Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2018, 03:46 PM

Default Jeep Commander Hemi lift and exhaust?

Hi guys, and gals (and non binary types...)!

Looking for advice on upgrading/fixing some bounce and an exhaust leak.

First of all the Jeep has a manifold leak, and I would like to make it a little better than stock. A couple issues being that the stock system manifolds are prone to cracking and warping, and the stock bolts are prone to breaking.

I've been told by an exhaust place that a bolt upgrade will just make the manifolds more likely to crack. Not sure about that, but those are his thoughts on it.

I would like a little more performance and put in some shorty headers with better locking bolts. After a long lived mid-range heavy boost in performance without breaking the bank. I'm thinking that the individual runners will put less strain on bolts, and be less failure prone. Sounds like somewhat of a heat issue, I'm told.

Not sure of how often the manifolds warp, crack, and bolts break but it seems to be a pretty common problem. Didn't want to replace a problem with the same issue and just have a stock system.

The issue I'm having is finding something that fits. It seems nobody does it?
Seems like it would be pretty similar to the Cherokee, but I've heard there is less clearance for headers on the Commander? Stuff for the smaller V8, but having trouble finding direct fit for the big one.

On to the suspension. The Jeep has quite a bit of bounce to it, so needs new struts. While I'm at it, I'd like to put in some useable clearance and load handling. Don't want to strain the strain the CVs so I would just do a mild suspension lift of a couple inches, with some Old Man Emu springs. I saw these available just on their own. I believe that I saw them before as more of a "system" with some upgraded struts.

Is it advisable to go to different struts, or it OEM decent? Will it matter that the spring will be extending the shock another 2 inches, or is that mild enough to not really make a difference? But if I'm having it done anyway, I'm certainly not opposed to going to a more capable strut. I'm such a suspension N00b...

Will I need anything else, as far as longer lines, etc?

Thanks all!

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 08-22-2018, 08:00 AM

Think you're better off checking out a jeep forum. Not many Commanders out there unfortunately, especially modified ones.

I really wish jeep kept selling those. I always liked them.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:03 AM

Pureblood!
Old 08-22-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Think you're better off checking out a jeep forum. Not many Commanders out there unfortunately, especially modified ones.

I really wish jeep kept selling those. I always liked them.
Have the question out on a few forums. AO surprises me every now and then with the answers we get.

There sure isn't many modded ones. Phoned (how quaint eh?) an exhaust shop yesterday, and was told I was the first that asked about such a thing! Kind of figured it was natural given the exhaust leaks, and it being a Hemi.

It's too bad. This is our first; bought it because of it was quite a bit more capable than a lot of competitors.

Kind of has a bit of a cult following now, I think. The Wife had a lady get out of a very expensive looking jacked up truck to run over to her and ask her about it. Apparently she wants either one like ours or a Land Rover..?

Pureblood!
Old 08-22-2018, 11:12 AM

Can't help on the headers, no experience with that part. After lots of screwing around, checking, 2 installs and removals, this is what we ended up with on my Brother's Commander. Great guys that actually know what they are talking about. They not only design and build it, they run the stuff hard. You can't make a commander into an all out rock crawler but you can improve them a lot.

If you want to save serious bucks drive down and have it bolted on, U.S. shop rates a a whole lot lower than ours, unless you are good enough to do it yourself. They don't install but they will recommend top notch guys that do. We had the kit free shipped to the BC border for pickup. We did our own install and it was very easy.

https://www.rocky-road.com/jeep-commander-lift-kit.html
Old 08-22-2018, 12:35 PM

yeah the manifold bolts are a common problem on the Hemis.
its not the bolts fault as much as its cheap manifolds that have a different expansion rate than the block. so when they heat up and expand it causes stress and twisting on the bolts and over time they break.
I'm in the same boat with my 2014 ram but it should be covered under the power train warranty.

my old ram, i had to replace bolts on both sides of the engine and its not cheap.

i would recommend getting JBA long tube headers
Old 08-22-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Can't help on the headers, no experience with that part. After lots of screwing around, checking, 2 installs and removals, this is what we ended up with on my Brother's Commander. Great guys that actually know what they are talking about. They not only design and build it, they run the stuff hard. You can't make a commander into an all out rock crawler but you can improve them a lot.

If you want to save serious bucks drive down and have it bolted on, U.S. shop rates a a whole lot lower than ours, unless you are good enough to do it yourself. They don't install but they will recommend top notch guys that do. We had the kit free shipped to the BC border for pickup. We did our own install and it was very easy.

https://www.rocky-road.com/jeep-commander-lift-kit.html
Thanks Dean; more or less settled on the complete OME 2" lift with heavy duty springs, struts, shocks, bar, spacers and control arms.

Kind of disappointing to hear they don't deliver all the way up here.

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

Pureblood!
Old 08-22-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
Thanks Dean; more or less settled on the complete OME 2" lift with heavy duty springs, struts, shocks, bar, spacers and control arms.

Kind of disappointing to hear they don't deliver all the way up here.

If you saw what the postage charges are you would not be. When i xhwcked it was four hundred dollars to get it from the vorder to 108 mile. Easily worth the drive for that price. Make sure you order the longer real shocks or you wont like the choppy ride. Let us jnow how it works out once you get it all in.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:00 PM

Ya, not going to try making a rock crawler out of it, this one's the Wife's. But the clearance stock is pretty sad.

We got this version because of the advanced georotor lockers on it.

A couple inches, plus wheel spacers, and tires that are 2 or 3 inches bigger will make quite a difference on it.

Pureblood!
Old 08-22-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
If you saw what the postage charges are you would not be. When i xhwcked it was four hundred dollars to get it from the vorder to 108 mile. Easily worth the drive for that price. Make sure you order the longer real shocks or you wont like the choppy ride. Let us jnow how it works out once you get it all in.
Ya, looking at it, the total kit seems like the way to go.

