Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

View Poll Results: How many of you are members of a Pro-Gun Lobby and PC Party
I am a Card Carrying member of both a Pro-Gun Lobby group and the PC Party 34 29.82%
I am a Member of the PC Party. 9 7.89%
I am a member of a Pro-gun lobby group. 44 38.60%
I actively participate in the activities of one or both 8 7.02%
I plan to join one or both in the next week but haven't yet. 17 14.91%
I don't see the point in fighting back, we are terminally screwed. 17 14.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2019, 10:34 AM

Default So How many have finally Joined a Pro Gun Lobby Group.

With bill C-71, the rumoured plan to ban AR-15s and all handguns by order in council, how many on here have finally decided to actually join a pro gun lobby group. How many have bought a Conservation Party membership and talked to their MP. I see a ton of complaining but I have not seen a real surge in activity. Without dollars and active opposition the idiots lead by the Liberals are just going to keep chipping away. We need to get "Property Rights" enshrined in the Canadian Constitution or we are going to see this nonsense every time we get a Liberal or NDP government.

A membership to CSSA is $35, uninsured, Conservative Party is about $30 too. Step up and join the fight please.

You can choose more than one answer in the Poll so that we get a fuller picture.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:08 PM

Interesting, 40 people read the post, only 7 could even be bothered to vote and 2 of those think we are hooped, no point in fighting back. Never thought I would see the day gun owners became such a complacent bunch.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:42 PM

My apologies for saying PC party in the poll, it should match what I put in the topic and that is Conservative Party, or to be 100% correct, should be the Conservative Party of Canada. I well know better, have been a member for over 40 years. Heck, have even been my local riding's VP and President. Point remains, you know what I am asking.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:21 PM

CCFR, NFA and CPC member. I won’t be renewing my membership with the NFA after the stunt they pulled Suing the CCFR.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:54 PM

NFA, CPC and CCFR here.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:15 PM

After watching the members on here jump up and down with glee after Harper was defeated...this poll does not surprise me at all..
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
With bill C-71, the rumoured plan to ban AR-15s and all handguns by order in council, how many on here have finally decided to actually join a pro gun lobby group. How many have bought a Conservation Party membership and talked to their MP. I see a ton of complaining but I have not seen a real surge in activity. Without dollars and active opposition the idiots lead by the Liberals are just going to keep chipping away. We need to get "Property Rights" enshrined in the Canadian Constitution or we are going to see this nonsense every time we get a Liberal or NDP government.

A membership to CSSA is $35, uninsured, Conservative Party is about $30 too. Step up and join the fight please.

You can choose more than one answer in the Poll so that we get a fuller picture.
That’s because there is no choice that simply says not me
Old 05-28-2019, 12:33 AM

690 views 79 people voted.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Personally I'm going to wait until we see what happens before I decide where to put my support. There's an awful lot of histrionics and rumours going around the past month and I am concerned we as a community are overreacting to some very thin information. Don't get me wrong, I feel the same fear as anyone else on this subject. I'm pretty close to buying an AR-15 that I'm not sure I really want "just in case" but I don't feel very good about it either. Same feeling as when I started hoarding 22lr a few years back despite my best intentions.

What I don't want to see is our lobby groups go the same way the NRA has down south with the rumour and rhetoric taking over. Does anyone else remember in 2015 when they were all upset about ITAR regulations banning the publishing of reloading data? It was absurd and IMO does more to damage our image than it does to help it. We will do serious damage to our cause if we come off looking like a bunch of screaming idiots.

So with that in mind I'm watching the CSSA and CCFR real close to see how they handle this. CCFR is already looking pretty bad IMO, the language they use in their releases is unprofessional and pretty NRA-ish.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:17 AM

The NRA does seem to be extreme at times, but on the other hand, if they give an inch, the anti firearms groups will go for a mile.

