Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-16-2010, 11:21 PM

Default WMU 102 Mule deer?

I am interested in hunting wmu 102 for mule deer along the Milk River next season with my Dad. How is the trophy quality and deer numbers in this area near the Pinhorn grazing reserve? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-16-2010, 11:28 PM
Banned

numbers are ok, trophy quality....well.....good luck. hunt hard and maybe get lucky....there are some decent bucks, but its not known as a trophy zone by any means.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:02 AM

If you have never hunted it before I suggest you take the time to go have a look down there. This area is a very tough area to hunt unless you are young and strong or have 1000 yards of good rope to pull those mules out of the many canyons down there
Old 10-17-2010, 09:44 AM

Thanks for the replies, I have not hunted down there but I am used to the big coulees. I am from saskatchewan and have hunted along the south sask river many times. Is this area poor in genetics? Or, are there some other reasons why the trophy quality is down?
Old 10-17-2010, 09:57 AM

In my opinion they let out too many tags for these southern alberta zones,but what the heck do I know
Old 10-17-2010, 05:02 PM

Deer numbers and quality are way down. If you are planning on the Pinhorn good luck as they have did alot of fencing so you will be doing lots of walking. It wouldn't be my first choice for a big Mulie.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:26 PM

Are wmu's such as 124 and 128 any better?
Old 10-17-2010, 09:06 PM

You will see lots of bucks and the occasional 160 or 170 buck. My hunting partner was lucky enough to kill 2 bucks in the 170 range over the years. This hunt can be as hard as any mountain hunt. I have shot a couple of 140 type bucks here. I think there are better places to hunt for big mule deer.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:37 PM

Were you guys hunting in the 124 or 128 wmus or down in 102 when you got those 160" deer? I enjoy hunting the hills as I am still in my youth. What are some better zones for mule deer to consider? Keeping in mind access to good land. In some zones it is hard to get access to good land unless it is lease land...
Old 10-17-2010, 11:37 PM
Banned

i live in medicine hat. i dont bother hunting mule deer close to home. there are always exceptions, but the southeast part of alberta has taken a beating with regards to mule deer the last several years. its sad as this area used to be superb for trophy quality in the 90's. draw a line from about consort to cochrane and stay north of it if you want a big one.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
i live in medicine hat. i dont bother hunting mule deer close to home. there are always exceptions, but the southeast part of alberta has taken a beating with regards to mule deer the last several years. its sad as this area used to be superb for trophy quality in the 90's. draw a line from about consort to cochrane and stay north of it if you want a big one.
Some of the biggest bucks in recent years have been pulled south of that line !!!
Old 10-18-2010, 06:07 AM

Quote:
last year I had to go to Doctors in med.hat. That is where I saw my biggest mule deer ever. It was just as I got to town that big brute was smart. knew that the season was on and just sat there in a Gentlemen back yard . On the way out of town he had five does with him. Smart deer.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:22 AM

If I was looking for a hunt down there and had not been there before. I would look into floating the Milk River. Pinhorn can be good, but not where any roads run.lol
And be prepared to follow a string of taillights choking dust if you do decide to hunt it near the road.

25 years ago on the Pinhorn I saw what had to be the shortest, widest bandy legged buck. Looked like his belly was dragging on the ground. Only had doe tags.
Get down on the river.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:45 PM

I chased after a monster down there for about 28km on foot last year, but he always kept ahead of me by ~500 yards...
If you're looking for a lot of deer, don't bother going.
If you want to see one or two monstrous bucks, go there and head in deep off the roads.

(only reason I bothered with that deer is for the chance at beating the boone and crockett typical muley record. All hunting exaggerations aside, this guy would've topped the B&C deer... Next year, maybe...)
Old 10-19-2010, 03:27 PM

I love that country. Reminded me I had a few pics near the river from last fall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pin 3.jpg (48.4 KB, 513 views)
File Type: jpg Pin 2.jpg (54.3 KB, 415 views)
Old 10-19-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
I love that country.
x 2 love it down there as well, just a real shame what has become of the deer situation in the area.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:54 PM

Our mantra has always been"Hunting High and Hard for Late Season Muleys"

Then you get into the Pinhorn down 102- maybe scoot up to Manyberries- cruise through 118, back down to Onefour. Hunt some birds on the US border towards Havre.

And then say "WTF"

Time to hike in. Shocked at how few guys are on horseback down there. Sure there are fences, but with local landowner knowledge there is some incredible opportunities.

