Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-31-2014, 10:27 AM

Default Tumbler Help???

Hey Guys

I’m not new to reloading just new to the Tumbling business, prior to having a tumbler I would just scrub my rifle casings clean. Now I purchased a Hornady tumbler and the green medium I believe its corn if I can remember. Just wondering what you guys do since the instruction is minimal. My first batch I put casing lube on them then sized the casings and taking the primer out at the same time I then de burred and cleaned the primer pocket. After that I filled the tumbler half full and installed 50 – 300RUM casings I let it run for 30 min not knowing the exact time required. After I pulled the casings out they were very green looking and still kind of sticky from the casing lube.

Just looking for tips and ideas of what you guys do.

Thanks
Old 07-31-2014, 11:06 AM

I run mine for 6 hours or more depending on how dirty the cases are
Old 07-31-2014, 11:45 AM

One - I prefer walnut to corn as I think it cleans better and removes case lube easier. If the lube is water soluble try washing the cases in hot water and let them air dry for an hour before tumbling. They clean up quicker and your media doesn't gum up as fast.

Two- more cases is better than less cases. 50 Rum is a good start, 100 regular rifle, 200 pistol. Just seem to clean better fuller.

Three- It will take at least 3 hours and 6 -10 is better for heavily oxidized.

Four - media lasts a very long time, 50,000 pistol cases or more, just sift out the real fine bits and keep using the rest. Lyman makes a white liquid media activator that you can add to your media to improve the cleaning action and shorten cleaning times. Takes very little and only needs to be added every 5000 cases or so.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:01 PM

Thanks for the Comments guys thats exactly what I was looking for!!
Old 07-31-2014, 02:59 PM

Another good tip is add a 1/2 sheet of bounce, keeps the dust down when your unloading
Old 07-31-2014, 03:38 PM

Using a vibrating machine with corn cob media, you can expect hours to go by, and only the outside of the cases will get cleaned. Tumbling with stainless medium cleans and polishes cases inside and out, in a fraction of the time.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Using a vibrating machine with corn cob media, you can expect hours to go by, and only the outside of the cases will get cleaned. Tumbling with stainless medium cleans and polishes cases inside and out, in a fraction of the time.
X10 Cleans out the primer hole as if it were new. Love the stuff. No dust and just pour the water down the drain. Use a little Lemi-shine and Dawn.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:01 PM

Try cleaning case lube off brass before tumbling,this will prevent it from turning green and dirty too soon. I use lighter fluid and a rag.

If you tumble after resizing you will have to poke out all corn/walnut media that gets lodged in flash hole.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:24 AM
Banned

Default Blind leading the blind.

I think your flash hole is plugged.LOL
Old 08-01-2014, 07:29 AM

Default Still hanging by a thread?

aQ that UOTE= all gtr; 2507A328]I think your flash hole is plugged.LOL[/QUOTE]

Is that all you got?U
These Alberta Boyz aren't gonna put up with your "wizz-dumb" much longer I figure. I see another BAN coming ...lol.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:26 AM

Smile Aren't these guys great!

It was the 1/2 sheet of Bounce I couldn't remember. There also was mention on here of a liquid that you could add that made them shiny, maybe it was jeweller's rouge. Can any one help, mine still aren't as shiny as Cat's.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:48 AM

Densa44

This is what you are looking for.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
It was the 1/2 sheet of Bounce I couldn't remember. There also was mention on here of a liquid that you could add that made them shiny, maybe it was jeweller's rouge. Can any one help, mine still aren't as shiny as Cat's.
À couple teaspoons of metal polish added to media works great for a shiny finish to. Something like Turtle wax metal polish.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:53 AM

I run mine over nite in walnut. I don't punch the primers out until after the tumbler. Saves on plugged flash holes and no lube.
Half sheet of bounce is great. Everything comes out looking brand new. Shake everything good in the sifter and a lite air blow from the compressor and ready for the bench.

In order to be a smart azz, you have to be smart otherwise you are just an azz.

You're offended.... I think it is funny and that is why I am happier than you.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:06 AM

Smile Thanks very much

I figure if I can't make ammo as well as Dick or Elk I can have cases that are just as shiny. I need to do my .410 brass, we are full time dog training and I use my 444 reloads in the .410 to shoot pigeons and chukars (Thanks to StanH an AO member) I'm using some very old 8700 powder and it seems to work great, a bit smoky though.

I'll remember not to punch out the primers before I tumble.