Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-13-2021, 08:05 AM

Default Open cartridge carry pouch

I’ve always considered these a bit of a gimmick. However, now I’m looking for a good one because of a recent experience where a couple of extra cartridges at ones finger tips would have been quite welcome. I want it to hold three to five cartridges and they need to be secure yet readily available without fumbling or looking. I do not want an attachment on the rifle. I want them on my person.

Does anyone have a good recommendation? Thanks.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-13-2021, 08:14 AM

Pocket?
Old 05-13-2021, 08:20 AM

No, not pocket

-Billy Molls
Old 05-13-2021, 08:29 AM

I have 3 of those, good quality. I keep one in my backpack for extra ammo, and one on my belt when I'm using the 45-70. Other rifles have magazines, so just the one in the backpack.

https://www.amazon.ca/CyberDyer-Util...0916026&sr=8-8
Old 05-13-2021, 08:30 AM

What about the type that attach to rifle sling?
Old 05-13-2021, 08:36 AM

iv done it a few ways. those cheap elastic type ones at canadain Tire ,holds 9 I think for on butt stock. I just cut them so it is flat then super glue to backing of my choice to attach to were I want. works good and looks as good as you want it to.
Amazon has a ton small as 2 rounds to 20+ most time with Molle attachment, iv used those on my belt or shoulder strap on pack, using the Molle as a belt loop. works fantastic.
lots of leather makers that make shell holders to go on belt most time 3 to 5 rounds, if type leather cartridge holder for belt in Google a bunch pop up.
next and I'm a big fan, is rifle slings that hold 2 or 3. cabelas sells one and it is cheap, doesn't affect sling and there right there at finger tips.
and I agree butt stock holders are meh, unless it's a nice leather one on a wood stock, but it does protect the covered wood and there can be a difference in stock weathering/color over time from covered part to uncovered part.
but huge fan of a sling with 2 or 3 on it. like huge fan.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitw View Post
Pocket?
I usually carry a couple in my right pocket for instant access. No fumbling,
I know where that pocket is.

Grizz
Old 05-13-2021, 10:26 AM

I have read that African PH's using double rifles carry two extra cartridges in there off hand when entering a hairy situation. Or are you thinking of something you would have on at all times in the bush?

I carry extras in my pocket. A few of my hunting coats have sewn in cartridge slots.

It's always a toss up between really easy access but then the possibility of losing a cartridge.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrossbow View Post
iv done it a few ways...
but huge fan of a sling with 2 or 3 on it. like huge fan.
Ditto. Been using the Butler Creek Alaskan Magnum slings with provisions to carry four cartridges for many years. You get a decent stretchy sling and handy access to extra shells. I usually only use the top two.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:41 AM

I have a couple of shirts with chest pockets that have shell holders sewn in to them. I find these very handy.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 05-13-2021, 10:56 AM

Does your bino harness have molle web? I bet there’s something out there that’ll attach to the side that’ll hold a few rounds.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:05 AM

I carry mine on a nylon sleeve on the rifle stock. Since you don't want yours on the rifle, and you are left handed, sew three or four elastic bullet loops to the Right chest of your hunting jacket or inside the right pocket of the jacket. Do that for all your regular outerwear jackets. That way spares are always in the same place. Right hand version of my suggestion.

Old 05-13-2021, 11:27 AM

been using these, and so far have been good.

From amazon.ca
Allen Company Deluxe Rifle Ammo Carrier, Holds 10 Cartridges, Break Up Infinity (232)
Old 05-13-2021, 11:47 AM

A friend of mine is a good leather/saddlemaker and has an eye for some functional hunting/shooting gear. He could likely design something exactly to fit dependent on your needs. If you go that route let me know and I can pass his info.
Old 05-13-2021, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHMS View Post
What about the type that attach to rifle sling?
I can’t think of a more silly way to carry ammo.... Nothing like that swinging weight of said ammo to bugger up your offhand shooting...
Old 05-13-2021, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I carry mine on a nylon sleeve on the rifle stock. Since you don't want yours on the rifle, and you are left handed, sew three or four elastic bullet loops to the Right chest of your hunting jacket or inside the right pocket of the jacket. Do that for all your regular outerwear jackets. That way spares are always in the same place. Right hand version of my suggestion.
I like this idea. You can sew a buttstock shell holder onto anything......be it your pack, your hat, your sleeve....
Old 05-13-2021, 01:19 PM

Some great ideas! Thanks!

