Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-20-2018, 09:45 PM

Default What would you do?

So I have a dilemma......
Tonight I bought a rifle which took me a long time to find. It's in the caliber I've been looking for...the wood quality I've been wanting and control round feed action.
Its used... barely used. The gentlemen I bought it from is a respected man and I trust him.
Well I got it home in better light and discovered the bolt face has a hear line crack. Barley noticeable but there.
I phoned him and explained my discovery, he was quick to say bring it back and well sort it out. He was as shocked as I was.
The rifle is a Kimber 8400 in 338win mag with absolutely stunning furniture.

Now I'm not a gun smith. So my question is.....
Can you replace just the bolt face on a bolt?
Or do you replace the entire bolt?
Are bolts tailored for each individual rifle as they are manufactured? For ideal head space?

Would you just return it?
Or pursue a bolt on the sellers dime?

Appreciate any input.
360hunt

Tight lines.......straight shooting
Old 08-21-2018, 07:35 AM

Since I'm not a gunsmith, I can't comment on whether or not I think it's safe to use as-is. However, other than this issue..the gun is exactly what you're after, correct?

My opinion? Contact Kimber next with all the relevant info. including the serial #. Have good photos of the compromised area ready to send too. I can't imagine Kimber wants guns (with what sounds like a material flaw, but could be a manufacturing error) out there that are anything but safe/properly functioning, etc. I'd approach them on the assumption they'll stand behind this and get that bolt replaced for you, but whether or not they'd need the gun (likely) is there...? I'd also ask them if they sent replacement parts, could you get a qualified gunsmith in Canada fit them? (do they have a preferred, warranty-service gunsmith IN Canada?) If you need it for the upcoming hunting season, then press Kimber about turn-around time and if that doesn't sound good, then ask whether or not the gun is safe to use until after the fall..THEN it can be dealt with.

If you come out of that process with a plan, I'd look at whatever costs you're likely to incur (shipping, at least) and then decide if it's worth approaching the guy you bought it from and see if he's receptive to chipping-in after hearing what's it's going to take to remedy the situation.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:29 AM

It would be extremely unusual for a bolt face to be cracked.May I suggest you have it checked (magma fluxed) by someone before you make any decisions.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
Since I'm not a gunsmith, I can't comment on whether or not I think it's safe to use as-is. However, other than this issue..the gun is exactly what you're after, correct?

My opinion? Contact Kimber next with all the relevant info. including the serial #. Have good photos of the compromised area ready to send too. I can't imagine Kimber wants guns (with what sounds like a material flaw, but could be a manufacturing error) out there that are anything but safe/properly functioning, etc. I'd approach them on the assumption they'll stand behind this and get that bolt replaced for you, but whether or not they'd need the gun (likely) is there...? I'd also ask them if they sent replacement parts, could you get a qualified gunsmith in Canada fit them? (do they have a preferred, warranty-service gunsmith IN Canada?) If you need it for the upcoming hunting season, then press Kimber about turn-around time and if that doesn't sound good, then ask whether or not the gun is safe to use until after the fall..THEN it can be dealt with.

If you come out of that process with a plan, I'd look at whatever costs you're likely to incur (shipping, at least) and then decide if it's worth approaching the guy you bought it from and see if he's receptive to chipping-in after hearing what's it's going to take to remedy the situation.
This.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 08-21-2018, 09:22 AM

Called Kimber this morning. They said to send them the rifle for their examination. If the bolt is cracked it would be under warranty. Each and every rifle is head spaced for that rifle. So head spacing would have to be checked.
All was good until the rep notice my are a code. He quickly said he can't help me because we Don't warranty imports.
He then directed me to the Korth group in Alberta.
I have sent details and pictures to their department and awaiting a reply.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360hunt View Post
Called Kimber this morning. They said to send them the rifle for their examination. If the bolt is cracked it would be under warranty. Each and every rifle is head spaced for that rifle. So head spacing would have to be checked.
All was good until the rep notice my are a code. He quickly said he can't help me because we Don't warranty imports.
He then directed me to the Korth group in Alberta.
I have sent details and pictures to their department and awaiting a reply.
If Korth groups treats it the same for Kimber as they do Leupold's your in good hands, maybe better as there is less shipping hassles.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 08-21-2018, 10:07 AM

Better hands. Much better hands.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:35 PM

Keep us informed. Good reason to buy a guilty gun just for that warranty alone
Old 08-21-2018, 09:33 PM

Korth warranty department got back to me promptly.
They asked questions about what ammunition was used. Grain of bullet etc...etc...
Because I haven't fire it and Don't have the answers to their questions I contacted the original owner who sold it to me.
The rifle is back with him and he will be continuing to warranty process.

My over all experience is.........

Even though the rifle in question had a flaw in its bolt.
It was obvious that it's a quality made firearm with a great Warranty backed by Kimber and it's distributors.
With speaking with the US kimber warranty department i quickly noticed the level of pride they have for their work and want to resolve things in a quick professional manor.
I had the same level of commitment with our Canadian warranty department. (Korth).
As far as resolved.....i will be in touch with the original owner and see how he makes out in the long run.
But from the impressions left he is in good hands.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:17 PM

I hope all is well. Enjoy that fine rifle when it is back in your hands.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:32 PM

Often a scratch is confused with a crack. NDE will determine it quickly.