Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2018, 11:53 AM

Default What's your workplace policy on missed days of work

I've been asked to create a workplace policy outlining the companies position on employees who miss work. I checked with Alberta employment standards, and have the rules for many different types of leave which I understand.

What I'm trying to get a handle on is the employees requirement to give notice of absence or leave. For Personal and Family responsibility leave, it depicts that the employer can establish their own policies for documentation.

What are the rules or policies at your place of work?

BW
Old 08-21-2018, 02:38 PM

Default Depends on the situation

It totally depends on the situation, is it bereavement leave? Give as much notice as you possibly can (hours, days etc.)

For appointments my employer asks for 2 weeks notice and it must be mutually agreed upon.

Vacation we book at the start of the year, still flexible throughout but with as much notice as possible.

Family emergencies, again as much time as possible...

Are you asking for planned or unplanned absences?
Old 08-21-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
I've been asked to create a workplace policy outlining the companies position on employees who miss work. I checked with Alberta employment standards, and have the rules for many different types of leave which I understand.

What I'm trying to get a handle on is the employees requirement to give notice of absence or leave. For Personal and Family responsibility leave, it depicts that the employer can establish their own policies for documentation.

What are the rules or policies at your place of work?

BW
For us it is not a minimum timeframe - case by case approval. You can take a week off with no notice if all your ducks are in a row, but on the flip side it would not even be on the table for us to take off when reports needed to be submitted or we had made commitments to clients.

Matt
Old 08-21-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4K3OGH View Post
It totally depends on the situation, is it bereavement leave? Give as much notice as you possibly can (hours, days etc.)

For appointments my employer asks for 2 weeks notice and it must be mutually agreed upon.

Vacation we book at the start of the year, still flexible throughout but with as much notice as possible.

Family emergencies, again as much time as possible...

Are you asking for planned or unplanned absences?
What I'm asking for is are you expected to give a reason for missing work. I'm trying to pinpoint what we can ask for. I'm trying to avoid people emailing or texting in and taking a personal day, without any explanation. Or sending a message to a coworker to give to a supervisor that they won't be in.

Bereavement leave, sometimes notice isn't possible, but I would not expect a person to call in and say I'm off for the next 3 days it personal. I'd expect to be made aware of the passing and how the person was related.

I wanting to make sure I'm not over-stepping my bounds, and be as fair as possible.

Example being I have an employee who did not show up on Monday texted a co-worker and said she wouldn't be in. Today she emailed her supervisor and said she was taking a personal day. Our office is already short staffed with vacationing people. It really puts a burden on the Supervisor.

I'm trying to tighten up the process so that we can use progressive discipline in this sort of situation. But before doing so I want to make everyone aware that we have a written policy and what it entails. Then everyone knows what is expected and can comply.

BW
Old 08-21-2018, 03:42 PM

Case by case here. We request 2 weeks notice, longer if a long absence is known. But nothing is set in stone, things come up, and are hard to plan, which is understandable to a degree. A lot of the time its only a day or two notice, which is usually fine. When it becomes a habit, it becomes more of an issue and frowned upon. Same with calling in just before a shift, not a big deal usually. If that happens a few times a month, that becomes a problem. Doctor notes will be required etc...
Old 08-21-2018, 03:44 PM

Went 13 years one stretch without missing day of work, with committed employees in good health do not need a policy for time off.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:46 PM

Where I’ve worked I’m the past one day was just a call usually. No one questioned it as it was possible that the person was ill or what have you and if they were back the next day all good. If it goes upwards of 3 days then a Drs note was requested.
Although not directly I’ve heard of some companies giving 5-7 flex days where people can take them off at their leisure but usually a little notice was expected. And other places that give a set number of sick days so if you exceed it then you have to get a Drs note as well.
It’s a tough slog for sure. You can’t have folks just taking days off all the time but how do you say to them that they aren’t sick. My sister worked in HR before she just had enough of it. It was easy to pinpoint those that took advantage of it and they usually ended up laid off when the opportunity arose.
Good luck you have a tough job.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
What I'm asking for is are you expected to give a reason for missing work. I'm trying to pinpoint what we can ask for. I'm trying to avoid people emailing or texting in and taking a personal day, without any explanation. Or sending a message to a coworker to give to a supervisor that they won't be in.

Bereavement leave, sometimes notice isn't possible, but I would not expect a person to call in and say I'm off for the next 3 days it personal. I'd expect to be made aware of the passing and how the person was related.

I wanting to make sure I'm not over-stepping my bounds, and be as fair as possible.

Example being I have an employee who did not show up on Monday texted a co-worker and said she wouldn't be in. Today she emailed her supervisor and said she was taking a personal day. Our office is already short staffed with vacationing people. It really puts a burden on the Supervisor.

