Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-19-2014, 09:03 AM

Default Goldeye on NSR/WMC

Hello Everyone,
Last night we tried the mouth of WMC looking for goldeyes. We were under and around campbell bridge using a combination of stimulators and hoppers but didn't get any bites, even through we saw a few fish taking things off of the surface. Has anyone had any luck there this year, is there something we should be doing different in terms of presentation etc. Neither of us have ever fished for goldeye, from looking at the forum it looks like a slightly different technique than trout, any additional suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
Old 05-19-2014, 09:19 AM

Hey Mbspence we had some luck right at the mouth of the WMC with just simple worms and a multi hook rig with swivels and a nice weight at the bottom. I saw a guy across from me using some sort of jig as well get one or two.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:50 AM

This time of year is generally too early for dries. What I'd do is use a slow sink polyleader and a size 6 streamer (dark colours like black or purple), and slowly strip it. The water's still coloured up so you'll have to do a bit of work to find what retrieve and patterns work.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:45 PM

That's great... thanks! I will give that a try. I'm hoping to find a place where two hours is enough to get some bites without a lot of driving in the evenings...
Old 05-19-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbspence View Post
Hello Everyone,
Last night we tried the mouth of WMC looking for goldeyes. We were under and around campbell bridge using a combination of stimulators and hoppers but didn't get any bites, even through we saw a few fish taking things off of the surface. Has anyone had any luck there this year, is there something we should be doing different in terms of presentation etc. Neither of us have ever fished for goldeye, from looking at the forum it looks like a slightly different technique than trout, any additional suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
I was out yesterday too and the surface goldeye were hitting a big silver mepps spinner for me retrieved high in the water.
Also, my friend caught a few with worms on a pickeral rig towards dark. He also caught the smallest lingcod I have ever seen. Would have been cute in a fishtank. About 4 inches long. I caught a crayfish by hand too. Let it go. Interesting creatures.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:34 PM

Try a sjw or egg sucking leech, or small silver streamer of whatever variety you have. Wet flys with a white or cream body/dark rib also work well.

Goldeye are pretty aggressive, don't be afraid of stripping a streamer pretty quickly through a run or pool.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:13 AM

Does anyone here have any recommendations other than the WMC for good/fairly easily accessible locations for catching Goldeye within city limits? It would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton magnet View Post
Does anyone here have any recommendations other than the WMC for good/fairly easily accessible locations for catching Goldeye within city limits? It would be greatly appreciated.
Honestly later in the season goldeye are ubiquitous throughout the river and you can catch them just about anywhere. And if goldeye arent there, mooneye are. The bases of bridge structures are a good place to start. Also the rocky shoreline below the Shaw Conference Centre.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton magnet View Post
Really any creek mouth will have some. Deep runs and pools especially with large boulders are excellent, as are significant current seams. Just gotta get out there.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:32 AM

great - thanks guys