I am a member of three ranges, and I am a volunteer at one, the more people that we can involve in our sport, and the more organized we appear, the more support we have. What will destroy us, is the firearms owners that don't support each other, and the idiots that shoot up signs and private property, and that leave a mess in the field.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The NRA does seem to be extreme at times, but on the other hand, if they give an inch, the anti firearms groups will go for a mile.
The problem with that approach is that if you lose then you lose everything. Both sides of the debate in the US could benefit from taking it down a notch or two IMO, I really hope we don’t find ourselves in the same place.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:17 PM

I purchased a membership in the ccfr a couple months ago, if they start banning and confiscating I don’t want to look back and say I did absolutely nothing about it.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
The problem with that approach is that if you lose then you lose everything. Both sides of the debate in the US could benefit from taking it down a notch or two IMO, I really hope we don’t find ourselves in the same place.
If we lose, we lose everything anyways, only we lose it in stages, not all at once. But in the end, the result is the same.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:27 AM

Finally joined this morning, kept forgetting!
Old 05-29-2019, 01:07 PM

I vote : I plan to join one or both in the next week but haven't yet
Old 05-29-2019, 01:41 PM

I already have memberships in three, NFA, CCFR and CSSA. I wish they all had the exact same consensus as to how to approach the issues but my thoughts are that three voices are better than two, one or none.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:45 PM

Other than making your self feel better what change has the Canadian gun lobby made when an opposing party like the liberals have had a majority. If you think about it people that are in the nfa ccfr and cssa likely would have never voted liberal in the first place and they still got a majority. What would being a member of one of these groups do for me more effectively than just my vote in a federal election.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Other than making your self feel better what change has the Canadian gun lobby made when an opposing party like the liberals have had a majority. If you think about it people that are in the nfa ccfr and cssa likely would have never voted liberal in the first place and they still got a majority. What would being a member of one of these groups do for me more effectively than just my vote in a federal election.
My feelings exactly, the more people that we can recruit into the shooting sports, the more votes we get opposing gun control regulations. So getting people involved in shooting, likely does us more good than all of the three shooting organizations lobbying does.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
690 views 79 people voted.
Keep in mind that lots of people revisit a thread they are curious about(especially a poll thread) several time over, just to see where it's headed and what might be new,I know I do.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:08 AM

Default resurrect this post of Deans

Just watched the CCFRAGM2019, and it is the organization to join.
I joined a couple of years ago, provides insurance and you can also add legal defence insurance should you need it, well spent money.
I qouted Elkhunter11 below, as he's a very active member in the shooting sports and on AO. Watch the AGM and see why this is the group to align with. They are being a voice none of the other organizations are, they are professional and organized, and this we all lack. We need to stop hiding as gun owners, as they said in the AGM, 'This approach hasn't worked".
I am not a big believer of the way the NRA operates, but they have been effective. CCFR is no NRA, thats for certain, but we need to put dollars in the hands that have the attention on the Hill.
Voting isn't enough, we need to get a backbone, speak up, and rally gun owners to show numbers prior to elections, because politicians care about votes. If you do nothing other than provide lip service, you will have failed not only yourself, but your children and Grandchildren. Loss of Freedoms is a worthy fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
My feelings exactly, the more people that we can recruit into the shooting sports, the more votes we get opposing gun control regulations. So getting people involved in shooting, likely does us more good than all of the three shooting organizations lobbying does.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:05 AM

1439 views, 113 votes. Pretty low participation rate for a Hunting, Shooting and Fishing Forum. Poll closes tomorrow.

I agree with tall the comments about the best defense is to recruit more shooters. I also recently found out that you can take youth shooters out to the Sherwood Park Range quite easily. Hopefully this gets extend at other ranges as one of the biggest challenges is to find somewhere to join to be able to shoot.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:24 AM

Member of the CPC and UCP, ex member of KGB... just kidding!
Old 06-12-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
1439 views, 113 votes. Pretty low participation rate for a Hunting, Shooting and Fishing Forum. Poll closes tomorrow.

You'll get a better response when they come for the pumps and levers
Old 06-12-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
1439 views, 113 votes. Pretty low participation rate for a Hunting, Shooting and Fishing Forum. Poll closes tomorrow. .
I didn't respond because it's a bad poll. I do not belong to a political party, or a gun rights group nor do I have plans to join one in the next week. It does not follow however, that I agree with the final choice in the poll

I shoot on a semi weekly basis and promote the sport to friends and acquaintances who show any interest, including another first time shooter just a couple of weeks ago. I do care about gun rights, but don't have much information about, or faith in any particular lobby group operating in Canada that will represent my needs effectively.

