Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-25-2021, 05:44 PM

David Suzuki is pandering to the Executives at CBC who have an Agenda to advance for their friends who support the Liberals in Ottawa.

Biggest mistake PM Harper ever made was backing down on privatizing the CBC.

Instead, the Liberals have parked a bunch of cronies at the CBC who just happen to have ties to big Campaign contributors of the Liberal party.

This is a win - win for the Liberals. They control the narrative and they get free publicity on the tax payers dime. No contradictory story is ever aired.

Don't worry, there will be no fallout for Suzuki for his actions.
The execs will drink champagne with him and curse Alberta all the same, all the while collecting big salaries for mediocre television.

Drewski
Old 11-25-2021, 08:21 PM
Banned

Old 11-26-2021, 01:21 AM

An appropriate response to anything that comes out of Suzukis mouth:

Couldn’t care less

The Amazon River runs for thousands of miles. At some points it runs through areas of the rain forest that are almost untouched, and barely explored. Because of porous limestone in these areas, the water leaks through the stone and travels deep into the earth, forming underground pools almost a mile below the surface. Over thousands of years, small, blind transparent fish have lived and evolved in these pools. These fish have never seen the sun or surface and have never been seen by the human eye. These fish care more about what this man says than I do.
Old 11-26-2021, 06:42 AM

Just a small note on how green he was way back when. I remember in the mid and late seventies when Him and his buddies from the Simon Frazer University Corvette Club used to come up to Kelowna and run the Knox Mountain Hill Climb in their energy efficient Corvettes. So maybe he is a hypocrite or maybe a switched got turned.

Either way he is an idiot and just like sock boy you can do anything you want just apologize and you're back in the good books.
Old 11-26-2021, 07:34 AM

Remember Ludwig?
It can and will happen again.
A reminder gets everyone shorts in a knot.
I was the lead operator in US owned gas plant threatened as a result of
nuclear tests in Alaska. It was a spooky 12 hours.
https://nationalinterest.org/blog/th...d-alaska-21564

The oil industry has largely de-peopled field operations leaving many installations not observed for days or even months. Every one of those installations could be targeted.

I find Kenneys/Nixon’s statements strange as they both appear out of touch with history and oil industry activities.

Don
Old 11-26-2021, 07:45 AM

I think we all forget that he's a very old man and will leave this earth sooner rather than later. He's so old Atleast we don't have to worry about a " comeback" tour.

And when that day comes. I'm having a bbq
Old 11-26-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
David Suzuki is pandering to the Executives at CBC who have an Agenda to advance for their friends who support the Liberals in Ottawa.

Instead, the Liberals have parked a bunch of cronies at the CBC who just happen to have ties to big Campaign contributors of the Liberal party.

This is a win - win for the Liberals. They control the narrative and they get free publicity on the tax payers dime. No contradictory story is ever aired.

The execs will drink champagne with him and curse Alberta all the same, all the while collecting big salaries for mediocre television.

Drewski
He’s in the woke communist crowd. Some pigs will always be more “equal” than others. How many upscale houses/cars does this clown own again? More or less than Castro Jr?
Old 11-26-2021, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Remember Ludwig?
It can and will happen again.
A reminder gets everyone shorts in a knot.
I was the lead operator in US owned gas plant threatened as a result of
nuclear tests in Alaska. It was a spooky 12 hours.
https://nationalinterest.org/blog/th...d-alaska-21564

The oil industry has largely de-peopled field operations leaving many installations not observed for days or even months. Every one of those installations could be targeted.

I find Kenneys/Nixon’s statements strange as they both appear out of touch with history and oil industry activities.

Don
Careful, acknowledging vulnerabilities might bring you under suspicion.
Old 11-26-2021, 08:25 AM

Quote:

Drewski
Suzuki was relevant at one time, about 30 years ago. Right now, even the Suzuki Foundation has backed away from him.

One of the reasons I am against changing the CBC is that there is no similar programming in Canada. I like "Quirks and Quarks", which I think was actually started by Suzuki, and "White Coat Black Art" is informative and entertaining. I don't make a point of listening but when I run into it, I don't find "The House" to be biased towards the current government.

In short, CBC Radio provides programs that exist nowhere else in Canada, that I can find, and seems to be quite neutral politically.

I have to admit that I cannot remember the last time I watched a news program on CBC television so I have no comment on possible bias.

