Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-19-2014, 09:44 AM

Default spruce coulee and bullshead this weekend

Was a great weekend out. Weather was better than what the forecast had predicted. However I think the pressure change is what made fishing tough.

We were at bullshead from 10:00 a.m. till 2:30p.m. on saturday. I only landed one rainbow about 14". Caught it on a black bugger.

Spent all day sunday on spruce coulee. Fishing was very slow there too. Caught 2 brook trout. First one broke my line as I was trying to net it. I would have guessed it was about 16".
Second one was caught on a black leach.
Not sure how to post pictures from my phone. But if I can email to someone I that wouldn't mind, I have a pic of the second brook trout.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:04 AM

Soon2flypat, were you the fella in the maroon colored pontoon that I spoke with? I was in the blue fish cat with the funky looking hat.

Spruce for me yesterday was a skunk. I wish I would have had my sonar ready as it seems like there's very few fish in that lake. I tried a little of everything I could think of, including the well known leeches and buggers, but to no avail. Even at about 8 p.m. when the lake went to glass there was zero surface activity. It's very different than in years past. When I got home last night a checked the 2014 stocking program list and Spruce Coulee is not on it. So I really don't know what's going on with Spruce this year. Did the truck load of grayling they dumped in it last year mess something up? I dunno? I probably won't go back until I hear some positive reports.

Now for Bullshead. My buds and I were there on Saturday as well. I had the best day I've had out there this year. I was hammering them on a black chroni with a chrome top, and not little fellas either. I lost count but I managed at least 15 to net and all were in that 18"-22" range and fat. Also got 2 to net that were true "fatties", one at 25" and another at 26". These things were footballs! There had also been a massive choni hatch as they were absolutely everywhere. I even watched several hatch on the water right in front of me, dry off, and fly away. Then once my feet got too cold toward evening I shored up, got changed and fished from shore on the pond side. I tried a bead head scud. First cast and bam, there was another fatty. But he looked weird. His belly was unusually thick, like he had swallowed a softball or something. The action continued for a while, started catching smaller ones, then I called it a day.
I'm sorry that your Bullshead day wasn't better, but at least you didn't get skunked at Spruce
Old 05-19-2014, 06:50 PM

Yeah that was me in the maroon pontoon. Wish I would have tried a little harder at bullshead. Oh well. I thought the wind was coming up so I got out of there.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:49 AM

Hahaha, I was there all weekend at Bullshead. I arrived on Friday and left Sunday afternoon. And Shawn, I talked to some guy who said he knew you...I think he said he went to school with you and is a member of this page.
I had a black DC hat on...I fished in a pontoon Sat morning but I was fishing from the shore by afternoon.

I only landed a dozen Saturday mostly on black leeches. Then on Sunday I think I landed 9. Sad thing is, I was having a better day than most people there. I heard plenty of people saying they only caught one. There was a lot of wind and I noticed the weeds haven't started to grow in yet so I think that was playing a factor. It was the slowest fishing I've ever had at Bullshead but still beat the hell out of sitting in the city doing nothing or, worse yet, working! I guess if im not landing 30 to 50 a day there, like I have in the past, I'm not completely satisfied hahahah!

Did you guys have any luck on spruce? I was going to hit it but didn't get around to it! (nevermind, I see you said you caught 2)

Last edited by Calgaryguy1977; 05-20-2014 at 06:59 AM.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:55 PM

Bullshead was hit and miss until I anchored down and stuck the chroni on. First along the north east side, landed a few there. But then I hid out of the wind, can't say exactly where, that'd be silly. The number of hits and fish to net changed quickly after that, and ended up being an awesome day at the lake.

Last edited by Shawnlh; 05-20-2014 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:13 PM

Default bullshead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgaryguy1977 View Post
Hahaha, I was there all weekend at Bullshead. I arrived on Friday and left Sunday afternoon. And Shawn, I talked to some guy who said he knew you...I think he said he went to school with you and is a member of this page.
I had a black DC hat on...I fished in a pontoon Sat morning but I was fishing from the shore by afternoon.

I only landed a dozen Saturday mostly on black leeches. Then on Sunday I think I landed 9. Sad thing is, I was having a better day than most people there. I heard plenty of people saying they only caught one. There was a lot of wind and I noticed the weeds haven't started to grow in yet so I think that was playing a factor. It was the slowest fishing I've ever had at Bullshead but still beat the hell out of sitting in the city doing nothing or, worse yet, working! I guess if im not landing 30 to 50 a day there, like I have in the past, I'm not completely satisfied hahahah!

Did you guys have any luck on spruce? I was going to hit it but didn't get around to it! (nevermind, I see you said you caught 2)
hey calgary guy. was nice to meet you at bullshead on sunday. gonna head out there tomorrow and hopefully get a good chrony hatch. supposed to be warm so might be good
Old 05-21-2014, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportster View Post
hey calgary guy. was nice to meet you at bullshead on sunday. gonna head out there tomorrow and hopefully get a good chrony hatch. supposed to be warm so might be good
You too buddy! I'll be doing this Kananaskis thing this week for sure!
Tight lines man!
Cheers,
Bill
Old 05-21-2014, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnlh View Post
Bullshead was hit and miss until I anchored down and stuck the chroni on. First along the north east side, landed a few there. But then I hid out of the wind, can't say exactly where, that'd be silly. The number of hits and fish to net changed quickly after that, and ended up being an awesome day at the lake.
I know exactally where you mean, I think I may have been in that area over th weekend as well. On Friday to be exact. lol
Old 05-22-2014, 03:44 PM

Sportster, did you get back to Bullshead yesterday?

And how come I didn't run into you on Saturday? Your not an easy guy to miss.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnlh View Post
Sportster, did you get back to Bullshead yesterday?

And how come I didn't run into you on Saturday? Your not an easy guy to miss.
He was talking to me all day at the "causeway" hahahahha