I'm trying to tighten up the process so that we can use progressive discipline in this sort of situation. But before doing so I want to make everyone aware that we have a written policy and what it entails. Then everyone knows what is expected and can comply.

BW
Texting or emailing is not okay, especially to just a coworker. We expect a voice mail left on the company directory, and if possible direct contact with the persons supervisor. You can tell a lot from someones voice and speech... Don't expect details to be left in message, but they will be asked to explain
Old 08-21-2018, 04:00 PM

Haha this reminds me of when a former habitual offender employee called in sick with 'food poisoning'. It was a Sunday night (technically Monday morning). Left a voice message at 3:30am (time stamped messages) saying bad Chinese food, won't be in,... couldn't even make out half of the incoherrant rambling.... Anyways, Monday was a stat holiday. That got shared in the office a few times. Haha.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:12 PM

Bereavement leave we have to say which relative died. Doesn’t make sense if your grandpa died 4 times and you keep using it for a couple days off.

Personal/Family days, as much notice as possible, but no explanation required. Office staff gets 5 days/year, field staff gets 7.

Vacation must be in 6 weeks before you want to take it. You can take vacation on short notice on a case by case basis if you are not needed.

LOA must be approved by the supervisor and the manager in writing.

Personal/Family and Bereavement can be taken through text, vacation and LOA must be put it through a form we have drafted up.

Failure to provide reason results in a written warning that stays on file for 1 year, second offence in that year period is termination.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
Texting or emailing is not okay, especially to just a coworker. We expect a voice mail left on the company directory, and if possible direct contact with the persons supervisor. You can tell a lot from someones voice and speech... Don't expect details to be left in message, but they will be asked to explain
Serious sick or not, if someone does not want to be at work do you really want them there? Yes as a supervisor or foreman whatever you want to call me, it is a pain in the ass having to change plans, but its better than a worker not having his head in the game.

If you have a habitualy sick worker, perhaps they make it to the top of the layoff list.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:44 PM
Banned

Ahh, the benefits of being with a company 25 years and being able to count my total 'sick' days on my 10 fingers.
Now I pretty much come and go as I please. As long as my workload for the day is done...if I want to leave early or take a couple days off...I do. If I feel like I want to sleep in I text the owner and roll over for another hour or two of sleep.
There are some benefits to being older than dirt
Old 08-21-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick0danger View Post
Serious sick or not, if someone does not want to be at work do you really want them there? Yes as a supervisor or foreman whatever you want to call me, it is a pain in the ass having to change plans, but its better than a worker not having his head in the game.

If you have a habitualy sick worker, perhaps they make it to the top of the layoff list.
Thing is with big companies (like mine) there are a lot of t's to cross and i's to be dotted before some can be let go. A billion dollar per year company has a big bullseye on it when you let go a disgruntled employee...
Old 08-21-2018, 06:00 PM

I'm self-employed at a one-man company so I'm kind of screwed for those kinds of benefits, if I'm not out earning there's nobody else taking up the slack on my behalf. I have to be really sick to take a sick day.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:23 PM
Banned

I was told that an employer is not allowed to even ask what you need time off for. I’m not sure of company policy on missing work because a never miss or else I’m sure I’d know lol. That’s all I got
Old 08-21-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I'm self-employed at a one-man company so I'm kind of screwed for those kinds of benefits, if I'm not out earning there's nobody else taking up the slack on my behalf. I have to be really sick to take a sick day.
Do you ever find yourself watching a show set in a prison and thinking
“I’d love to go to jail for a few weeks”?
Or dreaming of an emergency surgery with a few days of recovery time?
Me neither...
Old 08-21-2018, 07:57 PM

I like the chief factor John Rowand's Fort Edmonton policy back in the day.... "So you're sick? If you aren't dead in three days get back to work!"
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-21-2018, 08:12 PM

Honestly if a person has visited a professional, and has informed someone such as a boss of any type, the time off the individual has is dependant on said professional.As far as I know it includes personal time.
Now if it is a injury that happened at work the employer must be made aware very soon.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:25 PM

Default What's your workplace policy on missed days of work

In addition to our “vacation” time, our new manager implemented “PTO” days (paid time off) in order to try to curb the habitual sick folks The amount of PTO is based on years of service (I’m an 11 yr guy and ended up with 10 PTO days), and can be used for anything you want on an hourly basis - dr/ dentist appointments, mental health days,golfing days - even actual sick days!! You have to use them in the calendar year or they are gone, if you use them all up and need to take more time off (because you might actually be sick), you get no pay. Of course, there are employees who have used it all up already
For me, I’ve used some of the time for dentist appointments, extra days on the backside of a long weekend type of thing - Works ok for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by canuck; 08-21-2018 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:43 AM

I know this doesn't help your question , but have to throw this in for a laugh.

