Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-07-2022, 08:13 PM

Default Wildlife activity time

Hey guys, when you are planning on going coyote hunting, do you pay any attention to the Solunar times of wildlife activity? I never did in the past but the last few times it was spot on…..
Old 02-07-2022, 09:45 PM
Banned

solunar what? that got something to do with your sister?
Old 02-07-2022, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Hey guys, when you are planning on going coyote hunting, do you pay any attention to the Solunar times of wildlife activity? I never did in the past but the last few times it was spot on…..
I hunt coyotes and wolves when I can, and only hope for cold weather as I have found that to be the number one advantage. All the other factors might have some influence, but if we only hunt when one factor says it should be good, there will be other factors that are not ideal. The most successful hunters hunt as much as they can, when ever they can and appreciate the optimal conditions when they align. Just get out there and prove the doubters wrong. It's all fun anyway.
Old 02-07-2022, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
solunar what? that got something to do with your sister?
And you are how old?
Old 02-07-2022, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry D View Post
I hunt coyotes and wolves when I can, and only hope for cold weather as I have found that to be the number one advantage. All the other factors might have some influence, but if we only hunt when one factor says it should be good, there will be other factors that are not ideal. The most successful hunters hunt as much as they can, when ever they can and appreciate the optimal conditions when they align. Just get out there and prove the doubters wrong. It's all fun anyway.
That was my previous disposition, lol, until the last two hunts… We went out, the weather was great, very light wind and we saw lots of tracks, fresh ones too! Had an excellent location for the stand, the wind was to our advantage and ….. crickets! Not even a single howl back, not even a peep! Haven’t even seen the birds flying to the call
So we were just curious if this activity calendar has anything to do with our luck…
Old 02-08-2022, 05:54 AM

Watch your dog, when he's full of pizz and vinegar the coyotes will be as well.

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-08-2022, 09:38 AM

Main coyote factor in January is when they have 'ha-d on' they are active.
Old 02-08-2022, 10:42 AM

For a while I tried comparing various measures of good vs bad fishing and hunting times. I was out hunting/fishing anyhow so wanted to see if there was a correlation. I can't honestly say that I found much of a pattern that matched up, so after a few years I quit bothering to look.
Old 02-08-2022, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Main coyote factor in January is when they have 'ha-d on' they are active.
Did anyone else read that with a Boston accent?
Old 02-08-2022, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
You have a twisted, funny mind. DC!
Cat
Old 02-08-2022, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Thought of Cliff Claven from Cheers
Old 02-08-2022, 07:12 PM
Banned

I thought matt Damon in the departed
Old 02-08-2022, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Watch your dog, when he's full of pizz and vinegar the coyotes will be as well.
I agree ! All wildlife responds to solunar periods in one way or another, as do Humans. It's the lowest forms of wildlife that are the first to respond to the different perioids.Humans are usually late to respond to the solunar effect as we have somehow lost our natural ability to do so.

I've been studying and using the solunar charts since the 60's. At that time I was doing a lot of Steelhead fishing. Rather than head to a favorite hole at Daylight and join the crowd, I would know when a major period was present a go about an hour before that time. More often than not, I would have my two fish in short order no matter what time of day it was.
The solunar charts were first deveoped by one John Alden Knight. (Google) I think the charts are genuine, but they do take some time to understand and apply them to your region. Once applied, they can be a very useful tool to add to your arsenal.
Signs of a Major solunar period are all around us. Start with a Goldfish in a bowl, or your Dog. If its lethargic stay home, If it's unusually active, its a little past go time as the best periods only last two to three hours. If most of the cattle in a pasture are lying down, ther're teling you something. It they appear active you are ,again a bit late getting to your stand. Remember, even the Oceans tides are influenced by the Solunar periods, but we have tide charts for those.
If the Solunar charts were understood and applied religiously to your hunting and fishing activities, I know your success would increase, often dramatically. with less uneventful time invested.
I'm still no expert on the subject, but they do work for me. Suggest you try them .Just My take.

Last edited by Salavee; 02-08-2022 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:10 PM

I believe the wind is the single biggest thing in hunting.

Sure, there's lots of contributing factors, maybe enough of those over-ride wind direction & speed, but as a stand-alone, wind is the biggie.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 02-08-2022, 09:11 PM

Thank you, very interesting indeed! We did go out today even thou it showed Stay Home on my app…. The first stand, the first locator call and THEY lit up the skies howling back at us! I told my buddy to quickly run back to the truck and grab more ammo, lol… Well and what do you know- I jinxed it! Not a single bugger showed up! But they howled like crazy!
Same scenario repeated a few more times, super vocal responses but no show.
But the last stand brought us the whole pack! Buddy saw 8 at least crossing the field about 800yards, I saw 3. 3 of them showed up and 1 took a ride home with us…
Old 02-08-2022, 09:23 PM

If you are getting howl backs but they aren't coming in, try switching up your call to a prey animal in distress, deer bleat etc. Even a pup in distress call might work.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post

Sure, there's lots of contributing factors, maybe enough of those over-ride wind direction & speed, but as a stand-alone, wind is the biggie.
Tru Nuff, but It's when all the stars line up that things can get interesting.
Old 02-09-2022, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
If you are getting howl backs but they aren't coming in, try switching up your call to a prey animal in distress, deer bleat etc. Even a pup in distress call might work.
Yep, we did just that. They wouldn’t budge, lol!
Old 02-09-2022, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post

I absolutely agree, especially when hunting coyotes. We had one bugger went around over a mile just to sniff what we are. Came out of the totally unexpected place….
Old 02-10-2022, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
I do. I find they are more active in the waning and waxing phases of the moon.

But like most guys say, wind is number one. His ears and eyes will get him into trouble, but his nose ALWAYS gets him out of it.