Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-15-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeforthree View Post
Sitting in a packed room tonite, really great to see, it’s my 43rd time.
Congrats on 43. Started doing it again this past year, with Canada Blood services. 4x so far this year. Likely do 5-6x donations this year. Like my O+ blood.
Pb43
Old 08-15-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
Yes and proud of it.....

My dad donated in WW II and told me that if you are healthy to donate; it helps people and it is good for you.

It all started in my high school gym. I was 17 years old at the time and my dad had to sign a waiver for me.

I think it was more to get out of class and eat some cookies....hahaha

In all my schooling and all of my career, I have never missed a minute because of sick.

My next milestone is 1,000 donations.

Thanks to everyone out there that take the time to donate; whether it be whole blood, plasma or platelets....
Insert take a bow emogi here... 1000 donations is amazing!
Old 08-15-2018, 12:32 PM

Default Yes I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeforthree View Post
Sitting in a packed room tonite, really great to see, it’s my 43rd time.
I also do about 20 times know.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:45 PM

Yes, I consider it a small inconvenience to pay it forward(so to speak) some day I will likely need blood.

As for wastage there was a time I would go in specifically in to give where the blood would be used that day (pre aids IIRC).
Old 08-15-2018, 12:48 PM

This thread inspired me to donate blood for the first time in 20 years... I just about fainted at the end and they told me I shouldn't donate because of that... oh well
Old 08-15-2018, 09:34 PM

I would like to personally thank everyone here on behalf of my son. He was 2 months old when he was diagnosed with infant ALL acute lymphoblastic leukimia. Only 8 cases of it in Canada a year. We moved from swift current to Toronto to start 8 months of hardcore chemotherapy. Almost lost him once. Throughout the course of his treatment he has received 18 red blood cell transfusions and 20 platelets transfusions. They saved his life. Anyone that donates blood is a hero. Every single one of you is so inspiring. It's not easy when you can't see the people you help. Well my son is one of them and we could not be more greatful to you guys. You have helped save my sons life and many more. I get to continue loving my son and experience all the joys of being a dad thanks to you. He's 1 now and still has a year of chemotherapy left but hopefully we are through the worst of it. I can't show you everyone that you have saved but I can show you one. Thank you on behalf of my family.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1370.jpg (74.9 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4192.jpg (70.2 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by huntingd; 08-15-2018 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:40 PM

And that right there is what its all about ladies & gentlemen. Awesome, just awesome.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:20 AM

number 10 for me so far. one of the volunteers at the last place I visited mentioned that she donated "600" another person (740-760). If my math is correct, you can do up to 6 a year? 60 in 10 years, 300 in 50 years.. and so. Am I missing something? I presume these numbers are for the whole blood donation? perhaps they are referring to liters vs how many times? just curious how it is even possible?
Old 08-16-2018, 07:44 AM

I used to, but have not in quite some time. This thread has also inspired me to get off my ***** and get in there.
My hats off to all those that make a point to go all the time, you save lives!!

BH

Old 08-16-2018, 10:08 AM

made donation 53 a week or so ago. O- CMV-. my donation ends up in the Stollery. on a first name basis with most of the staff and soup kitchen.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:12 PM

received a email today from/about my last donation, here is what they said.

your generous gift of life is well on its way to a patient in need. And that's a wonderful thing. Share your story with others and encourage them to donate too. Thank you for donating blood and saving a life.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
number 10 for me so far. one of the volunteers at the last place I visited mentioned that she donated "600" another person (740-760). If my math is correct, you can do up to 6 a year? 60 in 10 years, 300 in 50 years.. and so. Am I missing something? I presume these numbers are for the whole blood donation? perhaps they are referring to liters vs how many times? just curious how it is even possible?
You can donate plasma as often as once a week. If you want to donate both blood and plasma you have to wait 56 days after either type of donation before making the other. So theoretically a person could hit 600 plasma donations in 11.5 years.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
You can donate plasma as often as once a week. If you want to donate both blood and plasma you have to wait 56 days after either type of donation before making the other. So theoretically a person could hit 600 plasma donations in 11.5 years.
thank you, that make sense.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:11 PM

Thank you all, from me as well! I have never been more humbled in my life than when I had to spend time in the Ronald McDonald house. The walls covered in hundreds of pictures of lost children was heart breaking. Step-son was in ICU at the Stollery for nearly two months, only alive because of machines running his organs and the doctors/nurses. Made it through 100%, what an amazing group there, some of the best doctors/nurses in the world. Big thank you to all of you who donate and save strangers lives
Old 08-17-2018, 01:28 PM

Congrats, at 53 myself
Old 08-17-2018, 08:18 PM

Never have done it but I should have been meaning to do it for years

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2018, 09:28 AM

Default yes, i donate

on the 15th now iirc. been working on call the last 4 years, should be able to get in more now.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:08 AM

Like many others, i used to.
Then i moved out of the city and they only came to GP once a year (which i went to).
Then they stopped coming to GP...
Then i became medically ineligible.

