Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-23-2021, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
He was talked into lending them money on a personal promissory note with promises of huge interest and share profit dividends, with no mention of structure or shares, and no security.

I have lent money, but never to someone I don't know and never without 2x the value of the money sitting in my care and control.

I am much more careful and being burned once. I have a bill of sale for a jeep in BC but he didn't tell me you need some other piece of paper. Like title in the States maybe.
Gotcha. When you were talking about being set up to trade it had me confused.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Youd never do time in Canada. Never.
Listening on ched today about the lack of crown prosecutors you very well might be right. But it's still a risk and the juice gotta be worth the squeeze. I feel like violence is a language myself and a lot of good ol boys can speak fluently but the thought of not being able to be with my beautiful wife and kids always makes pause for thought.

On the other hand try to do things the right way and that same shortage could cause a dirtbag to get away with out justice served.

Interesting times we are in.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
See, you went to chat

There should be no chatting
And he filed a police report beforehand ...
Old 11-23-2021, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
My experience has been different. When a local kid broke into my place on Slave Lake a few years ago and a few of us went to have a chat with him at his house, the High Prairie detachment was all over me threatening to bring me in if I went near him again. I laughed at the member that called me back in GP...literally. But still, point taken. That's the snowflake world we live in now. The kid was dumb enough to do it five days after his 18th birthday. The record might be a problem for him if he wasn't dead already.
Isn't that disgusting. He breaks into your house then calls the police because you scared him?

Sorry that happened to you.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-25-2021, 07:30 PM

Quote:
He was talked into lending them money on a personal promissory note with promises of huge interest and share profit dividends, with no mention of structure or shares, and no security.

I have lent money, but never to someone I don't know and never without 2x the value of the money sitting in my care and control.

I am much more careful and being burned once. I have a bill of sale for a jeep in BC but he didn't tell me you need some other piece of paper. Like title in the States maybe.
Just finding out about a similar situation
Old 11-25-2021, 08:21 PM

There were a couple older fellows that got scammed at work. I guess when you're talking to the scammer first hand it seems a lot more convincing than after the fact when you're talking about what happened.

I know a couple years ago when I got my first warrant for my arrest recording phone call, I definitely got surpise scared.

Now to me it's a big joke when someone tries to pull these scams. I mess with them for as long as I can. I usually pretend I'm half deaf.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2021, 12:57 PM

Default It is on GLOBAL now. No longer secretive investigation

Alberta RCMP Federal Policing obtain Canada-wide warrant for husband and wife believed to be operating million-dollar investment scam
Calgary – Following a complex investigation, the Alberta RCMP Integrated Market Enforcement Team (IMET) have obtained Canada-wide warrants for a husband and wife who are believed to have operated a fraudulent investment company identified as Family First Dynasty Inc. in Millarville, Alta.
IMET’s investigation uncovered a scheme that allegedly defrauded clients out of their finances and resulted in more than one million dollars lost by victims.
Fernando Honorate de Silva Fa gundes, 65, and Emilia Alas-As Elansin, 40, both of no fixed address, have been charged with the following:
• Fraud over $5,000 contrary to Section 380(1)(a) of the Criminal Code;
• Theft over $5,000 contrary to Section 334 of the Criminal Code; and
• Laundering the Proceeds of Crime contrary to Section 462.31 of the Criminal Code.
F*gundes allegedly operated his criminal activity under the alias Jovan Cavallon and Elansin under Janelle Cavallon. Fa*undes portrayed himself as a day-trading expert and used an investment course operated under another company of his, Day Trading Coach Inc., to approach victims with investment opportunities later determined to be fraudulent.
Investors in both Alberta and British Columbia reportedly provided money to *agundes through Family First Dynasty Inc., believing he would trade their finances in the stock market to make them a profit. The investigation showed that ***undes allegedly obtained approximately 1.3 million Canadian dollars from victims and, rather than investing the funds, took the money for his own gains. Elansin is believed to be responsible for managing the administration of Fa*undes’ two companies.
F*gundes is believed to have committed similar frauds in Portugal, the United States, Saskatchewan, and Ontario. ***undes and Elansin have fled the Millarville area and their current whereabouts are unknown.
The Alberta RCMP was able to successfully lay charges in this investigation through collaboration with the Forensic Accounting Management Group, Financial Transactions and Reports Analysis Center of Canada, Public Prosecution Service of Canada and Specialized Prosecutions of the Province of Alberta, Alberta Securities Commission (ASC), Ontario Securities Commission, Financial and Consumer Affairs Authority of Saskatchewan, and US Federal Bureau of Investigation.
IMET is a specialized unit under the RCMP Federal Policing program that detects, investigates, and deters market fraud. The IMET unit works closely with the ASC to protect investors and further enhance confidence in Canada’s capital markets.
If you have any information with respect to the whereabouts of either F*gundes or Elansin, or suspect yourself to be a victim of this particular scam, you are asked to contact IMET at 403-699-2434 or CalgaryIMET-EIPMFCalgary@rcmp-grc.gc.ca.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 11-26-2021 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-26-2021, 01:02 PM

