Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-23-2021, 07:36 AM

Default First brisket questions

Got the craving to try smoking a brisket so I picked up a 14 lber at costco yesterday. I read an earlier thread on here about the subject and got lots of good ideas. I've got an electric Masterbuilt smoker and have lots of experience making smokies, jerky and pepperoni.

Some questions I have are how long approximately would it take to get to the initial 160F ? And from there til the 205F mark ? Just trying to figure out a timeline on what time to get started for a 4pm meal.

Thank for any help
Old 11-23-2021, 08:11 AM

Are you going to wtap it? That'll take off a few hours.I'd probably put it on at 10 the night before to have a bit of leeway. Make sure you have a good wireless thermometer so you're not opening it all the time.
I use Meathead Goldwyns technique from Amazing Ribs, it's got a good step by step guide.
Old 11-23-2021, 08:13 AM

A 14 pound brisket is a decent size. I smoke around 180 until bark sets which is in the neighbourhood of the 160 you mention but it’s not a sure thing at 160. It may be 152 or 162 for example. I also spritz with apple juice every hour or so too. Once you wrap at 160ish I finish it at 250-325 depending on timing. I think I’ve had one brisket go beyond 205. Most are ready about 203. When your meat probe goes in and out easily with no “pull” it’s ready to rest for an hour. All my big briskets have been in the 12-16 hour range. The stall is different on each one and largely dependant on how much you trim.

Honestly, put it on at midnight before you go to sleep. That should have you eating around 5. It’s really hard to rush a brisket to finish (it’s easier once it’s wrapped). However it’s easy to hold a brisket that’s done 3 hours early at temp, especially if it’s wrapped.

Last edited by HyperMOA; 11-23-2021 at 08:23 AM.
Old 11-23-2021, 08:14 AM

I use Franklin BBQ's method. (Aaron Franklin) You can google and get some of his videos which in my opinion are very thorough and easy to understand. He also has a tutorial you can purchase but in my opinion the videos he has put out pretty much cover it all.

Enjoy your brisket!!
Old 11-23-2021, 08:27 AM

The biggest thing is the rest. The longer it rests the better. So make sure you add in a decent rest time into your calculation. Like somebody said, start at midnight. When it’s done, I “burp” it by taking the wrap off for about 15mins or so. Re-wrap it and toss it in a cooler with a bunch of old blankets and towels. I let it drop down to about 160 before I slice it.

And don’t wrap till you get the bark you want, not at a certain temp. If the bark doesn’t scrape off with your fingernail it’s time to wrap.

Last edited by tbiddy; 11-23-2021 at 08:33 AM.
Old 11-23-2021, 08:28 AM

I have cooked brisket around 200-215 degrees at 1 HOUR 15 min per pound on my masterbuild smoker. The last hour or so i will wrap it

Quote:
I use Franklin BBQ's method. (Aaron Franklin) You can google and get some of his videos which in my opinion are very thorough and easy to understand. He also has a tutorial you can purchase but in my opinion the videos he has put out pretty much cover it all.
I also thought he had some good info on how to .
Old 11-23-2021, 09:02 AM

I have smoked to 160* wrapped up put in the oven at 250* until internal hits 200* unwrap back in the smoker till 205* rewrap in foil with towels in a cooler until 160* then slice.

The smoke can't penetrate the foil the oven knocks off a few hours of cook time.
Old 11-23-2021, 10:04 AM

Question for the brisket guys.
Why is a brisket done to 205*. When there was a conversation about beef roast I said I do a nice marbled roast to 165 and I got completely annihilated for going that well done. Just curious what’s so different in a brisket cut that it’ll withstand the higher finish temperature.
Old 11-23-2021, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204ruger View Post
Why is a brisket done to 205*. When there was a conversation about beef roast I said I do a nice marbled roast to 165 and I got completely annihilated for going that well done. Just curious what’s so different in a brisket cut that it’ll withstand the higher finish temperature.
More fat on brisket, really tough if correct temp not hit. Fat breaks down at higher temp and tastes really good.
Old 11-23-2021, 05:47 PM

I usually plan on it being a 12 hour cook, and that includes a couple hours resting.
Old 11-23-2021, 05:58 PM

