Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: What do you use on the river/streams?
Fly vest 39 49.37%
Chest Pack 19 24.05%
Hip pack 14 17.72%
Sling pack 7 8.86%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-08-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky View Post
Any one used the Filson strap vest?

(http://www.filson.com/products/fly-f...taProduct=aa13).
Looks study and quite minimal, but quite expensive...
I think i have one kicking around somewhere. Dont use it anymore though. Didnt hold enough for me.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
I think i have one kicking around somewhere. Dont use it anymore though. Didnt hold enough for me.
I've been looking at them for a bit, it seems like a nice compact vest which is exactly what i've been looking for (just can't justify the cost at the moment..). I usually just use a back pack when i need to carry more than a small vest takes.
(If you're not using it and want to sell it pm me please! )
Old 01-10-2014, 06:36 PM

Hey guys,

i ended up getting a Simms chest pack for christmas. Going to try it out and see how it goes. Looks nice, plus the pack is apparently water proof
Old 01-14-2014, 02:17 PM

I've got the Simms Headwater day Pack that I use when I'm hiking, and I use the headwater Chest pack that attaches onto the shoulder straps of the Headwater Day Pack. Fantastic when I go winter steelheading, stripping off layers or adding layers without interfering with my fishing tackle.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:58 PM
Banned

Over the years I finally settled on a tactical arms type of backpack.
It has plenty of separate compartments on the straps for easy access and enough room in the back pouch for a days outting.

I just love it.

But my salmon fishing vest is my main vest.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:04 PM

I've helped a friend of mine out guiding a couple years now and the first year I wore my vest. Great vest, lots of capacity, but combine that with a backpack and 8+ hours on the river in the middle of summer meant a whole lot of sweat.

The next time he asked me to help him out I went and found a chest pack. It's White River from Bass Pro. Nothing overly special, but it has enough pockets to do what I need it to. My vest hasn't been out of the closet since.

My buddy, the guide, uses a hip pack to carry his fly boxes, tippet, leaders, flotant, etc. in, and has a few extras in his backpack. Most days he just hits the water with his hip pack when he's actually fishing for himself.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky View Post
Any one used the Filson strap vest?

(http://www.filson.com/products/fly-f...taProduct=aa13).
Looks study and quite minimal, but quite expensive...
I've been using one for as long as I can remember, and I love them. In fact, when heavy fishing, sweat (=salt) and countless trips down bushy trails finally caused a wear-through spot in the back of it, I called them and asked for some material to patch it with. They told me to send it back and they'd repair/replace it. About 2 weeks later, a new vest showed up! They're excellent, stay out of the way, easy to layer under, will fit a tank of a guy like me if req., etc. If there is one drawback~you need to balance the weight (back to front) a little or I find it rides-up a little on you. In this photo, most of my gear (including water) was in the back, so, if you can see behind that big steelhead ..you'll see what I mean. Can't ever see using anything else.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:09 AM

I use a fishpond double hauler with out the back pack which ive switched out for a larger boarding pack that can haul food and drinks and gear for a famiky of 4 people and 3 dogs for a day or overnight trip. Stilk comfortable to wear, this is tue same pack I use when back country snowboarding or hiking.