Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-04-2009, 11:42 AM

Default good cheap target?

i need a good cheap target that will last fairly long and can handle broadheads, any info would be great
Old 03-04-2009, 12:15 PM

good / cheap don't usually get to go along together on this subject. I've used boxes of rags from the industrial store. They work pretty good, can stop chisel point broadheads, won't stop sharp cut on contact head. 2 finger pull with field points, 2 minute unwrap/unscrew & pull with broadheads. Having said that, Morells make an excellent Broadhead target, not cheap but very good. (don't shoot field points into it though. You'll have a hernia pulling the arrows out. The spyderweb butts are pretty good field point targets.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:15 PM

Straw bales
Old 03-04-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunman300 View Post
Straw bales
won't stop diddly.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:24 PM

This one is free, works well and last for a long time:

Get 40 old Calgary Yellow Pages, stack em, use a ratchet strap and plywood for top and bottom, cinch'em down, and voila, target.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:59 PM

I used to use a chicken feed bag stuffed with rags. Once it got too cut up, and the rags were coming out, I just put the whole outfit into another bag.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:12 PM

I always used carpet draped over a frame, you want to have about 8-10 layers the more the better, it makes for a good target on a acerage if you have the room, i guess a smaller target could be made my cutting out 2x2 sheets of carpet and tieing them together at the top and hanging it from a brace. good luck

Brad
Old 03-04-2009, 01:42 PM

Plastic shrink wrap is the best I have found...and its free! Go to your local Shipping /receiving depot and ask them to save a few days worth of used wrap,stuff it in a gunny sac,paint a target on it and shoot away!
Old 03-04-2009, 03:44 PM

I would just get a Rhinehart 18:1.. that thing will last forever and if you do manage to shoot it you they will replace it and give you a new one!!
Old 03-04-2009, 04:12 PM

Default cheap as dirt!

I been using the same sand pile for years...ofcoase it's froze now thou...chain
Old 03-04-2009, 05:26 PM

Talking

I got A couple ideas for you:

1) you can go to like a bunch of stores and ask if they want to get rid of their cardboard from say appliances, and stuff. When you get enough cut it into equal sizes about 3x3x3, then stack it on one another, youll need alot of card board for a decent target but its well worth it Anyways then get some rachet straps and tighten them up. If you wanna make it water proof just pust it in a couple thick plastic bags. Make it tight all around then tie it up . When your middle starts to get shot out. Take your cardboard out and Just move the less shot up pieces from the top and bottom into the middle and start shootin again. i made two and the one took me a year to shoot up. The one shot up is 3x3x3. the other 5x5x5. this works for broadheads and field. Hope this idea works.

2) The other one is for say inside a shop bcz this one will break down from the weather, animals and whatever, we have one inside but, we also have one outside for longer distances it actually holds up pretty well. This one is a little priceier. Go to the hardware store and ask for something called fibreboard i think it is. Any wood with thin, small pices of wood shavings i think. Get a bunch of pieces of that and cut them into a preferred size, It should be about a foot and a half thick or thicker if you want, i dont care how wide it is or tall, just at least a foot and a half thick . When u got all your pieces cut, stack on top each other just like the cardboard. And It's up to you if you want to make a frame to hold it all together or just rachet straps again, we built frames for both. Like With the cardboard when an area gets shot out move the pieces around. This target is only good for field tips but will last forever. buy a morrells for broadheads or a glendel full rut buck target.

I Hope these suggestions work for you cuz they doo for me.

Last edited by bowtech-boy; 03-04-2009 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulestalker View Post
Plastic shrink wrap is the best I have found...and its free! Go to your local Shipping /receiving depot and ask them to save a few days worth of used wrap,stuff it in a gunny sac,paint a target on it and shoot away!
This is what I've done for field tips...

Mulestalker - how does it work for broadheads?
Old 03-04-2009, 07:45 PM

3X plastic shrink wrap.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:16 PM

They stop broadheads just as well but really hard on my burlap,I have one side that I use for broadheads,other for field points.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:31 PM

I have a target made from burlap. Its full of plastic wrap. It has a metal frame on it. It works great for Field points. I've used it for 5 years now. Never shot a broadhead through it. It would probably work but it would be hard on the burlap.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:08 AM
Gone Hunting

Get a monster cardboard box, like from a large t.v. and take it to a spray foam insulation outfit, (the stuff they insulate wellheads with). Have him fill the box with the foam, let it set up, and tear the box away. You will have THE BEST TARGET youve ever had, stops broadheads and it will take you YEARS to shoot out the six sides. Prob cost around 100 dollars to do, but beleive me, your target troubles will be over. If you cant try that, then x4 on the plastic shrink wrap.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 03-06-2009, 09:49 AM

take a cardboard box whatever size you like and stuff it with plastic shopping bags full of pastic shopping bagsuntil you can't stuff anymore in.Then fire away its free and it works well with any tips I save all my shopping bags for this some recycle places have bins full of them as well
Old 03-06-2009, 10:22 AM

Spend 100 bucks get an 18 sided rhinhart for broadheads and field tips, best investment ever,wont be sorry
Old 03-06-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
won't stop diddly.
They seem to stop my crossbow just fine.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:54 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
Get a monster cardboard box, like from a large t.v. and take it to a spray foam insulation outfit, (the stuff they insulate wellheads with). Have him fill the box with the foam, let it set up, and tear the box away. You will have THE BEST TARGET youve ever had, stops broadheads and it will take you YEARS to shoot out the six sides. Prob cost around 100 dollars to do, but beleive me, your target troubles will be over. If you cant try that, then x4 on the plastic shrink wrap.
Man thats a great idea thanks. I use that to repair 3-D targets all the time it even takes awhile to shoot the stuff out of that. Great idea!!
Old 03-06-2009, 10:19 PM

I have an older "Block" targert that still has plenty of life left in it......

If you know someone around Lethbride area that can get it for you, I'd gladly give it to ya......
Old 03-06-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmitty27 View Post
I always used carpet draped over a frame, you want to have about 8-10 layers the more the better, it makes for a good target on a acerage if you have the room, i guess a smaller target could be made my cutting out 2x2 sheets of carpet and tieing them together at the top and hanging it from a brace. good luck

Brad
X2