I did another one last week, by no means am I an expert on briskets but every one has enjoyed them. I marinate mine in red wine for 3-4 days. Then take out night before pat dry and trim a little acsess fat. Then dry rub let sit over night and put in smoker at 200 till it hits 165 take out wrap in non wax butcher paper put back in at 225 till it hits 203. Take it out wrap in two towels put it in a cooler and let it rest for 6-8 hours. Have let them rest for an 1 hour and they are really good but I do find the longer they rest the better in my limited experience!
Old 11-23-2021, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204ruger View Post
You need to get to that temp to break down the collagen and the fats. And that’s just a ballpark. It’s done when it’s prove temp not at a certain temp. If you eat a slice of brisket and it’s dry it’s probably cause its undercooked. If it’s overcooked it’ll kind of just fall apart. If the restaurant is giving you thick slices of brisket it’s because it’s over and if they cut it the standard pencil thickness it would fall apart.
Old 11-23-2021, 07:45 PM

I trim my brisket to around 1/4” fat. Score it against the grain so I know which way to slice when it’s done. I fall in the simpler is better crowd and only use kosher salt black pepper and paprika for seasoning. Trim and season the night before. I too have a master built electrical smoker. I’ve been using mesquite wood chips but am going to switch it up to pecan here which is more of a Texas flavor. Anyhow I set my smoker to about 250-260, fill the water pan and add the meat fat side down. Every 30 min I put new chips in for smoke. I hit it with smoke for 4-5 hours and then wrap in foil and put in the oven at 200 to finish. Finish temp i shoot for is 200-205. Once it hits that i wrap in towels and let rest for at least an hour in my yeti. Last one i did had a cook time around 8 hours. It was a little over done as it just fell apart. Sure was tasty though. I find if I don’t wrap in foil the edges dry out. I also find after it’s had smoke for 4-5 hours it’s taken on all its going too and I’m just wasting chips. Finishing in the oven gives me a chance to start cleaning my smoker. I as others am no expert though.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:21 PM

Don’t know if I should create my own thread but figured I’d ask here first has anyone tried a moose brisket before? How did it turn out if you did?
Old 11-23-2021, 10:19 PM

I haven’t done moose brisket but did an elk brisket a couple of weeks ago, but not on the smoker. Braised it for 6.5 hours at 250 in a chipotle beer mixture and it turned out excellent. I would be leery of smoking a moose or elk brisket given the relative lack of fat but would be interested if others have had any success.
Old 11-23-2021, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWD View Post
I haven’t done moose brisket but did an elk brisket a couple of weeks ago, but not on the smoker. Braised it for 6.5 hours at 250 in a chipotle beer mixture and it turned out excellent. I would be leery of smoking a moose or elk brisket given the relative lack of fat but would be interested if others have had any success.
This is gospel. Not enough fat, collagens and tissue on wild game.
Old 11-24-2021, 05:59 AM

Thank you everyone for the tips and suggestions. I bought a bluetooth thermometer form Amazon yesterday. I'm going to do the Brisket on Sunday and I'll update how it turned out

One more question: If it is done way ahead of time how does everyone warm up their brisket without drying it out ?

Last edited by newdrenalin; 11-24-2021 at 06:03 AM. Reason: adding to it
Old 11-24-2021, 07:03 AM

If you're leaving a remote thermometer in the meat to let you know when it's done, put it in the thinnest part of the brisket. If you put it in the thickest part then the rest of the meat will be overdone.
Old 11-24-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdrenalin View Post
Thank you everyone for the tips and suggestions. I bought a bluetooth thermometer form Amazon yesterday. I'm going to do the Brisket on Sunday and I'll update how it turned out

One more question: If it is done way ahead of time how does everyone warm up their brisket without drying it out ?
Take a cooler and heat it up with boiling water. Dump the water, and fill it with blankets and towels. Put the wrapped brisket in there covered with the towels with a leave in thermometer. Don’t open the lid or let the brisket get below 140. If done right it can stay warm in the cooler for 8hrs or more. You want the long rest anyways. IMO the longer the better. If you have an oven with a warming feature (below 170) you can keep it in there too.

