Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-22-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
I've been teaching people this for 20 years all you need is a knife and not even a very big one I just have no idea why people would want to bring a whole animal home unless you live on an acreage or something I guess.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
We like to hang quarters for aging, Dads an old school butcher and when we age stuff we like to limit the surface area. Hence why we always bring stuff out while and on the bone. You have to have the means to deal with it however so it's not for everyone.

LC.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
If you guys learn to bone out your game you won’t need to build or buy these heavy supports. If your going to butcher it on your own you can bone it out in the field and fit an entire whitetail in a regular sized cooler or in a spare fridge. It’ll keep nice and cool in the fridge if it’s frozen it’ll thaw out at a nice controlled temperature and when your ready to cut half the processing will already done. you can get a big enough fridge you can fit an entire moose or elk in there if you watch kajiji sometimes there free.

I’ve included a link to randy newburg boneing out an elk for the guys that are interested. I’ve totally shifted from quartering and sawing or gutting and dragging to this method. It’s Easy to pack and transport not difficult and dosnt take a lot of time and all you need is a knife.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny5z3kJWbn8
100% couldn't agree more. Got a full moose in my super large Costco cooler with a little left over in a regular Coleman cooler. Hauled it out in my VW golf. It only takes a couple hours to do solo, with two knives and a pocket sharpener. And with a couple buddy's it takes less time than it takes us to share a 6 pack. Heading out this weekend for Archery elk. Got the cooler in the truck, I'm set.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:43 PM

I love my system.

upload photo to web

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 08-22-2019, 10:50 PM

Looks very nice,bang on.
Old 08-23-2019, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
We like to hang quarters for aging, Dads an old school butcher and when we age stuff we like to limit the surface area. Hence why we always bring stuff out while and on the bone. You have to have the means to deal with it however so it's not for everyone.

LC.
Yes I meant gutless method not deboning I very rarely deboned my meat I like hanging it on the bone my family is all butchers to

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2019, 06:20 AM

I have been hanging wild game in my walk in cooler for the past 35 years and what i have learnt is not to hang wild game as long as beef. 3-4 days and i will start to butcher my moose same with deer . So hanging in a garage will work if its cool for a few days..
Old 08-23-2019, 07:39 AM

I have a 4x4 post 6' long that I ran some large Eye bolts through and countersunk them. I screwed the 4x4 to one of my crossbeams of the finished garage roof just to keep it there but not to hold the weight. I then screwed a 4x4 post against the wall that extends from the concrete footing up to the 4x4 on the roof and it supports all the weight of the post on the roof. On the other side I use a 4x4 that I set in a movable concrete deck post holder on the floor and 4x4 goes to ceiling and is screwed to the crossbeam just to keep in place. The 4x4's from floor to ceiling hold all the weight. It is easily movable and kept in the corner out of the way. 2 minutes to set up or take down and total cost of around $40. I have hung a couple deer from it at a time and have hung a moose from it no problem. Back the truck in the garage, come along or small portable winch to animal, crank it up and drive away.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo Snukkle View Post
I use a pallet rack. Added heavy duty castors to wheel it over an endgate. I can tarp the whole thing in with a canvas tarp and add an open cooler of dry ice placed on the floor if too warm out.
Good idea!
Old 08-23-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
We have hung full moose, elk and even a couple steers from the 4x4 posts I have run through the trusses in my garage. Never had a problem and we can straight swing them into the cooler with the pulley system we installed. Works well.

LC
Best meat I've eaten came out if this garage. Hands down.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy123 View Post
I’m looking for a way to hang game in my garage this fall. It’s a finished garage so I’m not really looking at messing with anything roof-wise. I’m looking at buying a 1 ton gantry from princess auto. Anyone have any suggestions to something similar and or better? Or anyone have experience with the gantry and are they any good for hanging game.
This did not last long...

Old 08-26-2019, 03:51 PM

I used 4 X 6 treated beams. I stood 2 up vertically reaching up to 6” below the ceiling and bolted them to the walls on opposite sides of a corner of the garage, then rested a third beam horizontally across on top of the first 2 beams. Bolted it on top of the other 2. Works like a charm.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin View Post
Trusses are not made to support hanging loads.
Was out at my hunting partner's place this past weekend and while we were in the shop I looked up, saw the big eye hooks in the ceiling and remembered this conversation..........and most specifically, the above......so I asked him if he'd beefed up the support on the bottom of his trusses and explained why I was asking. His answer was "No, it's not necessary."

He's a retired civil engineer and if he says it doesn't require any extra support, I believe him.

FWIW, we've had as much as one elk, one bull moose, one calf moose and upwards of 8 dear suspended from these hooks at one time. The deer had to share hooks but the big animals had their own.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***