Sure glad to see lots of people doing it! Keep it up folks!
Old 08-18-2018, 10:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
Thank you all, from me as well! I have never been more humbled in my life than when I had to spend time in the Ronald McDonald house. The walls covered in hundreds of pictures of lost children was heart breaking. Step-son was in ICU at the Stollery for nearly two months, only alive because of machines running his organs and the doctors/nurses. Made it through 100%, what an amazing group there, some of the best doctors/nurses in the world. Big thank you to all of you who donate and save strangers lives
My son had a stay at the stollery for a week when he was born. Talk about heart wrenching, some of the kids there and the condition they were in will be forever burnt into my brain. It was impossible for me not to have a little liquid leaking from my eye every time I left that hospital.

Unrelated to your post and easier than starting another reply but I wonder what they are going to do when more people start using cannabis recreationally? As it stands now they have a hard time keeping up supply and demand at the blood bank. Absolutely nothing wrong with my blood other than traces of THC and CBD
Old 08-18-2018, 04:11 PM
Banned

It's not really a secret. All plasma exits the country to get processed and expired/unused is given away or sold.

What Happens to YOUR Donation:

Canadian Blood Services wants to ensure that as
much of every donation as possible is used while
continually improving the cost-effectiveness and
efficiency of the blood system. Giving or selling unused
or end of shelf-life parts of the donation
instead of
discarding them could contribute towards this goal.
Proceeds of any sales would be invested back into the
blood system to balance out costs.

https://blood.ca/sites/default/files...rochure_EN.pdf
Old 08-18-2018, 06:25 PM

Default conspiracy theories

Two posts have been deleted as a result of conspiracy theories. Are there conspiracies in the world? I'm sure that there are. If you have a conspiracy theory about the gov't suppressing the true killing power of the 223, have at er. However, blood saves lives. So find a different forum to promulgate the nefarious theories about blood. Go donate people. A family member just may need it. You never know. If it gets sold to Timbuctu before it's ready to expire... oh well. The body will regenerate a couple jugs for you.

No more conspiracy theories about blood please.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Two posts have been deleted as a result of conspiracy theories. Are there conspiracies in the world? I'm sure that there are. If you have a conspiracy theory about the gov't suppressing the true killing power of the 223, have at er. However, blood saves lives. So find a different forum to promulgate the nefarious theories about blood. Go donate people. A family member just may need it. You never know. If it gets sold to Timbuctu before it's ready to expire... oh well. The body will regenerate a couple jugs for you.

No more conspiracy theories about blood please.
Good stuff! Tinfoil hats are everywhere.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:17 AM

Canadian Blood Services released a statistic;

Less than 5% of Canadians ever give blood and yet 100% of the people that need it, get it.....no cost......

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:28 AM

If this could be a sticky, possibly be in the minds for new, or remind, blood donors
Old 08-21-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
I have donated blood in the past, apparently my blood type is good for anyone. I don’t think they would take my blood these days however. I feel perfectly sober but the person receiving the blood would probably get high as a kite if they don’t use cannabis lol.
I don't smoke the stuff, but I asked about if pot was on the list of bad stuff, they (Canadian Blood Services) said no.
My next appointment for donation is in September, it will be number 29.
You said your blood is good for anyone, I am betting you are blood type O.
Don't stop going because of smoking pot, the donation process is good for the donor as well.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:09 AM

Someone once asked me, what is the most important blood donation, I said, the first and the next one.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:29 PM

I've donated 95 times. Then asked for a diploma which now hangs proudly on my wall along with my other "trophies".
Old 08-21-2018, 05:25 PM
Banned

While we're on a roll here maybe a few might like to sign up to become an organ donor:

https://organtissuedonation.ca/en
Old 08-21-2018, 05:46 PM

93 donation good for you sir,,

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 08-21-2018, 06:30 PM

I'm 20+ but have had to slow down for low iron on my physical. Likely time for me to get back in. Thanks for the reminder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk