Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-22-2014, 09:20 PM

Default Muir or Chickakoo?

I'm just starting fly fishing. I so far been skunked at Hermitage and Cardiff. Was planning to hit somewhere else tomorrow. Which one would be the better one from shore? Or the better chance of success? Maybe even East Pit?

Cheers
Old 05-22-2014, 09:43 PM

Get yourself a boat of some sort, you will not regret it. Fishing around Edmonton is 10 times better with some sort of boat.

Muir might have a little more room to cast from shore but don't usually see many guys catching that many. Chickakoo probably has more fish but will all be small new stock.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:48 PM

Thanks. I do have a boat, but it's a 18 footer. Might be a bit big for the potholes lakes lol. I'm not looking for anything big right now. Just one at the end of the rod.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:25 AM

You have a boat but do you have waders? East Pit can be fun when you are away from shore 10-15 feet. Even without waders it is usually worth a trip.
I was at Muir on opening day and it did not look like there was too much shoreline to cast from. There is a spot if you walk through the forest for a few minutes. I also tried Chickakoo on the weekend with no results. At the moment there is enough space to cast from the shore if you do some walking.
If you go back to Hermitage try a bead head prince nymph under an indicator if you have one. I had some luck with it the fees times I went out before work. There is a little bay between the two parking areas that works for me . The north end of this "bay" seems to be best. Latter in the year when the weeds get thick here you can catch them on the edge of the weeds about ten feet out.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:58 AM

I been out nearly every day after work and o the weekend ... at chickakoo I was getting them on a mosquito and a mayfly at dusk ...muir is alright but its the smaller ones that are more willing to bite ... but if your on a boat id bet my last dollar some gooders can be had ...at muir ...a balanced leach 2 ft under an indicator and a hollywood leach ... also had a taker on a tiny green minnow ... hermitage is easy .any leach will do or an adams ...mayfly...mosquito ... just gotta get it out there to em its a good 50 ft to where they hang out on the south side of the pond ... the dock is good too if its not crowded ....hope that helps ...also saur seems to be lively but I didnt drop a line in there yet ...or try star lake I never hear of anyone fishing there and it looks nice ...east pit I had luck on my leach nothing of size tho.. hope that helps ... oh 12 ft leader with about two ft 4x tippet good luck ...do us a favour and let us know how you do
Old 05-25-2014, 04:40 PM

Default Beaumont Pond??

If you are a beginner you could try Beaumont Pond as there is ample backcast room. Only thing, the pond is now part of the local park and surrounded by paved paths which are quite busy with people in the evening. Also the pond is close to the high school & during the year at times they use the pond for canoeing during school hours.