My main objection to current media is that they conflate news reporting with opinion presentation. "Just the facts, Ma'am," as Jack Webb used to say. That might be going a bit too far, but let's separate the news from the editorials.

Last edited by sk270; 11-26-2021 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11-26-2021, 08:42 AM

QUITE NEUTRAL POLITICALLY??????

When over 100,000 jobs where lost in Western Canada's oil industry, where was the CBC reporting on the destruction of people's lives and the loss of businesses that people had spent their whole lifetime building up?

Now when a pipeline protest group calls CBC that there will be a protest on some street in Vancouver, notice how the CBC has the cameras set up with reporters and interviews with the protesters?

Notice how when an Indian Band blocked a railway for 6 weeks the CBC said nothing about the Mohawk Band Police refusing to enforce a Court Injunction? That's right, a POLICE FORCE SWORN TO UPHOLD THE LAW.

Notice how a so called pipeline protest by hereditary chiefs claiming sovereignty over 20 elected band councils the CBC minimized the interviews of Band Members who said the hereditary chiefs had no jurisdiction?

Maybe you were trying to be funny in your post that the CBC is Politically neutral. I hope so.

Drewski
Old 11-26-2021, 09:48 AM

Quote:
QUITE NEUTRAL POLITICALLY??????

Now when a pipeline protest group calls CBC that there will be a protest on some street in Vancouver, notice how the CBC has the cameras set up with reporters and interviews with the protesters?

Maybe you were trying to be funny in your post that the CBC is Politically neutral. I hope so.

Drewski
No need to shout.

It sounds like you are mostly talking about CBC television. I don't watch that, as I said in my post. I gather from comments on AO that their news is quite biased towards the left.

I was referring to CBC Radio and specific programs that no one else seems to produce. They had Rex Murphy hosting a program on Sunday afternoons for over 20 years. Do you think Rex Murphy is left wing?
Old 11-26-2021, 03:14 PM

Don't know if its relevant, but:

"The loudest one in the room is the weakest."
- An American Mafioso

Sorry, I don't remember where I found it online years ago, so I can't post a link.
Old 11-26-2021, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckincity View Post
Don't know if its relevant, but:

"The loudest one in the room is the weakest."
- An American Mafioso

Sorry, I don't remember where I found it online years ago, so I can't post a link.
Internet search

J.
Old 11-26-2021, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
Thank-you very much! I just couldn't remember.

I'm gonna bookmark it so I never forget again!

Its too true to be good!
Old 11-27-2021, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
An appropriate response to anything that comes out of Suzukis mouth:

Couldn’t care less
I agree with you but there are thousands of sheep out there that believe him and influenced by him.

He should be charged for what he said....IMHO.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 11-27-2021, 10:04 AM

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...canada-is-full

Nice to see some honesty on Suzuki

From 'Canada is full' to 'economists are brain damaged': David Suzuki's greatest hits
Despite his reputation as Canada’s leading environmental sage, it’s not all that unusual for Suzuki to say or do things that are insulting, hypocritical or straight-up incorrect

Author of the article:Tristin Hopper
Publishing date:Nov 27, 2021 • 4 hours ago • 5 minute read • 74 Comments
David Suzuki has made some questionable claims over the years.
David Suzuki has made some questionable claims over the years. PHOTO BY CHRIS YOUNG/THE CANADIAN PRESS/FILE

Former The Nature of Things host David Suzuki has apologized for saying that Canada risked inviting the wrath of enviro-terrorists if it didn’t immediately shut down its oil and gas infrastructure. Although it’s not like he had any shortage of prodding: Prime Minister Justin Trudeau called the comments “potentially dangerous,” B.C.’s public safety minister said they were “not helpful” and even Suzuki’s own eponymous foundation ultimately distanced themselves from their founder’s remarks. It was the David Suzuki Foundation, in fact, that ultimately brokered the Thursday statement containing his apology.

But despite his reputation as Canada’s leading environmentalist sage, it’s not all that unusual for the 85-year-old Suzuki to say or do things that are insulting, hypocritical or straight-up incorrect.

Defenders of the oil sector are morally equivalent to slave traders

In a 2015 radio interview, Suzuki said that the mere act of considering the economic impacts of climate change policy was equivalent to defending slavery. So, if you’re worried about how higher-priced heating oil will affect low-income families or just wondering how humanity could run global food systems without fossil fuels, you’re basically a cheerleader for human bondage. “It’s a moral issue. The issue of climate change is not an economic issue,” Suzuki said.