Bottom line, people fear what they don't know. I do my part by being open about my love of shooting, and actively promoting it by introducing people to the sport first hand.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:29 AM

Default New shooters

Getting new people into the sport is great, but a million new shooting enthusiasts sitting quietly by does very little to protect and support.
New shooters, or any new activity participants for that matter, rarely feel comfortable speaking out in support of their hobby/passion. Thats why joining a pro firearm owners rights organization is ideal, you get to pay someone who isnt a sinister sounding moron to speak on your behalf and defend your position.
This time, the Sky May actually be falling!
Old 06-13-2019, 09:52 AM

Your argument is reasonable, but the poll was still a bad leading poll. Basically, are you doing one of these specific things that you should be doing, or have do you just not care/have resigned yourself to losing?
That's bad polling and the reason people aren't responding.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:17 AM

Everyone has their opinion, but I don't believe that our current government in any way cares how Canadians feel about their new regulations, they only care about votes. As for the voters, most that have no interest in firearms, won't bother even listening to anything that the CCFR, or NFA has to say. I believe that the only way to swing voters to support firearms, is to get them interested in firearms. I watched one CCFR program, and to be honest, it never interested me in the slightest, so I haven't watched one since. I don't see non firearms owners bothering to watch these programs. I see it being far more effective, to invite a non firearms owner out shooting, whether it be at a range or in the field. I am seeing more and more non shooters come out to the range, as a guest, only to purchase their own membership, and purchase their own firearms as a result, so this is the approach that I m taking to promote our shooting sports.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:27 AM

I believe that there are people actively doing things to defend their gun rights that don't involve joining a lobby group or being politically active. Recruiting new shooters to the sport is effective at producing more pro-gun voters. Unless gun owners actually vote based on this issue however, and make their voting choices known to the parties running, it won't help just to have more shooters.

What I know for certain is that about 90% of gun owners are doing absolutely FA of any kind to defend their gun rights and they will come to regret that. If you are doing nothing, at least coughing 30 bucks to support a lobby group is a bit of a help. The NRA has its problems but American gun rights would be very different if they didn't exist.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:00 PM

Dean,
Have you taken a moment to contemplate that some not answering the poll is due to the fact that we have been members of said organizations in the past and it has amounted to ZERO positive change, no blocking of laws, no rescinding of restricted or prohibited status, no more access to the strained gun ranges we have, no fighting bylaws that prevent us from shooting on our own acreages, but they sure do send emails and letters asking for more money.....

Why will it be different this time?

As for government parties, besides rescinding the registry which was a cost savings disguised as a pro-gun move, what makes you think the Conservatives will relax gun laws when they have never done so in the past,

Again, Why will it be different this time?
Old 06-13-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
Dean,
Have you taken a moment to contemplate that some not answering the poll is due to the fact that we have been members of said organizations in the past and it has amounted to ZERO positive change, no blocking of laws, no rescinding of restricted or prohibited status, no more access to the strained gun ranges we have, no fighting bylaws that prevent us from shooting on our own acreages, but they sure do send emails and letters asking for more money.....

Why will it be different this time?

As for government parties, besides rescinding the registry which was a cost savings disguised as a pro-gun move, what makes you think the Conservatives will relax gun laws when they have never done so in the past,

Again, Why will it be different this time?
The conservatives did not JUST eliminate the gun registry. They reversed classification of the CZ-85, they took unilateral re-class out of the hands of the RCMP, they eased the system for getting your authorization to transport, they provided a grace period for expired PALs and a bunch of other changes that made it much easier for gun owners. Time to actually keep up on what is really going on.

With respect to the various Lobby groups I don't have the time or inclination to go through and lay out all of the legal work, legal support etc the various groups have been engaged in. Nor do I think it should be necessary to point out how many of the ranges we all shoot at are the result of hard work and members of Fish and Game or other lobby groups. Again, if you fail to inform yourself it is very easy to just dismiss all activities to support the retention of our ability to keep and use guns.

So tell me, what you are personally doing to affect this since politics and lobby groups don't work, or are you one of those that thinks we are "Terminally screwed", might as well just sit back and take it.