Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-14-2015, 02:58 PM

Default Help! places to fish east of Prince Rupert and north of Vanderhoof?

I'll be taking my son to do some flyfishing in early August. We'll mostly be hanging out around Rupert, then up to Stewart/Hyder then heading over to Stuart Lake area north of Vanderhoof before heading south of Prince George toward home in Cgy.

I've never fished this Rupert - Prince George route in BC before so any suggestions would be great and appreciated. We have a couple of 'toons so hitting a lake is do-able too.
if you prefer, feel free to PM me

thanks!
Old 07-14-2015, 05:54 PM

Hit the Kitimat River for Chums, early August is a great time to be up there, I was there 3 years ago and had great action on the fly.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:27 PM

Smile

Be sure to check out the people of Morisetown netting fish from the cliffs. It is amazing to watch them.

Meziadin Lake has some feisty rainbows and I think I remember catching dollies there as well. But to be honest it was a very long time ago that I was there. We camped at the lake and there was a rough boat launch into the lake. I remember it being a long lake and we had to worry about the winds. We were just in a small 12 aluminum boat. We fished the creek mouths and had good luck. We also trolled around and did well. Use, half backs, damsels (pumpkin heads), leech patterns will work well black, green or red.

The water is pretty silty. So don't worry about what you use for leader. They are not leader shy.

Salmon also move up through the lake. There are sockeye and also coho. But like I said that was a long time ago. If you try for the salmon be sure to use some bright flashy flies like a Kelsey's Hope, or a Christmas tree, Micky Finn, or a Rolled Muddler. The Rolled Muddler is basically like a regular muddler. But it is very sparce. The tail and overwing is either turkey or mallard, body silver or gold wrap, over top of the over wing you tie in some deer hair, but less is more. I only go with a dozen pieces or less. Then spin a small bit of deer hair in front of that. Trim it down very small. 1/4" wide. You can also use a good sized bead head on this fly or even a cone head. Both work well. I usually put on a 5/32 bead on a size 8 hook. Or the cone head on an 8 2X hook.
http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/rolled-muddler/

The great thing about the rolled muddler is that you will catch the rainbows and dollies on it as well. So it's an all round good fly to use up north.
Word of warning. Be sure if you pull into shore in some of the spots away from the boat launch to make some noise. I accidently pulled right up to a black bear who was coming through some grass to the water for a drink. Not sure who crapped first, him or me. I think we both scared it out of each other though.

Have a great trip. I wish I was heading up there also. Maybe next year. It is such a magical place.

Had to do a quick edit. The pinks should be rolling through like crazy then. The Bulkley in Smithers will be chock full of them. Pink or green flies work for them. If your looking for some good flies for up there, my buddy Justin Sander ties some amazing salmon flies. http://www.flytyingforcescustomtiedf...ean-flies.html

Last edited by Kingfisher; 07-14-2015 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:01 PM

Thanks for the great answers! ....will follow up on the muddler pattern. Should be a lot of fun.

Note taken on the bear pointer. We'll be crossing into Alaska at Hyder(sp?) to watch bears feed in the river. Maybe I just gotta fish a bit downstream of them!

thanks again!