Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-08-2019, 10:24 PM

Default Electric Ice Auger Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6ga6NNSse4

Ok so we bought this ice Auger and I am under no sort of arrangement with Rapala or Strikemaster at the time. What you see is what you get and my absolutely shocked and honest opinion of this new electric ice auger. I really was hesitant about the products and still the only thing I can see that may be an issue is the battery life. But if you have spare batteries it is like having extra gas, so drill away. At some point I'll to a max hole drill test.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 02-09-2019, 07:17 AM

Agree on the auger. Was that an 8 or 10? I have the 10 and it cuts really well. So nice to put in the pull sled with no gas or mess
Old 02-09-2019, 10:12 AM

Nice review Brandon, quick question about the Strikemaster. Does it always catch just before going through the ice at the bottom of the hole? I bought a 8" trophy strike and I have not had it get stuck yet in 40+ holes when breaking through. I was very impressed with how it cut right through and faster than a 43cc gas auger the last time I was out. This electric I bought is way more powerful than my old Jiffy 30. Also no gas fumes in my truck box under my tonneau cover. I have also carried it in my Cab with no concerns of odors or spills. Dogfish
Old 02-09-2019, 10:24 AM

Thanks for the review. I am looking to upgrade my gas job as I want to use my Jeep for ice fishing instead of my truck. It’s a pain to strap the gas job on the outside.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGFISH View Post
Nice review Brandon, quick question about the Strikemaster. Does it always catch just before going through the ice at the bottom of the hole? I bought a 8" trophy strike and I have not had it get stuck yet in 40+ holes when breaking through. I was very impressed with how it cut right through and faster than a 43cc gas auger the last time I was out. This electric I bought is way more powerful than my old Jiffy 30. Also no gas fumes in my truck box under my tonneau cover. I have also carried it in my Cab with no concerns of odors or spills. Dogfish
No, maybe 1 in 10 holes or less even. Even if it does it stops immediately and is easy to continue like Brandon has shown.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:48 AM

that stop and pausing issue happens to me on my propane jiffy every once in a while too

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 02-09-2019, 11:08 AM

Awesome guys, thanks. I have yet to have the Trophy Strike pause going through the ice. Not a deal breaker for sure. I will probably not go back to gas with the recent advancements in electric. I did not want to buy one of the first ones out and that's why I waited to buy.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:04 AM

I'm sold and this is the auger I will be getting. I don't have a place to store gasoline at home, and propane is to heavy. This auger would suit my style of fishing to a tee!

BW
Old 02-12-2019, 10:10 AM

Just found this on Aaron wiebe Twitter section don't know how to post the video anyway I'll be looking for one of these if I can find one with the two battery deal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190212-100352_Chrome.jpg (65.6 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190212-100400_Chrome.jpg (66.4 KB, 66 views)
Old 02-12-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Just found this on Aaron wiebe Twitter section don't know how to post the video anyway I'll be looking for one of these if I can find one with the two battery deal
There you go. Thanks for the post.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:02 AM

I've owned my Original model Ion for going on 4 season's now absolutely love it being a taller guy I installed the extension and leave it on as I found the auger a touch short to operate without it. I like that I'm able to quickly open old holes if I'm searching for perch or drill whatever holes I need to. I always have a spare battery in the insulated ION bag. You are SOL if it does Die so I typically adjust my tactics based on what I'm chasing.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:58 PM

Default 10 inch

so just got the 10 inch strikemaster was debating on an extra battery but at 259$ pop do i need it? i like holes? bringing my gas with me to cold lake just in case but how many holes per battery?? wish they were still 100$ like one of the posts on here lol 40 volt 259$ thats chunk.......
Old 02-14-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8tbigkid View Post
so just got the 10 inch strikemaster was debating on an extra battery but at 259$ pop do i need it? i like holes? bringing my gas with me to cold lake just in case but how many holes per battery?? wish they were still 100$ like one of the posts on here lol 40 volt 259$ thats chunk.......
Yea it was so cheap at cabelas last month i wanted to buy some but then i thought about it, maybe i shouldnt cuz i dont even have a strikemaster lol

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 02-14-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8tbigkid View Post
I haven't used my 2nd one yet. It's still in the original plastic bag out of the box. I just charge up the main one when I get home.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:35 PM

So my good friend bought a ION a few weeks ago and sold his Eskimo Z71. He says it’s slower than his Eskimo but way easier to manage. He said his Eskimo blades aren’t quite the same, the hole spacing is not quite the same.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old dog View Post
So my good friend bought a ION a few weeks ago and sold his Eskimo Z71. He says it’s slower than his Eskimo but way easier to manage. He said his Eskimo blades aren’t quite the same, the hole spacing is not quite the same.
Thanks for info
I'll still see how my Z71 blades line up sometime.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:53 AM