And not to beat a point but-a river runs through it
Old 10-19-2010, 05:11 PM

I hunt 118 for muleys and done scouting in late august. 2008 I would see 5-10 160 or so muleys at first light, 2009 I saw a few 160s over 5 mornings but this year I think I saw one that size. Trophy quality and muley numbers have just plumeted.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:33 PM

What is the antelope population like down there? I would love to do a hunt with my team and wagon on the southern Alberta prairie. Travel 5-10 km a day living in the wagon while hunting for antelope. I would take a riding horse as well but the wagon would be my main means of transportation.
Sorry...I am not trying to derail your thread but I won't get mulie again for a few years and I am Priority 8 for T Lope next year.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Some of the biggest bucks in recent years have been pulled south of that line !!!
i guess you missed the highlighted portion of this

Quote:

i live here, but dont hunt here. there is a reason for it. for someone who is not even from here to expect success is unlikely.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineguy View Post
What is the antelope population like down there? I would love to do a hunt with my team and wagon on the southern Alberta prairie. Travel 5-10 km a day living in the wagon while hunting for antelope. I would take a riding horse as well but the wagon would be my main means of transportation.
Sorry...I am not trying to derail your thread but I won't get mulie again for a few years and I am Priority 8 for T Lope next year.
lots of antelope down along the montana border and trophy quality is pretty good if you can hold off on the little guys. for the adventure that you are seeking, that area would be a perfect location.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:00 PM

i was just in 102 huntng antelope with the bow . there is tons of antlope and good amount of trophy antlope there. i was also there 3 years ago hunting for mule deer seen tons of bucks but if you want to get a monster you have to hke far and i mean far back into the coulies. i am actually heading down there in november for mulies. im planning just to hike and no road driving
Old 10-19-2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:
lots of antelope down along the montana border and trophy quality is pretty good if you can hold off on the little guys. for the adventure that you are seeking, that area would be a perfect location.
Now that's funny, FishFeathersGame and I are down there right now and are seeing more hunters than Antelope (385 tags). They had a tough Spring with lots of snow and rain. All summer long I have only seen 2 young ones and haven't seen anything worth shooting.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:56 AM
Gone Hunting

LOL! And you know what else Ram Crazy, its the best antelope zone in Alberta too. All that hubub about 5 generations of antelope dead/perished in 2 years is just talk,,, it definately isnt reality. No there isnt too many tags being dolled out,,, its just our imaginations.... Sh*t kickin our antelope,, no we ARE NOT. Oh, and our big of the big antelope bucks are only 3 1/2 years old,,, just ask our bio's,,, no names needed!! Hate to embarass anyone, though Im not sure they know enough to be embarrased LOL!

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er

Last edited by packhuntr; 10-20-2010 at 06:01 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Now that's funny, FishFeathersGame and I are down there right now and are seeing more hunters than Antelope (385 tags). They had a tough Spring with lots of snow and rain. All summer long I have only seen 2 young ones and haven't seen anything worth shooting.
that certainly is something to be concerned about. i saw over 500 goats in 2 1/2 days of hunting, and i think only about half a dozen were this years fawns. that is gonna mean an entirely missing age class down the road. no question this spring was brutal on the animals. as for seeing more hunters than goats, well, according to the others there at the moment, maybe try walking in off the roads?
Old 10-20-2010, 11:45 AM

What makes you think were on the road. We can't get much further off the road or we'd be in Montana.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:53 AM
Banned

I got a mule that will easily go 240 Locked up in 102. your on your own and the pinhorn is all walking it's just like a sheep hunt to Good luck. zone 130 produces monster if I were you I'd draw there.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:40 PM

Ramcrazy is looking too high on the hills he's still lookin for a big sheep or maybe he needs new glasses. I would be a little specticle of what anyone says about the amount or quality of game in any area. Best go and check it out yourself. I was sure there were roads in Montana also
Old 10-20-2010, 08:43 PM

Stick to the badlands and all the foot access in one four.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:01 AM

I am with Ram on this one, 102 has deer but nothing of great quantities.
I hunted this area really hard this year many many miles on foot.Yes I saw some nice Mule's but way back in and far from any roads. All together I saw ten different Bucks and maybe thirty does with fawns. not great numbers after one day of the season I would think you would be wasting gas. As far antelope yes there is lots of them But most are does. there are some good prize bucks but by now you will be lucky to find them.out of two hundred you would be lucky to find three trophy bucks.And maybe 15 small non trophy s This is after walking well over 75miles in a week down there. Oh ya and you have to watch out for Idiots that shoot at anything . Had a shot fly past me . heard the zing then the bang .Don't ever want to feel that scared again. Lots of private land you will need permission.