Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-25-2021, 12:34 PM

Default Olympic Hockey

I have been listening to a lot of sports talk the last few weeks at work and there have been some interesting discussions around who should be on Team Canada.

Canada is very deep everywhere, except really in goaltending. Most teams just want to have 2 top centers, Team Canada could probably fill their top 6 with all centers.

The most relevant bubble names thrown out there for Alberta team fans would be Hyman and Mangepanie. I personally think both players have a lot of characteristics that could be super beneficial for team Canada. Both players have a great ability to get in and go retrieve pucks which is a really valuable skill that not all top skilled players are great at.

One of the things they consider is it is a short tournament so it is sometimes better to take players that already have some chemistry which would bode well for Hyman. Also there is some belief that Connor may have some sway by saying he wants Hyman there, that would move Hyman up the list. There is probably some truth to that, but I am not so certain they would make there decision based on that.

Team Canada remembers when players answer the call, and as of late several NHL players pass on worlds, so the fact that Mangepanie went last year and lead Canada to gold and got tournament MVP, in my opinion would probably give him the same boost as McDavid saying I want Hyman. Hard to discount him with the way he is playing his 15 goals and his high shooting percentage can not be overlooked. Not to mention how well he meshed when he showed up late last year to worlds.(Again this goes to the its a short tournament so sometimes chemistry is needed) but shows he excelled without it per say

I think for either of those guys it is a long shot, but I wouldn't be surprised if 1 of them made the team, highly unlikely that Canada would take both, barring injuries etc.

Tom Wilson- Never really thought about it, until I heard people talking, but he definitely plays a different style game and may be good to have that type of player for when you are playing the bigger/heaver teams like the USA.

Nazim Kadri- The way he has been playing I would suspect he is on their radar, I would probably take him over Wilson at this point.

Now onto Jonathan Toews. He is certainly not lighting it up this year, but is improving as the season goes on, Analyst's appear to be leaning towards he should be on his team. Based on the fact he has won at all levels of play Junior/World Juniors/NHL/Olympics. As well as his leadership qualities. It doesn't sound like they are super sold on him, but if he continues to play well they think he should be on the team. I actually disagree with this one for now. Before the "Chicago incident" came out I would have agreed with them, but after that and seeing his response to the situation, I actually lost a fair bit of respect for him as a leader. Maybe that isn't fair, but as the Captain of that team, I would have hopped that even when he did hear later at the following training camp about it, that he would have at least reached out to Kyle. So based on that and the fact he had last year off due to health reasons and isn't lighting it up, I wouldn't have him on my list.

Goaltending I am not sure who I would pick, If Price was healthy and playing well hands down my number 1 pick, but who knows how he is going to be, I do believe they got an exception for Price and they were able to submit him as an extra on their list.

Beyond that, Carter Hart has been playing well this year looks like he has rebounded well from last year, but can he handle the pressure, after last year I am not sure, but he would probably be my next pick.

Fleury- no idea he has been awful for most of this year, seems to be turning a corner, but again you don't have a lot of time over there for him to find his game.

Maybe Binnington or Jarry? My 3 would probably be Hart/Price as long as Fleury keeps improving I would take him. If not Jarry I think. I may be overthinking goaltending weaknesses though, Because let's be honest if Crosby/McDavid/McKinnon can not outscore mediocre goaltending we have other issues that are way more pressing... (note McKinnon is currently injured but I am assuming all players being discussed are healthy in time, or stay healthy.)
Old 11-26-2021, 07:18 AM

MANGIAPANE (you sure you're a Flames fan) has been scoring goals. Next to nada for assists. I don't think team Canada will be lacking for goals and there's lots of high profile, high point production Canadian players capable of playing the 2 way game required. Bergeron as a 3rd line C comes to mind. No lack of depth in Canada's lineup.

As ans2ering the call for Team Canada service in lesser tournaments being important, Iginla always had an excuse for not going to World, etc championships, even when he was in his prime and Flames were missing the playoffs. Not worthy of his consideration I guess. Always showed up for the bright lights though. Based on that past service likely isn't as important as you might think.

I would assume Price, Binnington, and Hart are the front runners in goal.
Old 11-26-2021, 07:55 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

All I know is that we can again we can put two teams together but dump those jerseys

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-26-2021, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
All I know is that we can again we can put two teams together but dump those jerseys

I think the black is awesome.
Old 11-26-2021, 04:54 PM

Kadri zero chance making that roster.
Old 11-26-2021, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
Why not?

Yeah, he has a suspect history.

But he is a gritty player that paid his dues already. What most teams would want.

And he's having a terrific season so far.

I say yes...
Old 11-26-2021, 07:54 PM
Banned

Tom Wilson?? Don't make me laff He's a freeking 1 man gong show and his shenanigans don't apply to Olympic hockey
Old 11-26-2021, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
I like the way you think.
Old 11-26-2021, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
Why not?

But he is a gritty player that paid his dues already. What most teams would want.

I say yes...
Basket case, all about me. Team Canada ain’t that. If Colorado were to miss the playoffs (so unlikely) or get bounced early on I’m not sure he’d be called for the World Championship team never mind the Olympics.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:52 AM

Should we be sending athletes, or anyone for that matter, to China ?

I say no... Boycott Beijing 2022
Old 12-04-2021, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
Why not?

I say yes...
It’s the million dollar gamble. Grit and badgering can also mean more penalties.

5 on 5 Canada is a beast. 4 on 5 and teams can mine for goals better. Without amazing goaltending the team must play disciplined and keep penalties as low as possible.

He would increase the risk of penalties stat.

It also hinges on refereeing. Are they planning the normal call games tight like most international games or are they going to let more go like the NHL… at times free for all and at times super tight and some in between.

Mange has grit and fire for a 4th line. He’s also an international winner that led the team to victory. I give him an edge.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-07-2021, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
Tom Wilson?? Don't make me laff He's a freeking 1 man gong show and his shenanigans don't apply to Olympic hockey
He has 9 goals and 15 assists for 24 points in 26 games this year. 31 penalty minutes. It is confirmed that he has gone through the Olympic testing protocols for the Bejing Olympics and is for sure on the radar.

He has mostly cut the shenanigans out of his game and reduced his penalty minutes over the last few years. He had his first fight this season somewhere between game 18-22.
Old 12-07-2021, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
It’s the million dollar gamble. Grit and badgering can also mean more penalties.

5 on 5 Canada is a beast. 4 on 5 and teams can mine for goals better. Without amazing goaltending the team must play disciplined and keep penalties as low as possible.

He would increase the risk of penalties stat.

It also hinges on refereeing. Are they planning the normal call games tight like most international games or are they going to let more go like the NHL… at times free for all and at times super tight and some in between.

Mange has grit and fire for a 4th line. He’s also an international winner that led the team to victory. I give him an edge.
Good point.

But he the way he plays, may help our team.