Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-20-2018, 01:24 PM

Default Antler used in crafts

How do you prove that antler pieces that are used in different kinds of crafts are from sheds? I do a few things with antler that I've only gifted to people but may want to sell some pieces. Don't want to get on the wrong side of legal. I've used small stuff from things I've killed and thot I'd get some opinions here. Not usually in short supply.😁

Thanks
Old 08-20-2018, 03:14 PM

I also make a few things with antler. Last year I put a golf putter make from moose antler online to sell. F&W contacted me within a day with their concerns. They came by and I was able to provide the "button" from the end of the antler to prove the putter was made from a dropped antler.
The discussion lead to the conclusion that If any item has the button removed the button should be kept with that item. Then if F&W has concerns they can run forensics to prove the item came from a dropped antler and not a "live" antler. (The button is on the end of the antler that connects the antler to the head.)

Best to make items that the button stays attached.. then there can be no problems.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-20-2018, 03:47 PM

Wow...that seems a little crazy. I might cut something into 20 or more pieces. Some guys are using dog chews from a pet store to make antler stuff. Thňse are just pieces that have no button attached. Hardly seems worth the hassle to use antler. I wouldn't want to have something with a nice finish on it to be "sampled" for DNA. Most times the button would be tossed if it's not incorporated in a different craft.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:33 PM

I would talk to F&W and try to get a license of some sort. Seems unreasonable to ask people to provide a button for every piece, and I would bring up the dog chews when I talked to them.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-20-2018, 08:08 PM

I’ve never really thought about this until now, but what happens when you have found dead wildlife. You can contact F&W and get a licence to take it home. Can you not do anything with those antlers then as they aren’t sheds and any test they may do would show they’re not sheds?
Old 08-21-2018, 04:29 PM

Humm. I have used antler off legally hunted deer and elk to use for different " crafts". I've forged a couple of blades and used the antler as handles.....are you guys saying I can get in trouble for them? Haven't sold any just given one to my brother and kept the other for myself.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Humm. I have used antler off legally hunted deer and elk to use for different " crafts". I've forged a couple of blades and used the antler as handles.....are you guys saying I can get in trouble for them? Haven't sold any just given one to my brother and kept the other for myself.
I'm in the same boat. I'm a woodturner and have made pens from antler, from game I've legally killed, with the eventual intent to sell some. Should be no problem to gift a knife or pen....its the selling that gets the wrong attention.

It's based on the selling of wildlife parts I guess. Just seems like there should be some difference between some handle scales or a 2 inch peice of antler in a pen....and selĺng a set of antlers.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:26 PM

Oddly enough, other provinces have different laws. It would be nice if all the provinces had the same laws.

In Saskatchewan...
People who use antlers for artwork may also sell them without a permit, provided they were obtained legally, have been separated from the skull and have been processed into a form of artwork. Stated by Dave Harvey, Director of Enforcement, Saskatchewan Environment.

In New Brunswick you can't even sell dropped antler.

One question to put forth to Alta. F&W would be: If an Albertan registers their legally killed skull attached antlers they are allowed to sell those antlers after 36 months. So if a set of legally killed skull attached antlers is registered and the 3 years has lapsed would a person then be able to sell those antlers in pieces?
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-22-2018, 06:40 AM

yeah I'm under the impression that in alberta you still need a permit to sell wildlife ( not shed antlers ). I found a dead head Bighorn a few years a ago and I was told if I wanted to sell it I would have to apply for a permit and there was a 3 year wait period from when I did the application to when I would receive the permit.

I see every now and again that some gas stations sell hot dog sticks with antler handles. I wonder if they need to be able to provide the buttons as well.