I'm way up in Fox, so to hit the border is a real trek!

Might pay to have it delivered?

Pureblood!
Old 08-22-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyperch View Post
yeah the manifold bolts are a common problem on the Hemis.
its not the bolts fault as much as its cheap manifolds that have a different expansion rate than the block. so when they heat up and expand it causes stress and twisting on the bolts and over time they break.
I'm in the same boat with my 2014 ram but it should be covered under the power train warranty.

my old ram, i had to replace bolts on both sides of the engine and its not cheap.

i would recommend getting JBA long tube headers
Love to get some JBA headers, but having trouble finding anything that fits. Room is a bit limited, but a person would think that there'd be something?!

Yes, heard that it's mainly the manifolds that cause the problem. Wonder if anyone's solved it by going to a better bolt? But if I can, I'll take both of them out of the equation.

Pureblood!
Old 08-23-2018, 07:49 AM

i replaced my stock manifolds with dorman replacements at Exhaust masters in Lloyd. Unless you are going to tune the engine etc... you wont really see much for performance gains. They upgraded the bolts and i haven't had a problem yet. For your lift take a look at bilstein shocks/struts. They sell some that can be raised a couple inches. Not sure if they carry them for the commander but you could likely just change the mounting spots to fit.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy1979 View Post
i replaced my stock manifolds with dorman replacements at Exhaust masters in Lloyd. Unless you are going to tune the engine etc... you wont really see much for performance gains. They upgraded the bolts and i haven't had a problem yet. For your lift take a look at bilstein shocks/struts. They sell some that can be raised a couple inches. Not sure if they carry them for the commander but you could likely just change the mounting spots to fit.
x2 on the bilstein, i have only hear good things about them.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
On a Hemi Commander? I was looking at Dorman manifolds as an option also, but as soon as I selected them, and tried to pick it for a Hemi, it wouldn't let me. Only for a 4.7? Tried getting some clarification from the store selling block huggers and the Dorman manifolds, and the help line guy told me that they had nothing that would work.

Did anything have to be modified?

HP/TQ gains are only part of the reason. I'm not expecting huge gains, but with a full system I think I should see 10%. I've heard higher, from a guy that does exhaust and dyno'd the results, but erring on the low side.

I'd like to know the difference between the Hemi in the SUV, the 300 and the truck. For some reason the truck makes over 30 more HP. I suspect much of it has to do with a longer body, less restrictive exhaust, less bends, and the better exhaust scavenging that comes with it.

Pureblood!

Last edited by Tactical Lever; 08-23-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
On a Hemi Commander? I was looking at Dorman manifolds as an option also, but as soon as I selected them, and tried to pick it for a Hemi, it wouldn't let me. Only for a 4.7? Tried getting some clarification from the store selling block huggers and the Dorman manifolds, and the help line guy told me that they had nothing that would work.

Did anything have to be modified?

HP/TQ gains are only part of the reason. I'm not expecting huge gains, but with a full system I think I should see 10%. I've heard higher, from a guy that does exhaust and dyno'd the results, but erring on the low side.

I'd like to know the difference between the Hemi in the SUV, the 300 and the truck. For some reason the truck makes over 30 more HP. I suspect much of it has to do with a longer body, less restrictive exhaust, less bends, and the better exhaust scavenging that comes with it.
sorry i have a ram 1500, i just figured the stock style manifold would fit in the commander. You may have to custom build your headers.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
sorry i have a ram 1500, i just figured the stock style manifold would fit in the commander. You may have to custom build your headers.
Thanks Dodgeboy. Yeah, pretty easy to find Hemi headers that fit the trucks; they have a bit more room to play with. I think that we must have picked up the most challenging vehicle around to try getting headers for.

Not too much room beside the engine, and it would have to be done from underneath. Then there are the angles and exit points to deal with. Don't want to cover up and cook the starter either.

I'm ok with having some collectors made. Might be cost prohibitive to have a set of headers custom bent?

Pureblood!
Old 08-23-2018, 12:48 PM

You're talking about kind of a "log" style manifold? Looks like it would flow a fair bit better at lower rpm than a stocker?

Pureblood!
Old 08-23-2018, 12:54 PM

would it be easier to flip the headers upside down and almost run a stack along your window frame so it would look like a snorkle?
Old 08-23-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
would it be easier to flip the headers upside down and almost run a stack along your window frame so it would look like a snorkle?
You mean like zoomies? That would be a kind of awesome that the wife just couldn't handle! Just a couple cuts in the hood... But then I think I'd have to lift it a couple feet to go with that kind of over-the-top!

But a little problem is the frame rails. No room to come out the top.

Ya, I wouldn't be allowed. The exhaust will have a nice "rumble". If I made it sound like a drag car....

Pureblood!
Old 08-23-2018, 03:59 PM

Any recommendations either way on going to stronger bolts, new manifolds even if the old ones look fine, different gaskets?

Looking more and more like it will end up being stock manifolds.

Pureblood!
Old 08-23-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Any recommendations either way on going to stronger bolts, new manifolds even if the old ones look fine, different gaskets?

Looking more and more like it will end up being stock manifolds.
if you are using the stock manifolds have them plained down so they are perfectly flat. Then upgrade your bolts and just use a stock type gasket.
Old 08-23-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
if you are using the stock manifolds have them plained down so they are perfectly flat. Then upgrade your bolts and just use a stock type gasket.
I was thinking of that. Because the warp should be a permanent deformation/deflection after heating, right?

So, if I'm reading you right, I agree that it would be a better bet reusing the ones that have already been through many heat cycles?

Any idea on how much a machine shop would charge to deck them?

Pureblood!