Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-06-2014, 01:42 PM

Default Best 8wt fly reel under 100$

Hey all,

I am looking to get a new reel for my 8wt rod and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations as to the best reel for the buck?

Thanks,
Old 05-06-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotep View Post
Hey all,

I am looking to get a new reel for my 8wt rod and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations as to the best reel for the buck?

Thanks,
I'd have a look at the echo ion.good reviews and $100ea $45 for spare spool.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:21 PM

Okuma SLV

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-06-2014, 03:31 PM

I would suggest that whatever reel you decide on, make sure it's Salt Water compatible. An 8 wt is a great addition to a warm water vacation!!

-Confucius
Old 05-06-2014, 06:19 PM
Banned

Default Old School!!

Pfleuger Medalists RC(rim control) reels landed a few million salmon before long before Sage,Loop,Galvan,Hatch(insert favorite high $$ brand here) were ever born.
.....they (PMs)and many other reels are a dime a dozen on eBay.
If you like the sound and timeless class of old click/pawl UK built reels,there's always lotsa JW Youngs for grabs at a fraction of the cost of a similar Hardy.

There's some wicked deals on modern stuff as well on UK web stores,Harris Sportsmail ,Tacklebargains.com to name a couple.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:37 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
Pfleuger Medalists RC(rim control) reels landed a few million salmon before long before Sage,Loop,Galvan,Hatch(insert favorite high $$ brand here) were ever born.
.....they (PMs)and many other reels are a dime a dozen on eBay.
If you like the sound and timeless class of old click/pawl UK built reels,there's always lotsa JW Youngs for grabs at a fraction of the cost of a similar Hardy.

There's some wicked deals on modern stuff as well on UK web stores,Harris Sportsmail ,Tacklebargains.com to name a couple.
Yep that and pawn shops . Just picked up nst series 1 with a cortland 444 wf3 30 $ woohoo for pawn shop.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:38 PM

find a used Lamson konic

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 05-06-2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
I would suggest that whatever reel you decide on, make sure it's Salt Water compatible. An 8 wt is a great addition to a warm water vacation!!
good advice. That's actually all I've used my 8wt for so far LOL. BUT, given that you want salt water compatible and it's also going to be handling bigger fish (putting more demands on drag, etc.) I'd go cheap on a lighter weight reel before I would on an 8wt or better.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
good advice. That's actually all I've used my 8wt for so far LOL. BUT, given that you want salt water compatible and it's also going to be handling bigger fish (putting more demands on drag, etc.) I'd go cheap on a lighter weight reel before I would on an 8wt or better.
I agree with the Green B******. If you put a half decent reel on your 8wt, you can then go use it for salt, Pike, even salmon or steelhead. In the long run, you'll probably want to upgrade it anyway.

here's a list of "cheap" reels that'll still get the job done on them bigguns:

Lamson Konic

Sage 2200

Allen alpha III

Greys GX700 (although I'm not sure that one's salt compatible)

Redington Rise

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 05-07-2014, 11:25 AM
Banned

I wouldn't be too concerned with a reel being "salt compatable" really.For one,I've "abused" reels in the salt for years that were no worse for wear,and I'm a slacker,never rinsed them or took any special precautions,rode'em hard and put away wet.
Second,most Albertans likely spend a week or less/year fishing the salt.....keep it oiled/rinse it good with fresh water if you're that concerned over a high $$ reel,other then that,all this salt water BS is just nonsense imho for the average casual/annual salt vacationer.May be a legit concern for a tarpon/bonefish guide or any other coastal resident that actually spends a significant amount of time on the big blue,but for the rest of us,salt compatable is more of a marketing ploy by the rod/reel makers then anything else.FWIW,salt reels demand just as much attention internally to rinsing/oiling etc,they are NOT bulletproof,it's called stainless steel,NOT stain never steel...

Last edited by grinr; 05-07-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
I wouldn't be too concerned with a reel being "salt compatable" really.For one,I've "abused" reels in the salt for years that were no worse for wear,and I'm a slacker,never rinsed them or took any special precautions,rode'em hard and put away wet.
Second,most Albertans likely spend a week or less/year fishing the salt.....keep it oiled/rinse it good with fresh water if you're that concerned over a high $$ reel,other then that,all this salt water BS is just nonsense imho for the average casual/annual salt vacationer.May be a legit concern for a tarpon/bonefish guide or any other coastal resident that actually spends a significant amount of time on the big blue,but for the rest of us,salt compatable is more of a marketing ploy by the rod/reel makers then anything else.FWIW,salt reels demand just as much attention internally to rinsing/oiling etc,they are NOT bulletproof,it's called stainless steel,NOT stain never steel...

Stainless steel reel would be a tank,,, stainless steel screws would be nice,, but anodized aluminum for the reel body please. It is surprising how many so called saltwater reels do not use stainless steel screws.

At any rate, the best way to stop corrosion is to keep your reels from getting a full immersion baptism in the salt!!!!

Last edited by Pikebreath; 05-10-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
Stainless steel reel would be a tank,,, stainless steel screws would be nice,, but anodized aluminum for the reel body please. It is surprising how many so called saltwater reels do not use stainless steel screws.

At any rate, the best way to stop corrosion is to keep your reels from getting a full immersion baptism in the salt!!!!
That is in fact what I meant,stainless screws,gears,pawls,guts etc.,obviously not frames and spools.
Point being though,the industry markets "saltwater" rods and reels,knowing full well that flyfishers gobble it up at inflated prices being as we are an excessively consumptive market that will buy all sorts of chit that we really don't need.They do a great job of convincing us that we "must have" the latest gizmos and widgets to be successful,or often as not just to make a streamside fashion statement....fine example,I've likely caught more trout as a youngster wet wading in sneakers and jeans or in my first $29 pair of hip waders then I ever will for the rest of my life in a pair of $800 Simms.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:29 AM
Banned

Thanks for the suggestion; I'm also looking for something new (not used lol)