He also operated under the names:
Fernando F*gundes Honorate

Shane Silver
Shane Silverman
Shane Silva
Fernando Silva
Fernando Fa gender (really? This is blocked in AO?) remove the space
Allan D Kowalchuk
Kim John Kowalchuk
Reginald Allen Goebel
Henry Roche

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 11-26-2021 at 01:09 PM.
Old 11-26-2021, 01:11 PM

https://futures.io/trading-reviews-v...review-16.html

Old 11-26-2021, 01:13 PM

before anyone gets all soap boxy and starts in on the 18.5 million referenced earlier, this million they are talking about is now. He was investigated, fined, arrested, in 1997 1998 1989 1999, been hiding in Canada since 2003, investigated again in 2013 2016 and more dates if you care to look.

Just dont get caught by this guy.

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 11-26-2021 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-26-2021, 01:15 PM

https://web.archive.org/web/20140601....blogspot.com/

Old 11-26-2021, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
I've loaned a lot of money to a lot of friends, family, heck even acquaintances over the years. My lawyer has always handled the paperwork and registered the appropriate liens at their expense. Oddly enough, I've never had a problem getting repaid.
trade you relatives
mine don’t come with a guarantee or assets
Old 11-26-2021, 02:58 PM

Quote:
We are coming into the most dangerous season, when scammers seem to crawl out of the woodwork.
Not tryin to get off-topic, but earlier today Nov/26/21 I got a robocall from "Canada Border Services" saying an ordered package arrived for me at the border full of illegal substances. There's a warrant out for my arrest and the police are looking for me.

I must 'Press 1 to talk to an Officer'. So I did this time just to have some fun.

When the "officer" came on the line:

I said without letting him get a word in edgewise, "Come and get me. I'm on the verge of bankruptcy and could sure use the three square meals a day in prison; not to mention all the 'rights' I'll suddenly have, so send them along, I'll be waiting. Thank-you and goodbye."

This time there was dead silence for a few seconds, then a [click].

Other times that happened, when I just laid the receiver down and listened, there was a lotta cursing and swearing, an a ton of insults.

I don't bother too often, but when I do its always good for a laugh!
Old 11-26-2021, 03:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckincity View Post
Not tryin to get off-topic, but earlier today Nov/26/21 I got a robocall from "Canada Border Services" saying an ordered package arrived for me at the border full of illegal substances. There's a warrant out for my arrest and the police are looking for me.

I must 'Press 1 to talk to an Officer'. So I did this time just to have some fun.

I said without letting him get a word in edgewise, "Come and get me. I'm on the verge of bankruptcy and could sure use the three square meals a day in prison; not to mention all the 'rights' I'll suddenly have, so send them along, I'll be waiting. Thank-you and goodbye."

Other times that happened, when I just laid the receiver down and listened, there was a lotta cursing and swearing, an a ton of insults.

Got that call last week!

I asked him where to send my money to have the warrant cancelled, then called him a, well no point in getting banned by swearing here lol.

Last year the big scam was, I owed back taxes and there was a warrant for my arrest, but if I sent money to a bank account the warrant would be cancelled.

I always play along then I have some fun before hanging up the phone lol
Old 11-26-2021, 03:40 PM

There is a free service offered by the cell providers - 'call control'. It stops 100% of the bs calls. Since putting this on my phone I have not had a single one.

Old 11-26-2021, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Alberta RCMP Federal Policing obtain Canada-wide warrant for husband and wife believed to be operating million-dollar investment scam
Calgary – Following a complex investigation, the Alberta RCMP Integrated Market Enforcement Team (IMET) have obtained Canada-wide warrants for a husband and wife who are believed to have operated a fraudulent investment company identified as Family First Dynasty Inc. in Millarville, Alta.
IMET’s investigation uncovered a scheme that allegedly defrauded clients out of their finances and resulted in more than one million dollars lost by victims.
Fernando Honorate de Silva Fa gundes, 65, and Emilia Alas-As Elansin, 40, both of no fixed address, have been charged with the following:
How do these people have no fixed address?
Old 11-26-2021, 03:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
There is a free service offered by the cell providers - 'call control'. It stops 100% of the bs calls. Since putting this on my phone I have not had a single one.
How much? which provider? Thanks!
Old 11-26-2021, 03:53 PM

Can someone answer why its called "theft over $5,000.00? I never understood that, especially when it involves hundreds of thousands or in this case millions?
Old 11-26-2021, 05:05 PM

Quote:
before anyone gets all soap boxy and starts in on the 18.5 million referenced earlier, this million they are talking about is now. He was investigated, fined, arrested, in 1997 1998 1989 1999, been hiding in Canada since 2003, investigated again in 2013 2016 and more dates if you care to look.