Got out with the Ion X this am.
Few observations
Love not pulling.
Ion is definitely slower than the Z71,and seems to be having an issue part way thru hole...and doesnt want to cut.
I seem to need to put a fair bit of pressure on it to cut,which is odd.
Play around with it a bit.
20 holes or so and still 3 bars on battery...so battery life will not be an issue for me
Old 02-28-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatter View Post
Few observations
Love not pulling.
Ion is definitely slower than the Z71,and seems to be having an issue part way thru hole...and doesnt want to cut.
20 holes or so and still 3 bars on battery...so battery life will not be an issue for me
Thanks for the update. That slowing issue is why I picked up a Strikemaster over the Ion. It was noticeable in auger wars as well. I can say that I do not have that issue with SM. Even in 30 inches of ice there was no hesitation. Either way, both of the advantage of instant power
Old 03-01-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatter View Post
Few observations
Love not pulling.
Heads up on the pushing hard. I was watching some utube video comparisons last week and reviewer was saying that pushing hard can really foul up the augers quickly and that they were designed for just light downward pressure.
For those waiting for their gas augers to conk out before buying an electric you better hope its not like my old Jiffy, 37 yrs and still starts on second pull and runs like a charm... Im still waiting...
Old 02-16-2019, 12:19 PM

Can we get back on the rails please. I have been following from the beginning and for my own reasons would like to go electric and probably between ion x and strikemaster 40V. Just about pulled the trigger at Cabela’s sale yesterday when I saw all the plastic on the strikemaster. Let’s say it concerns me. I have used my friends ion x this season up to 20” of ice. Will it really bog down with another foot of ice? Guess I could wait and see to the end of season how it works out. Also when does fishin hole have their spring sale?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2019, 12:51 PM

Default Auger

I have the Ion Auger, and will never go back to gas ,or bother with propane augers. I don’t fish in extreme cold, and have never had to drill much more than 2 ft. Of ice. It suits my needs very well. Others, may have different needs, for an auger. Buy what suits your needs, or purpose, they all work well.Not sure why people need to turn every thread into an argument.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Setter View Post
Can we get back on the rails please. I have been following from the beginning and for my own reasons would like to go electric and probably between ion x and strikemaster 40V. Just about pulled the trigger at Cabela’s sale yesterday when I saw all the plastic on the strikemaster. Let’s say it concerns me. I have used my friends ion x this season up to 20” of ice. Will it really bog down with another foot of ice? Guess I could wait and see to the end of season how it works out. Also when does fishin hole have their spring sale?

I recommend the SM Lithium. I'm not to gentle with mine in the back of the truck and in -30 and lower temps. No issues. How does your friend's Ion handle 20 inches?

I'm not worried about it for the SM Lithium. I'll be using it to the end of March and I'm sure I will get to at least 30 inches of ice this year. Calling, Pigeon, Sylvan, etc. I'll report back at the end of the season.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:40 PM

Jay Siemens just did a product review on this auger If someone knows how to get that video on here thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190216-163824_YouTube.jpg (30.1 KB, 34 views)
Old 02-16-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Jay Siemens just did a product review on this auger If someone knows how to get that video on here thanks
Here you go:

https://youtu.be/siyfl58LtyY

Cool vid!
Old 02-16-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Here you go:

Cool vid!
Thanks
Old 02-16-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Here you go:

Cool vid!
Interesting ,
Pretty well sums it all up , don't it ,
16 inches of ice , full charge battery , did 61 holes and battery dead , had enough to do one more hole , so 62
62 x16 of solid ice is 992 ft of ice

992 ft , now take ice at 4 ft or 48 inches =20 holes , let's not forget the bigger point , that his was a 8 inch auger, not a 10 inch , would be even less holes with a 10 , that's why I said 17 holes

That's a long long way from being able to drill all day , now that's the truth

Good to see the other video of which is the fastest in the electric world , I already knew the strikemaster was faster , be nice to see just how good the new jiffy electric is

I'll see if I can find the video of the plastic handle busting on the strikemaster in the cold , the ION X handle is steel 😋

No perfect auger for all situations, get yourself a couple
Old 02-16-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Setter View Post

Just in case you care about speed when making your choice:

https://youtu.be/gPX9HHjv5Xc
Old 02-17-2019, 07:06 AM

Never have seen the new strikemaster electric but if the handles are made of the same on the strikemaster lazer pro then they are very durable. Even in really cold weather they hold up just fine. Maybe if you took a sledge hammer to it in -30 it would break just like every other auger but mines held up since 2010.

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 02-16-2019, 06:21 PM

No doubt it’s fast

Old 03-02-2019, 08:32 PM

Wow forgot about where o posted this one. Looks like it was a good conversation starter for once. I took the auger out in bc where ice ranges from 8 to 14 inch think and fished three lakes one day. Drilled 50 holes and only one light down on the first battery. Very happy with this thing. Headed to Cascade lake tomorrow and will put it to the test down there some more.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures