yourself.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:50 PM

The BS i was referring to was your comment about a Canadian Customs Brokers qualifications. A Customs Brokers has a Licence to transact business. This involves a two year course. A Customs Broker must know the Canadian Import laws just a bit better than a Customs Officer, as he acts on behalf of his clients... similar to a lawyer. A Customs Officer works on behalf of the Govt, of Canada... do you think he is looking out for your best interests? Yes you are correct you can do the work yourself , particularly if the import is straight forward, however if it gets complicated, hire a professional.

How do i know??? I spent 38 years of my life as a Professional Licenced Customs Broker.