At the time, then-Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall was warning that green policies designed to limit oil production would incur a cost in terms of jobs and missed government revenue. To which Suzuki replied , “It sounds very much to me like the Southern states argued in the 19th century, that to eliminate slavery would destroy their economy.”

Fukushima would require the “evacuation” of the North American West Coast

Despite being the worst nuclear crisis since Chernobyl, the 2011 Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster was ultimately contained before it could cause more than a handful of deaths and injuries. But in a worst case scenario there were briefly fears that a significant release of radioactive material would require the evacuation of more than 10 million Japanese living in the urban areas surrounding the plant.

Given the above, Suzuki wasn’t even close to the truth when he claimed at a 2015 event that a full-scale meltdown at Fukushima would have wiped Japan from the map and required the evacuation of the “West Coast of North America.” What’s more, Suzuki claimed he read this doomsday scenario in “a paper” (no such paper exists).

In the words of an actual nuclear physicist contacted at the time about the claim, “I’m sorry, but that is ridiculous.”

Economists are brain damaged

A favourite Suzuki anecdote — repeated often in his speeches and documentary appearances — is that one of the core tenets of economics is that environmental damage is irrelevant. “The economists say if you clearcut the forest, take the money and put it in the bank you can make six or seven per cent … so who cares whether you keep the forest?” Suzuki said in a 2011 documentary entitled Surviving Progress. He also called economics a “form of brain damage.”

In truth, economists are at the centre of many of the most well-known environmental public policy tools, including carbon taxes. It was an English economist — Arthur Pigou — who first pioneered the idea that polluters should be held financially responsible for profiting off activities that impose pollution, or a degraded environment, on others.

Plenty of actual economists have tried to enlighten Suzuki to this fact, including Andrew Leach, the University of Alberta economist who helped devise the province’s NDP-introduced carbon tax. Suzuki ignored him .

Suzuki is usually quick with a “f— off” when encountering a political opponent (such as when he met Vivian Krause , a noted critic of environmental non-profits). But it’s a not-uncommon experience for flight attendants, camera crews, photographers and others to be on the receiving end of a similarly surly encounter.

Postmedia reporter (and frequent Suzuki critic) Licia Corbella has made it as a point to compile a few of the best examples that readers have sent her over the years, including a member of a TV crew that said Suzuki opted to take a limousine to a shoot rather than ride in the crew van with them. (Corbella herself was hit with a “f— off” in the late 1980s after approaching Suzuki for an interview at a music festival.)

‘Canada is full’

In a 2013 interview with France’s L’Express, Suzuki was asked about an anti-immigration bent among the Australian environmental movement. To which he replied , “Oh, I think that Canada is full too! Even if it’s the second biggest country in the world, our usable land is reduced.”

Although Suzuki conceded that Canada could still let in refugees, he expressed revulsion at the notion of people from the developing world immigrating here as economic migrants. “Our immigration policy is enough to make you sick: we pillage the countries of the south by depriving them of their future professionals and we want to increase our population to help our economy grow. It’s crazy!”

Owning a multi-million dollar international real estate portfolio

Owning multiple properties is not unusual for a Canadian public figure whose speeches typically pull in between $30,000 and $50,000 a pop. So it’s only notable for Suzuki because he often preaches the virtues of minimalism. At the same event where he said pipelines would be “blown up,” in fact, Suzuki said Canadians should shed imported food from their diets. “We’re a northern country, why the hell are we able to buy fresh tomatoes and lettuce and fresh fruit 12 months a year?” he said.

As of the last count of his Canadian properties , Suzuki has two homes in Vancouver’s tony West End, as well as property on two Strait of Georgia islands accessible only via float plane or diesel-burning ferries. Of his main home in Kitsilano, Suzuki has reported the “ gas stove ” (which is of course fuelled by natural gas pipelines) as his favourite appliance. And in 2017, an article in The Guardian revealed that Suzuki owns a home in Port Douglas, Australia , roughly a 21-hour one-way flight from Vancouver.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-27-2021, 06:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
I agree with you but there are thousands of sheep out there that believe him and influenced by him.

He should be charged for what he said....IMHO.
OMG, I started to file an online crime report to the RCMP 2 days ago. After 10 minutes of trying to fill out the dubious questions, my head started to hurt. So, I tapped out
Old 11-30-2021, 04:27 PM
Banned

Thumbs up