We had a guy call into work to say he won't be in because he was in a sailboat at the lake and there wasn't any wind.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:58 AM

We have vacation days, the number depends how many years you have been with the company. We also have sick days that accumulate each month that you can store, (1.6 days). Every fiscal quarter, we are rewarded a Personal Day to take for whatever reason we like. If we don't use it, we lose it at the end of the quarter. We also have a Mental Awareness Day once a year where everyone gets to take a day off in March, they can pick which day. Again, if you don't use it, you lose it.

In regards to notice, it's pretty relaxed as long as you have your work done. If you are sick for more than 3 days, then a note is required.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:07 PM

Without phoning in
1st verbal warning
2nd written warning
3rd suspension or dismissal

Phoning in
Twice with reasonable explanation
after that doctor's note or other documentation required

Best phone in's
Fred and I won't be in we got a flat
can't you fix it and come in late?
no we already opened it

Buddy was passed out cold so his friend phoned in for him later buddy got up and phoned in again the boss said " he was so drunk he phoned in twice"

One Monday morning I checked the phone messages, a message was received at 7 pm Sunday ? Apparently he passed out Sunday afternoon woke up at & 7pm and thought he was late.

Being a maintenance Superintendent was never boring
Old 08-22-2018, 12:55 PM

If you are in Alberta, consider calling the Calgary Workers Resource centre for advice on this matter or to refer you to the appropriate legislation.

My feeling is that it is reasonable to ask why a person is taking no notice leave and to expect them to attempt to contact a supervisor directly... but I would check with an authority on the topic as sometimes the rules can be weird.

Last edited by mattthegorby; 08-22-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
For us it's a text message to a direct supervisor. They just want to know you're not coming in and doesn't want to listen to voicemail. If it becomes habitual then other approaches are taken with the individual but that's case by case. Some people seem to get away with more but that's because of a friendship with the boss.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:

BW
I would absolutely include no texting or emails period unless it's a 3am emergency and they don't want to wake you but that should be followed up with an actual phone call during proper hours. My employer started enforcing this due to the amount of text messages she started receiving when someone wasn't showing up for work.

Sometimes, a personal day is just that, very personal. Quite often people have some really heavy stuff going on in their lives that they don't feel comfortable sharing at the work place. I think if it's a regular occurrence then perhaps could begin to delve deeper.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:06 PM

If you can say you are working on behalf of your companies HR department contact other HR departments and ask nicely if they would share their info. There are some standardized concepts out there.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-22-2018, 09:30 PM

Wow you guys are very lenient. If i have a worker that doesn't show up they are done. It means they quit. If you dont call your direct supervisor you quit. End of story.
Your sick thats fine call me and take the day( no pay)
We have our employees fill out a request for time off for vacation management signs it. Or if there is a conflict with that time off we make them pick a different day.
No personal days
If you need a long weekend book it off.
Its case by case
Someone dies call supervisor and take your time off.
If your sick all the time well 3 strikes and your terminated. Again case by case but i cant have a empoyee that takes 14 sick days a year then wants two weeks vacation as well.
Employers need workers to show up. Its hard enough to schedule around vacations. Way harder if someone is always taking extra time.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
Wow you guys are very lenient. If i have a worker that doesn't show up they are done. It means they quit. If you dont call your direct supervisor you quit. End of story.
We have our employees fill out a request for time off for vacation management signs it. Or if there is a conflict with that time off we make them pick a different day.
No personal days
Its case by case
If your sick all the time well 3 strikes and your terminated. Again case by case but i cant have a empoyee that takes 14 sick days a year then wants two weeks vacation as well.
Employers need workers to show up. Its hard enough to schedule around vacations. Way harder if someone is always taking extra time.
I don't know what company, or field of work you are in. While that would be great as an employer to be so strict, BUT life happens. If legit, some people need a lot of unexpected time off. Hard to plan the curve balls life can throw. Have seen it many times and made accomodations. Now myself as well, I have been going through a lot of family medical problems. It happens. Not something people can control sometimes. If you know it's BS stories, that's different. But sometimes people need more time off than others, to take care of things at home. Just sayin...
Old 08-23-2018, 08:11 AM

My hunting buddy missed only a minimum of days in 20 years with Epcor Power in Edmonton. They gave him a large check when he retired. One of his co-workers complained, "If I had know that I would not have been sick so often"
Old 08-23-2018, 08:14 AM

Default Better freshen up on your labour laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
No personal days
Its case by case

You may want to review the Alberta and Canadian labour laws... employees are allowed X number of personal days per year, I believe it is 5. As far as an explanation, unfortunately that is none of your business, If I have to call in sick, its a text message stating "Im sick" and thats all you get, end of story.

At my workplace a text message is perfectly acceptable. If it is abused then maybe you have to start calling your supervisor.