Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-10-2019, 08:38 PM
Banned

Default which case trimmer to invest in?

Hey everyone,

I would like to have your guys' opinion regarding case trimmers.

Currently I have a lee hand trimmer with the power adapter. However, my hands cramp from the trimming, deburring, and chamfering.

I have some cash on hands and I was looking at the giraud case trimmer and the sinclair w/micrometer case trimmer. However, I'm not sure which one is the best to get in my situation

My situation:
- I reload 300wsm, 308win, 30-06, and in the future 45-70 and 458 lott
- I reload, in total, 1000 rounds per yr.
- I reload for precision shooting.
- I full length resize all the time.
- in for reloading for the long run.

I appreciate your guys' opinions
Old 02-10-2019, 08:44 PM

Default Great Trimmer

I own and use one of these and its very nice

https://youtu.be/4If_OQ22KDo
Old 02-10-2019, 08:55 PM

It isn't cheap, but I really like the RCBS Universal Case Prep Tool. It trims, chambers, and cleans primer pockets, it is micrometer adjustable, with variable speed, and it doesn't require shareholders.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It isn't cheap, but I really like the RCBS Universal Case Prep Tool. It trims, chambers, and cleans primer pockets, it is micrometer adjustable, with variable speed, and it doesn't require shareholders.
Oh, I actually have a lyman case prep tool. Kind of forgot to mention that. So I do have most of the functions that you've mentioned.

The only thing I do not like about the case prep tools are when doing alot of cases. It cramps the hands. Although, it might just be me.

Last edited by NinjaHunter; 02-10-2019 at 09:16 PM. Reason: poor grammar
Old 02-10-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaHunter View Post
Oh, I actually have a lyman case prep tool. Kind of forgot to mention that. So I do have most of the functions that you've mentioned.

The only thing I do not like about the case prep tools are when doing alot of cases. It cramps the hands. Although, it might just be me.
No no, not just you. I have the Lyman brass prep station too. I love it to death but after doing 100-200 cases at a time, my fingers start to get in tough shape. I’m gonna start wearing a pair of thin gloves to help take some of the toll.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:19 AM

Tons of money to burn, Id say the Giraud Case Trimmer is the best on the market for ease of use, and speed.

If accuracy is your major concern and you have a bit less money to burn, Id say the LE Wilson with Micrometer is top notch. I have one and I couldnt be happier. Only gripe I have is the the case holders arent SS so they NEED to be oiled after use or you’ll have rusty finger prints on your holders in no time. But otherwise its great.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Hey everyone,

Currently I have a lee hand trimmer with the power adapter. However, my hands cramp from the trimming, deburring, and chamfering.

I have some cash on hands and I was looking at the giraud case trimmer and the sinclair w/micrometer case trimmer. However, I'm not sure which one is the best to get in my situation

My situation:

What about the Redding 2400 precision trimmer with micrometer adjustment & power adapter for cordless drill. I noticed there's a used one -- mint shape at the outdoorsman in the hat for around $ 170. -- they usually sticker for around $ 285. -- just my observation.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:48 PM

Default Trim it 2

I like this one. It's a 3 way trimmer and works good on a drill that can turn counter clockwise. It indexes off the shoulder.

https://www.blackwidowshooters.com/p...age/trim-it-ii
Old 02-11-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Hey everyone,

My situation:

I have had both trimmers you mentioned. I use the Giraud Powered Case trimmer now and worth every penny imo. I had a Wilson Stainless case trimmer with micrometer adjustment. The Wilson was accurate but slow and after trimming you still had to chamfer and debur. The Giraud is very fast and accurate and trims, chamfers, deburs in one shot, in a couple of seconds per case. The Giraud is one piece of reloading equipment I will never part with.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:45 PM

I have and like my rcbs trimm pro 2.. pretty fast as I cycle threw my Lyman case prep, in between trimms
Got it used , great price, a little sceptical about consistancy... after a little use , and replacing the stripped counter screws.
It works well .. accurate and precise..
Then again I make sure everything is tight, and also make sure that the case is concentric and square before I tighten up the clamp around the rim the brass..
Money money money. What to do?????
Old 02-11-2019, 07:48 PM

The giraud is probably the best there is. I have the Frankford arsenal case prep center. For the money I've been happy with it.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:25 AM

I have the RCBS Power trim pro,had for around 8 years without a problem.It came with pilots and holders.Had to get a couple of holders for it for different cases but I am happy with it.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airw4ves View Post
Tons of money to burn, Id say the Giraud Case Trimmer is the best on the market for ease of use, and speed.

If accuracy is your major concern and you have a bit less money to burn, Id say the LE Wilson with Micrometer is top notch. I have one and I couldnt be happier. Only gripe I have is the the case holders arent SS so they NEED to be oiled after use or you’ll have rusty finger prints on your holders in no time. But otherwise its great.
All of my case holders are stainless, I still give them a touch of oil from time to time though. Still the best trimmer out there IMHO
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:51 PM

I looked at them over Xmas to try to decide on one, ended up buying a Hornady powered case prep center. They were on sale at under 400.00 US. My issue with the Giraud & Wilson was the shellholders, they make a lot of them, and I needed at least 5 different ones minimum, and there are a couple that I would need, they don't make. The Hornady uses regular shellholders, theirs are the large hole version, but, they make the ones I need, and 6 regular ones come with it, along with the primer pocket and deburring tools and brushes and pilots. Last year they had a promo with 500 bullets, missed that, but, even at that, I landed it here for 700.00, the Giraud is all of that with the shellholders, plus exchange, plus freight. If you watch the vids on the Hornady, they have made one improvement on it that I am aware of, they put an indexing mark on top. In what I've tried so far, works well. It only arrived on Sat, so, all I did was set it up and try 1/2doz cases. Does what it is supposed to do. I'm told the RCBS 3 way head will work on it also.
That should be the last splurge I do on reloading equipt. Between that and the Chargemaster, they should make life a bit simpler.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:59 PM

I use the Lee Quick Trim case trimmer... It's not a "powered" machine, except for man power.

But it precisely trims multiple cases, IME with a ~ 0.001" variance.