Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-08-2019, 10:24 PM

Default Electric Ice Auger Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6ga6NNSse4

Ok so we bought this ice Auger and I am under no sort of arrangement with Rapala or Strikemaster at the time. What you see is what you get and my absolutely shocked and honest opinion of this new electric ice auger. I really was hesitant about the products and still the only thing I can see that may be an issue is the battery life. But if you have spare batteries it is like having extra gas, so drill away. At some point I'll to a max hole drill test.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 02-09-2019, 07:17 AM

Agree on the auger. Was that an 8 or 10? I have the 10 and it cuts really well. So nice to put in the pull sled with no gas or mess
Old 02-09-2019, 10:12 AM

Nice review Brandon, quick question about the Strikemaster. Does it always catch just before going through the ice at the bottom of the hole? I bought a 8" trophy strike and I have not had it get stuck yet in 40+ holes when breaking through. I was very impressed with how it cut right through and faster than a 43cc gas auger the last time I was out. This electric I bought is way more powerful than my old Jiffy 30. Also no gas fumes in my truck box under my tonneau cover. I have also carried it in my Cab with no concerns of odors or spills. Dogfish
Old 02-09-2019, 10:24 AM

Thanks for the review. I am looking to upgrade my gas job as I want to use my Jeep for ice fishing instead of my truck. It’s a pain to strap the gas job on the outside.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGFISH View Post
Nice review Brandon, quick question about the Strikemaster. Does it always catch just before going through the ice at the bottom of the hole? I bought a 8" trophy strike and I have not had it get stuck yet in 40+ holes when breaking through. I was very impressed with how it cut right through and faster than a 43cc gas auger the last time I was out. This electric I bought is way more powerful than my old Jiffy 30. Also no gas fumes in my truck box under my tonneau cover. I have also carried it in my Cab with no concerns of odors or spills. Dogfish
No, maybe 1 in 10 holes or less even. Even if it does it stops immediately and is easy to continue like Brandon has shown.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:48 AM

that stop and pausing issue happens to me on my propane jiffy every once in a while too

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 02-09-2019, 11:08 AM

Awesome guys, thanks. I have yet to have the Trophy Strike pause going through the ice. Not a deal breaker for sure. I will probably not go back to gas with the recent advancements in electric. I did not want to buy one of the first ones out and that's why I waited to buy.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:59 PM

I bought my electric strikemaster last year. Just love it. No bad comments with close to two full winters of use. PS. I picked up a spare battery that I really didn’t need but for 100$ at Cabelas a month a go. Could not go wrong
Old 02-09-2019, 03:31 PM

can you use the new bigger battery on the older ion augers?
Old 02-09-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujo1969 View Post
I don’t think so but call the fishing hole. They will know.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:57 PM

I'm still not sold on electric
Have you tested a propane?
Love my eskimo.... spare 1 lb propane costs me pennies vs a $200 spare battery.
A 1 lb propane bottle will drill more holes than I can count.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:05 PM

I hate my jiffy propane, runs like crap in -45, what feels like hundreds of pounds after a short hike with it. Requires two hands to carry around just to drill 10 holes. Electric I can carry with one hand and carry a rod and flasher in the other.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 02-10-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujo1969 View Post
If you’re talking about the new Ion battery you can definitely use it on a old Ion auger
Old 02-10-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
I'm still not sold on electric
Have you tested a propane?
Love my eskimo.... spare 1 lb propane costs me pennies vs a $200 spare battery.
A 1 lb propane bottle will drill more holes than I can count.
Yes I have. My son has one at the fishing shack. Nothing wrong with it other than it stinks and is loud as hell. Cuts good, starts good, not saying throw out a good auger to buy a new one. My old Jiffy was 30+ years old and tired. Was time for a new one and $500 is not bad even if it only last 15 years. I am able to carry it in the cab or store it it the house for security reasons. Each to their own. So far I do not think I will need a spare battery as it has not dropped more than one bar on the indicator during a trip. I bring the charger just in case but have not needed it yet. The guys were not sure about the electric until it drilled the holes in the shack now they are believers in the instant torque and no warm up period.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:03 PM

Cut about 25 holes, 10 inch holes today in 22 inches of solid ice in -32 to -26 temps. One tick down on the battery
Solid, solid unit.

Now it is in the tub getting the ice melted off. No mess!
Old 02-10-2019, 09:38 PM

I have an power inverter I carry in my truck,i haven't bought this auger ,but with a good inverter you should be able to recharge while out fishing.I will google an let you guys know.If someone has that setup let me know the charge up time please.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:25 PM

Excellent thread, tks fellas for taking the effort to share your experiences. When my Model 30 decides it want's to retire, I will be investing in this 10" unit ... wish they made a 12" then I'd get one when I get home.

Stay warm fellas!

D.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
I have an power inverter I carry in my truck,i haven't bought this auger ,but with a good inverter you should be able to recharge while out fishing.I will google an let you guys know.If someone has that setup let me know the charge up time please.

