Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-23-2009, 07:36 PM

Default Snowmobile or quad?

Should I buy a snowmobile or quad for ice fishing? Snowmobile can go pretty well anywhere even in deep snow and can pull more. Quad can be used year round. hmmm...decisions, decisions...
Old 12-23-2009, 07:43 PM
Banned

If its just going to be used for ice fishing and you dont want anything spectacular you will be able to find a good sled for much cheaper than a quad. I used to have an old 70's scorpion for ice fishing, a farmer gave it to me on the condition I never bring it back. A $50 carb kit and she ran like a top!
Old 12-23-2009, 09:10 PM

[QUOTE=Lambo;463822]Should I buy a snowmobile or quad for ice fishing? Snowmobile can go pretty well anywhere even in deep snow and can pull more. Quad can be used year round. hmmm...decisions, decisions...[/QUOT

]For me it would depend where I fished the most. If its in southern alberta then hands down its a quad, there is almost always no snow on the ice. If its north than a sled because of the deep snow on the lakes
Old 12-23-2009, 11:30 PM

If you want to have the best of both worlds, get a quad and a set of tracks. I have a set for my Rhino and last year I went every where the sleds did. I even did better in the float water then the sleds. You lose half your speed, but it is to cold to go fast anyway.

Check out http://www.camoplast.com/en/tracksys...escription.php
Old 12-24-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
If you want to have the best of both worlds, get a quad and a set of tracks. I have a set for my Rhino and last year I went every where the sleds did. I even did better in the float water then the sleds. You lose half your speed, but it is to cold to go fast anyway.
Ok I am curious How much does that cost? Cause it looks like it will handle all my concerns.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:55 AM

ArgoGuy

One question how come you guys never have prices on your websites? Just curious even if you just gave a base line for each model.. I would appreciate it. I personally look around till I see a price first.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:59 AM

Are you talking about buying new? If only one I would buy a quad, snow has to be pretty deep or hard packed drifts. Rather than buy new I would buy both a used quad and sled for the same price. If you are looking utility a new yamaha Bravo sled you can get for around $4500, not fast but can haul all your gear.
Salty
Old 12-24-2009, 09:21 AM

Depends....

If you say your going to use it for ice-fishing only. I would go with a sled. Especially when the fishing is slow

But I doubt you will use it for fishing only. Chances are if you bought a quad you will find plenty of uses for it in the summer.

I would go with a quad, if you have uses for it in the summer as well.
But, if you live in a place where there is lots of snow or a long winter, go for a sled. Quad sucks in deep snow.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmoretoys View Post

Check out http://www.camoplast.com/en/tracksys...escription.php
Sure look cool. But you might as well spend the money on a sled.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:23 AM

jjstar.
We do not post prices as we have to many models and options to list. If you want pm me and I can send you some info depending on what size would work 6 wheel or 8 wheel new or used. The options are to many to list.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:50 AM

If you are running out with kids. the sled is also warmer. It is designed for winter running You are higher on the quad and less protected. I would say get both used on of each
Old 12-24-2009, 02:45 PM

I was in the same dilemma and bought a quad back in 2002. The last few years have been heavy with snow so the quad was useless for ice fishing. I just bought a new sled last month so problem solved. Get one of each.

Aim Small Miss Small
Old 12-24-2009, 07:10 PM

The tracks cost about $4000 new. I picked my set up for $3000 installed. It was cheaper for me to get them instead of a sled and I only have one machine to insure and look after. The tracks work great for the intent. A sled is allot of fun, but bin there done that. This way if it does not snow much, I don't feel so bad. When I had a sled there was never enough snow. Had to go to the mountains to ride and that gets a little pricey.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:06 AM
Gone Fishing

Do your heart a favor and buy a decent set of snowshoes and a pulk. Any maintenance will only benefit your cholesterol level.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:54 AM

The property I work on has a quad with tracks - that thing is insane! I have yet to get it stuck or outperform it with a horse/foot/4x4.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:12 AM

Thanks for all the responses. I decided to go with a quad - just bought a 2006 Yamaha Kodiak. Now time to rig it all up.