-Billy Molls
Old 05-13-2021, 01:26 PM

I use a neoprene stock guard that has cartridge loops built in. Soft, quiet, protects my stock and carries cartridges close at hand and accessible.
Old 05-13-2021, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st99 View Post
I have 3 of those, good quality. I keep one in my backpack for extra ammo, and one on my belt when I'm using the 45-70. Other rifles have magazines, so just the one in the backpack.

https://www.amazon.ca/CyberDyer-Util...0916026&sr=8-8
this, I have at least 1/2 dozen of these. they fit right on your belt either left or right side, quick easy access. light and secure.
YOu might want to think about putting them on the buckle side of your belt though because with the cartridges in it it does have some weight and might tend to slide off your belt if you were to unbuckle it for some reason while sitting over a small log. Not that I'd know.
Old 05-13-2021, 05:08 PM

Just shoot once and you wont have to worry about it

Kidding

I pack around a gun sling with 3 extra cartridge loops. Works great!
Old 05-13-2021, 05:33 PM

x2 for neoprene rifle butt sleeve
Old 05-13-2021, 05:48 PM

I like the butt stock carriers personally and have used this one for years and no issues.

I just had this one made up to carry another rounds in my pocket. Hate it when the jingle in there so this should work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2021, 09:48 AM

You get lots of options, anything rifle mounted was slower to access than anything in the hands/ wrist,
When I was culling I found carrying two rounds on my fingers of the off hand, was effective, as was a couple rounds in the corner of the mouth. (Recoil dependant)
Of course this is for a planned shoot.
I suspect you are looking for a couple easy to access rounds, on hand for Emg.
For a number of years I had a small 4 cartridge holder, on the top of the off wrist. This worked really well, till I lost it,
Long slender tapered cartridges are easier to extract, form a holder that straight wall, ie the 7x57 was much easier to extract than a .270 win, in the sameholder in a hurry.
I have thought about getting another leather wrist cartridge holder, for my 9.3x74. Double rifle.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:10 AM

I've got a hornady bino harness that has space for 8 or 10 cartridges, pretty darn handy.
Old 05-16-2021, 10:50 PM

This is nice, maybe you can cut a neoprene butt stock holder and sew velcro to it to make it the number of rounds you need.

https://www.shortactionprecision.com...o-round-holder
Old 05-16-2021, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernman View Post
You get lots of options, anything rifle mounted was slower to access than anything in the hands/ wrist,
When I was culling I found carrying two rounds on my fingers of the off hand, was effective, as was a couple rounds in the corner of the mouth. (Recoil dependant)
Of course this is for a planned shoot.
I suspect you are looking for a couple easy to access rounds, on hand for Emg.
For a number of years I had a small 4 cartridge holder, on the top of the off wrist. This worked really well, till I lost it,
Long slender tapered cartridges are easier to extract, form a holder that straight wall, ie the 7x57 was much easier to extract than a .270 win, in the sameholder in a hurry.
I have thought about getting another leather wrist cartridge holder, for my 9.3x74. Double rifle.
Send pics and info once you do...I like this idea
Old 05-17-2021, 02:33 AM

Default Open cartridge carry pouch

I carry a couple spare in my bino harness.

Old 05-17-2021, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
I just had this one made up to carry another rounds in my pocket. Hate it when the jingle in there so this should work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like this! Might have to have one made up for myself. I generally carry extra rounds in a pocket. usually 2 in each pocket, and 2 in jacket/vest pocket. Put a bit of Kleenex in the pocket to keep them from jingling.
Old 05-17-2021, 07:48 PM

My buddy has a 3D printer and he printed a holder that clips on a backpack strap or belt that allows you to clip 3 shot into it.

Here is a video where he shows it and provides a link you can download to print your own version

https://youtu.be/eN77DlvEu9g

Last edited by jungleboy; 05-17-2021 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
I carry a couple spare in my bino harness.

As silly as it sounds I would not have thought to tuck a couple extra cartridges in my bino harnesses side pocket. Thanks for tip!