Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-04-2011, 12:55 PM

Default A little help from some guides/outfitters out there

Just wondering about gaining some employment in the field. Be it a guide/camp cook/labourer ect.... What kind of courses/action should i take in trying to get on with an outfitter.

Thanks,

Jesse
Old 05-04-2011, 01:10 PM

if you were a guide in b,c you would start as a deck hand, but in alberta i think if your good at fishing you dont need any courses, a love for fishing is the best thing to have and for camp cook maby cooking exp......
Old 05-04-2011, 02:00 PM
Gone Hunting

If you want to be hunting guide you need to have an outfitter sign you up. There may be courses available, but I don't know of any that are required.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-04-2011, 03:48 PM

so basically talk to an outfitter and convince him to hire me, is what you guys are saying? In other words outfitters are really not looking for any pre-requisites such as a course or specific education.

Are there any outfitters/guides kicking around willing to chime in on this? Any help would be appreciated(lol i guess most/some will be hunting spring bear)

Thanks

Jesse
Old 05-04-2011, 04:28 PM

You might want to take some political sciences courses.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbS View Post
so basically talk to an outfitter and convince him to hire me, is what you guys are saying? In other words outfitters are really not looking for any pre-requisites such as a course or specific education.
Jesse,

It can be a tough gig to "get into". Most places (reputable ones) tend to have a steady crew that they use. Most hunts only have one "guide" on them and its a straight draw off the profit margin if you add a helper. Maybe look to outfits that run some tougher hunts and work for cheap. Make sure you're right up front about following seasons and that if it works out that you'll be available in future seasons (let him know that you want to eventually be a guide when he deems you "qualified". I'd look at it as sort of like being an apprentice.....except you only gotta prove yourself to the guy signing the cheques. It's pretty tough to tell a guys skill level and how he gets along with pple in an interview. Ya gotta see how he is when ya put a knife in his hand and a season of work witnessed speaks volumes. Don't expect to retire off what you're gonna make!!! There is way easier ways to make money......but not many that are as fun. Definately gotta love it to do it. $250 a day and 18hr days can be taxing.....but ohhhhhh, so rewarding if it's something you love to do. Personally I enjoy guiding as much....maybe even a little more than hunting for myself.

I like the idea of a "guide course" but truthfully I don't see the need. If a guy is willing to pay you then you "must" be good enough.....just tough to earn a seat.

tm
Old 05-04-2011, 09:29 PM

There is actually a 7 month guiding/outfitter course you can take that is offered out of vermillion ( I think that is where it is ). I do a little bit of goose guiding for a guy in the Hanna area every other year. He seems to recommend taking the course if you want to get into big game guiding/outfitting! It teaches you all sorts of stuff! I think a lot to do with laws and licenses, among other things! I've checked out the course online, but have not taken it! Although I think it would be a cool course to take even if you didn't want to guide! Might be worth a look!
Old 05-04-2011, 10:11 PM

photo album, experience and a truck
Old 05-04-2011, 10:19 PM

Our wages in BC for elk are $1500 for a 10 day hunt. Its best to ask an outfitter to take you and let you work as a wrangler/assistant guide for a few hunts.He might pay you $500. After you learn his way of doing things, you might get hired on steady.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:16 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheep nut View Post
Our wages in BC for elk are $1500 for a 10 day hunt. Its best to ask an outfitter to take you and let you work as a wrangler/assistant guide for a few hunts.He might pay you $500. After you learn his way of doing things, you might get hired on steady.
Tell us what your day looks like for a $1500 10 day hunt.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-05-2011, 12:25 AM

A lot of my apprentices came recommended by guides, usually they've expressed an interest and have the basic outdoor skills. I like to meet them face to face and talk so I can judge their personality and verbal skills, .....an excellent hunter doesn't always make a great guide! If taken on, the first season is generally spent accompaning various other guides and packing, learning the country and the animals' traits and trails. If he's a good learner and teamplayer, and hasn't burnt out, has received good praise from the other guides and the clients, he'll most likely find a job waiting for the next season, or a good recommendation for some other outfitter that needs a good guide.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Tell us what your day looks like for a $1500 10 day hunt.
Usually I am packed in 8 to 18 hours. My day usually starts at 4am with breakfast, building lunches, and catching horses. Sometimes I can hunt close to camp and come back for lunch but I perfer to stay out. With elk I try and be wherever I think there is a nice bull. If that means a 4 hour ride in the dark, so be it. Same goes for the evening, so it might mean a 4 hour ride in the dark on the way home. Once we get a bull, the pressure is off and we can relax a little and go look for other tags he has.

Sometimes it's huge work for you money, sometimes while I'm sitting up in a nice basin waiting for the evening hunt.....I think, "I can't believe thy are PAYING me to do this".
Old 05-05-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
A lot of my apprentices came recommended by guides, usually they've expressed an interest and have the basic outdoor skills. I like to meet them face to face and talk so I can judge their personality and verbal skills, .....an excellent hunter doesn't always make a great guide! If taken on, the first season is generally spent accompaning various other guides and packing, learning the country and the animals' traits and trails. If he's a good learner and teamplayer, and hasn't burnt out, has received good praise from the other guides and the clients, he'll most likely find a job waiting for the next season, or a good recommendation for some other outfitter that needs a good guide.
x2. thats the most common way.