"Charges 120V Trophy Strike Lithium Ion Batteries (2.0Ah and 3.0Ah). This charger can be used with an input voltage of 100-250V and an AC frequency of 50-60Hz. Plugs into a 120V AC outlet (normal household voltage). Features an LED light that indicates the operating status and the state of charge of the battery. Charging is simple – you simply slide the battering into place until it locks in and the LED will flash green showing the battery is charging – once the battery is fully charged, the LED indicator will show a steady green light. Lithium Ion batteries are an excellent choice as they have no memory effect therefore a partial charge will not damage your battery. The charger is wall mountable for convenient storage. Charging time: 100 minutes/2.0Ah battery, 150 minutes/3.0Ah battery. 120 volts."
Old 02-11-2019, 08:48 AM

Nice report what I'm waiting for is how do they drill in 4 feet of ice like in the Northern parts of our provinces where I fish, anyone have any reports heading to Manitoba in a couple weeks was told to bring a 2ft extension thanks.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:24 PM

Honest unbiased review here, my buddy picked up the 8" IonX and its a dream. Cuts through faster than most gas augers with no smell, no fiddling with gas or choke. the reverse feature is handy as well. we were re-drilling hoes inside our shack and no fumes, no mess. I honestly think they are awesome.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Nice report what I'm waiting for is how do they drill in 4 feet of ice like in the Northern parts of our provinces where I fish, anyone have any reports heading to Manitoba in a couple weeks was told to bring a 2ft extension thanks.
Aaron Weibe from Uncut Angling based out of MB uses the 10 inch strikemaster Lithium now. He had no trouble cutting through 4 ft of ice anytime of year. Thickness is not an issue with this auger.

The only concern would be a multi-day trip with no power at the end of the day. If you can't recharge then you may eventually run out with 1 or 2 batteries. But, you will drill one hell of lot of holes!!
Old 02-11-2019, 03:22 PM

Jiffy is in the battery powered game now. $471 USD on sale at Cabelas.com (US site)

https://www.cabelas.com/product/JIFF...5.uts?slotId=2
Old 02-11-2019, 10:28 PM

That looks, sounds and cuts great! I have a perfectly fine strike master lazer pro but got a few gift cards for Christmas and bought a pistol bit to try out the electric business .

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 02-11-2019, 11:05 PM

Default ice

Did a lot of fishing but never have ice fished
Old 02-12-2019, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Aaron Weibe from Uncut Angling based out of MB uses the 10 inch strikemaster Lithium now. He had no trouble cutting through 4 ft of ice anytime of year. Thickness is not an issue with this auger.

The only concern would be a multi-day trip with no power at the end of the day. If you can't recharge then you may eventually run out with 1 or 2 batteries. But, you will drill one hell of lot of holes!!
4 ft of ice , with a 10 inch
That must be one hell'va auger , must have lots of power compared to the ION X
I have the Ion X in a 8 inch , and I can honestly say at 4 ft of ice , that is a workout on a electric auger ,
I've been to the lakes in Winnipeg, way up north to some lakes in Saskatchewan,
Some of the toughest thickest ice going

My understanding is , the strikemaster is good for 450 inches of ice to a battery , so at 4 ft of ice , that's like 10 holes befor your battery's is dead

This is the trouble with electric augers , we live in the cold north ,
I've had em all , gas , propane jiffy in a 10 inch , the Ion X

I love the electrics , but I just bought a new Eskimo P1 Rocket in Propane as a back up auger , why
Because the electrics don't have the balls or guts to do a fishing trip with a few guys , let alone 1 guy for a couple days

They great in the shack as no fume , if you only going to drill a few holes

But if you have deep ice , lots of holes and want a 10 inch ,in my opinion then I think propans still the best auger to own ,
Old 02-12-2019, 01:32 AM
Banned

I used this auger the winter of 2017 it cuts ice like butter. I cut 24 holes in two feet of ice before the battery went dead. it is light and just does a monster of a job for you.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch_m View Post
4 ft of ice , with a 10 inch
That must be one hell'va auger , must have lots of power compared to the ION X
I have the Ion X in a 8 inch , and I can honestly say at 4 ft of ice , that is a workout on a electric auger ,
I've been to the lakes in Winnipeg, way up north to some lakes in Saskatchewan,
Some of the toughest thickest ice going

My understanding is , the strikemaster is good for 450 inches of ice to a battery , so at 4 ft of ice , that's like 10 holes befor your battery's is dead

This is the trouble with electric augers , we live in the cold north ,
I've had em all , gas , propane jiffy in a 10 inch , the Ion X

I love the electrics , but I just bought a new Eskimo P1 Rocket in Propane as a back up auger , why
Because the electrics don't have the balls or guts to do a fishing trip with a few guys , let alone 1 guy for a couple days

They great in the shack as no fume , if you only going to drill a few holes

But if you have deep ice , lots of holes and want a 10 inch ,in my opinion then I think propans still the best auger to own ,
Thanks that's what I'm looking for I do follow Aaron wiebe and he only usually drills a couple holes and sits in his tent I guess I'll keep my 10-inch jiffy for now.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Thanks that's what I'm looking for I do follow Aaron wiebe and he only usually drills a couple holes and sits in his tent I guess I'll keep my 10-inch jiffy for now.
Uncut angling usually drills a ton of holes and finds where to set up first. I have always been under the impression that he drills a ton of holes from watching his videos.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief16 View Post
Uncut angling usually drills a ton of holes and finds where to set up first. I have always been under the impression that he drills a ton of holes from watching his videos.
I'm still going to stay with my Jiffy gas till I see em work maybe someone will have one on my trip to Manitoba this March and April.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:04 AM

I'm sold and this is the auger I will be getting. I don't have a place to store gasoline at home, and propane is to heavy. This auger would suit my style of fishing to a tee!

BW