Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-19-2021, 10:52 PM

Default Supplement Tags

Due to some unforeseen issues in our business this year my wife and I were unable to get out hunting and we are considering a supplemental tag to put some meat in the freezer for the winter. My question is, due to many areas in my opinion which shouldn't have supplemental tags as there is too many that shoot too many deer and that is not the part of conservation therefore was looking for some professional opinions on a good area that may need a bit of population reduction so would be a good place to harvest. If there is not an area like this we will just consider this year a loss and wait until next year.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 12-19-2021, 11:01 PM

Not sure I understand this correctly, but the big game hunting season is over, mate, lol. Unless you drew some late season elk tags, you are waiting until next season. Tomorrow is also the last day for the antlerless mule deer draw tags in a couple of WMU’s.

P. S. It’s a joke thread, right? I have got to be really missing something.

P. P. S. Probably belongs in the hunting section.
Old 12-19-2021, 11:08 PM

No it is not a joke I realize the rules I know tomorrow is the last day for a couple of zones so the question would be is looking for a professional opinion on whether these zones should be hunted or if they are over hunted or what area is better if there is a doe population that needs to be reduced. Sorry if my original post was not clear but I think it was. I know the rules and as a true conservationist Hunter just looking for an opinion on what to do. We have not had much time for early season hunting or scouting this year so was looking to see on what everybody thought, we have multiple leases available in zones still open until end of day like tomorrow.

Old 12-19-2021, 11:10 PM
Banned

Thought big game hunting is officially done unless you're going go hunt with one of those late season draw license? Even then, that's mostly for elk(from what I remember) for a specific part of Alberta.

Unless you have a treaty card?
Old 12-19-2021, 11:27 PM

The only seasons that are still open (antlerless mule deer and elk) or will be open later (antlerless elk) in a few WMU’s are for people with tags they were drawn for earlier in the year. There are no supplemental tags.

Edit: unless there are still some undersubscribed antlerless elk tags still available.

Edit 2: Which, you are in luck, there are still plenty:

So you can buy one unless you had an elk tag for earlier seasons.

P. S. Man, I wish I could grab one of those tags in 522 or 523.

Last edited by fishnguy; 12-19-2021 at 11:37 PM.
Old 12-19-2021, 11:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
The only seasons that are still open (antlerless mule deer and elk) or will be open later (antlerless elk) in a few WMU’s are for people with tags they were drawn for earlier in the year. There are no supplemental tags.

Edit: unless there are still some undersubscribed antlerless elk tags still available.

Edit 2: Which, you are in luck, there are still plenty:

So you can buy one unless you had an elk tag for earlier seasons.

P. S. Man, I wish I could grab one of those tags in 522 or 523.
Dam.

I should start learning how to hunt elk then
Old 12-20-2021, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttincircles View Post
Due to some unforeseen issues in our business this year my wife and I were unable to get out hunting and we are considering a supplemental tag to put some meat in the freezer for the winter. My question is, due to many areas in my opinion which shouldn't have supplemental tags as there is too many that shoot too many deer and that is not the part of conservation therefore was looking for some professional opinions on a good area that may need a bit of population reduction so would be a good place to harvest. If there is not an area like this we will just consider this year a loss and wait until next year.
Unless you've got a draw, which it sounds like you don't, your season is long over. Or like fishnguy pointed out, start heading north!!
Old 12-30-2021, 11:23 PM

Thanks for the replies, we got out and could have punched a tag on a couple small does, but rather save em to populate. Might just head north for wapti, thanks all.

Old 12-30-2021, 11:26 PM

What zone did you go?
Old 12-30-2021, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
What zone did you go?

Old 12-31-2021, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttincircles View Post

Did you get the foothills deer license? The late season December tags in 212 aren’t supplemental they are under the foothills deer license. In the Regs it also states you need written landowner permission so I’m not sure if leased land would qualify for the December late season.

Last edited by SouthWestRanger; 12-31-2021 at 12:12 PM.
Old 12-31-2021, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthWestRanger View Post
Did you get the foothills deer license? The late season December tags in 212 aren’t supplemental they are under the foothills deer license. In the Regs it also states you need written landowner permission so I’m not sure if leased land would qualify for the December late season.
I agree. Supplemental is done each year after November 30.
Old 12-31-2021, 02:39 PM

Some confusion.
Is OP asking about supp or undersubscribed tags?
Also seems to not agree with supp tags in some areas.
Must be an enviro bio,
And asking for professional opinions, ha.

TBark