Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-01-2018, 12:21 PM

Default Whale sharks

So next year I’m planning to take my wife to swim with whale sharks for our 20th wedding anniversary, I have done some research and Mexico is the best place and August is the best month my question is has anyone done this experience before and who did you fly with
Old 09-01-2018, 01:29 PM

Huh. Looking to get rid of the wife hey ?

Great plan.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:07 PM

This sounds very cool.

Although I can't give you any advice, make sure to report back with trip details. Sounds like it will be a blast.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:30 PM

My wife and I did a whale shark tour after we went on a week long sea kayaking trip down in La Paz (we were down in March). I initially thought it was going to be SUPER cheesy and touristy! I have to admit I was wrong with that presumption! It was in fact pretty cool! They are all juveniles in that area so not as big as the adults (but big enough). All the tour operators work together to get their guests in a position to see the sharks (and to protect the sharks). The one thing I will say, is that this experience is more conducive to people that are strong (very strong) swimmers! Both my wife and I are, and we had so many great swims it was hard to believe! Other folks, not so much. Unless you can swim fast and keep up, your experience will be over in a few seconds (and it will be somewhat frustrating as you will have many chances to swim with them)! That being said, the guide was able to assist the children and (smaller) adults by dragging them along in order to keep up with the sharks!

I think the cost for us was USD $70 pp which included a REALLY crappy sandwich (which I couldn't even eat due to dietary restrictions/preferences - they did not provide an alternative). I can let you know the name of the tour company we went with in La Paz if you are interested and if that is where you will be...

Peter

-Confucius

Last edited by ÜberFly; 09-01-2018 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-01-2018, 03:22 PM

Sounds cool. I was in Cabo at the same time that lady from Calgary was killed there during a whale watching tour. She worked with my buddy at Worley Parsons. I enjoy Mexico for the sun and the beach but I’m not much for putting my trust in Mexicans to keep me safe...
Old 09-01-2018, 03:23 PM

Talk to the Abyss Dive Centre out of Playa Del Carmen. Dave and his team are fantastic.
Old 09-01-2018, 05:14 PM

Cool Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf308 View Post

Huh. Looking to get rid of the wife hey ?

Great plan.

Whale Shark 101 ... https://www.sharksider.com/safe-swim-whale-sharks/

Selkirk
Old 09-01-2018, 07:26 PM

Oh no. Not gonna get me with the self edumicate link.

Your planning on putting her in the water with a plankton sammich around her neck and when she goes missing claim dissapearance.