Like I said previously, let it sit on the counter for about 15 minutes unwrapped so it doesn’t keep cooking. Wrap it up and throw it in the cooler.
Old 11-24-2021, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpohlic View Post
If you're leaving a remote thermometer in the meat to let you know when it's done, put it in the thinnest part of the brisket. If you put it in the thickest part then the rest of the meat will be overdone.
I’m not saying you are wrong, I just do it differently. If you measure the thin areas the thick areas will not be fully rendered and tough. I use a probe in the thickest part until about 201. Then I use a thermometer to probe test it. Always in the thickest area. Once the thickest part is probe tender the thin parts tend to have turned into burnt-ends. You know, the candy of the brisket. Just my way of doing things.
Old 11-24-2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdrenalin View Post
How does everyone warm up their brisket without it drying out.
Leave it wrapped and in the smoker on its lowest setting. Most will go down to 150-170. I’ve never “burped” my wrap before. I’m gonna try that on the next one. Thinking about it, it allows a bunch of steam out and probably allows the bark to set up nicely. I’ll give it a go next time.

Also, for leftovers it’s great in chili, nachoes, “corned beef hash”, cold sandwiches, and several others. To reheat brisket I use a steamer basket. It works quite well.

Last edited by HyperMOA; 11-24-2021 at 10:23 AM.
Old 11-24-2021, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
Take a cooler and heat it up with boiling water. Dump the water, and fill it with blankets and towels. Put the wrapped brisket in there covered with the towels with a leave in thermometer. Don’t open the lid or let the brisket get below 140. If done right it can stay warm in the cooler for 8hrs or more. You want the long rest anyways. IMO the longer the better. If you have an oven with a warming feature (below 170) you can keep it in there too.

Like I said previously, let it sit on the counter for about 15 minutes unwrapped so it doesn’t keep cooking. Wrap it up and throw it in the cooler.
This^^^^
Old 11-24-2021, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
I’m not saying you are wrong, I just do it differently. If you measure the thin areas the thick areas will not be fully rendered and tough. I use a probe in the thickest part until about 201. Then I use a thermometer to probe test it. Always in the thickest area. Once the thickest part is probe tender the thin parts tend to have turned into burnt-ends. You know, the candy of the brisket. Just my way of doing things.
I should have clarified that the thicker portion would need more time. I'm not a huge fan of burnt ends so I usually cut the thinner portion off when it's done and leave the rest in the smoker to finish.
Old 11-24-2021, 12:11 PM
AO Sponsor

Ahhhhhh Brisket!!! Asking advice for brisket cooking advice is akin to asking which rifle is best! haha! Love it!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 11-24-2021, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Ahhhhhh Brisket!!! Asking advice for brisket cooking advice is akin to asking which rifle is best! haha! Love it!
Hahahahahaha... no kidding, just don't want to @&#$ it up

Was just in a reputable sausage making shop looking for un waxed butcher papaer and they told me it was alright to use the waxed stuff ( eye roll )
Old 11-24-2021, 12:31 PM

It also depends on the brisket you are cooking. I had one that was much
thicker on on side then the other and i got busy so i neglected to wrap it. and the thin side dried out more than i would have liked. keep an eye on it throughout the cooking process and make changes when necessary
Old 11-24-2021, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
That isn't quite true Bob. Its akin to asking what rifle is best, with what caliber, with what powder, what bullet construction, what brass, what primer, and what magnification power on the scope for a given animal at a given humidity, at a given time.

Old 11-24-2021, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpohlic View Post
I should have clarified that the thicker portion would need more time. I'm not a huge fan of burnt ends so I usually cut the thinner portion off when it's done and leave the rest in the smoker to finish.
Perfect! Like I said, I don't think you are wrong, I just didn't want him to have underdone brisket.

Don't like burnt-ends???!?!!!? He's a witch, I think we should burn him!!!
Old 11-24-2021, 01:40 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
That isn't quite true Bob. Its akin to asking what rifle is best, with what caliber, with what powder, what bullet construction, what brass, what primer, and what magnification power on the scope for a given animal at a given humidity, at a given time.

Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 11-27-2021, 01:14 PM

I tend to smoke my briskets at a low temp for 4-6 hours, then finish cooking in the oven at 225 in a roaster filled with apple juice.

Guga Foods on youtube has videos showing how to cook a brisket in the smoker and then steam it. He has a video on steaming it in beer, and one in red wine. Seemed to be pretty good by the reactions.

I'd say that Guga's 2 channels on youtube are a must watch for anyone wanting to cook meat.