Just dont get caught by this guy.

both of no fixed address and multiple names.

And they flew the coop, they'll assume new identities and start over.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 11-26-2021, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb-MBR View Post
Can someone answer why its called "theft over $5,000.00? I never understood that, especially when it involves hundreds of thousands or in this case millions?
One of those old time legal things, when 5 Grand was a lot of money. A lot of our legal system is just plain archaic, makes it sound trivial though.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 11-26-2021, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North40Rules View Post
How much? which provider? Thanks!
Missed some?

Quote:

Old 11-26-2021, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Missed some?
Hahahaha. I thought the same thing.
Old 11-26-2021, 06:12 PM

Quote:

got this call today as well,it was a recording
Old 11-26-2021, 06:15 PM

Never hit any number to talk to anyone from a threat call, they can change the recording to say 'If you consent to us charging you $49.99 per minute press 1, and they have your consent. Old scam hard to get out of.

Old 11-26-2021, 06:59 PM

Scams are not new. Unwanted calls are not new. Call control blocks both wanted and unwanted calls (yes it does prevent friendly calls from coming through). When West Jet calls, hang up. When CRA calls, hang up. If someone tells you they can make you rich, walk away. Do not let anyone gain remote access to your computer. Etc etc.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-26-2021, 08:16 PM

Quote:

I got two of those calls. I told them it was a bomb and that if they want me, come get me....i love those calls.
Old 11-27-2021, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Scams are not new. Unwanted calls are not new. Call control blocks both wanted and unwanted calls (yes it does prevent friendly calls from coming through). When West Jet calls, hang up. When CRA calls, hang up. If someone tells you they can make you rich, walk away. Do not let anyone gain remote access to your computer. Etc etc.
Any friendly calls it says 'this customer has call control, press 3 to put the call through'

It does not block friendly calls, unless the friends are using robo-dialers

Old 11-27-2021, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Any friendly calls it says 'this customer has call control, press 3 to put the call through'

It does not block friendly calls, unless the friends are using robo-dialers
^^^This! Also have call control on my land line (I know---who has one of those anymore? Ha Ha. Also, you can set it up to have a list of trusted numbers that bypass the call control.
Old 11-27-2021, 04:37 PM

Default if something sounds too good to be true, it likely is

another case of if something sounds too good to be true, it likely is...

Quote:
Cryptocurrency crooks target Vancouver Island residents, locals lose millions
The victims got dividends for a period of time, but their accounts were also drained.

Author of the article:Jeff Bell • Victoria Times Colonist
Publishing date:Nov 27, 2021 • 2 hours ago • 2 minute read • Join the conversation
FILE PHOTO: A representation of the virtual cryptocurrency Bitcoin
PHOTO BY EDGAR SU/REUTERS FILES
Article content
Just weeks after Saanich police reported that cryptocurrency frauds had cost local victims $1.4 million, Comox Valley RCMP say they’re investigating similar frauds with reported losses of more than $1 million.

Article content
Cryptocurrency is a term for digital currencies such as bitcoin.

What is Bitcoin mining?

In two Comox Valley cases, victims were phoned and presented with an opportunity to invest money in return for dividends. The victims gave the scammers access to their personal computers to create trading accounts on a particular platform, but the con artists also used the access to collect personal information.

The victims got dividends for a period of time, but their accounts were also drained.

Other victims wanting to invest in cryptocurrency clicked on Facebook advertisements for cryptocurrency brokers, then transferred money to the brokers and were shown online reports suggestng their investments were doing well. The brokers then encouraged the victims to invest more money, before cutting off communication.

Article content
The victims could not access their money after that.

“Once you’ve taken your money from the bank and transferred it elsewhere, you are responsible for where it goes and who is able to access it,” said Const. Monika Terragni, who urged people to take the time to know where their money is going. “Don’t get lured in by fancy websites, online advertisements or unexpected phone calls.”

Saanich police said such cases can be hard to investigate, since they tend to include several layers of fraud and frequently involve scammers based overseas. In addition, the scammers’ methods continue to evolve.

Comox Valley RCMP offered these tips for protecting yourself from this type of fraud:

• Be wary of online and social-media advertisements and be suspicious if you are contacted out of the blue about an investment.

• Do your research and note that scammers will often try to rush you into a decision. Ensure that you are using legitimate *services.

• Never give anyone remote access to your computer to *create accounts.

• Remember that if something sounds too good to be true, it likely is.

• More information is available on the RCMP cybersafety web page at rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/cyber-safety.