Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-20-2021, 09:09 AM

Default Trawlers/another Great Family Restaurant Closes YYC.

"Trawlers Seafood Kitchen CLOSED for business. We are truly grateful for all your support over the last 20 years. Thank you for everything!"

Best fish and chips in and around Calgary-family owned and our own family has been patronizing "Boyds" (Trawlers) for 30 years.

Bit of a shock showing up last night to see it dark and shuttered, hope Vicky and Gus are ok (if any one on here knows)?

Just goes to show, a person can't take anything for granted in these crazy times ;-(

Creeky....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 11-20-2021, 09:39 AM

Another big chain restaurant put a space for lease sign up in the small city I live in. Several are rebranding in hopes to stay afloat I would assume.
Problem with CEBA loans is that they have to be payed back as they are a loan not a gift.

One can only throw good money after bad for so long. Now with rising food prices due to inflation and carbon tax, less clientele due to authoritarian government mandates that eliminate clients, the clients that are allowed having to go through more steps and have the hassle of carrying a “passport”, then the extra cost of employing someone to screen your clients which makes you zero money but on top of paying the wage you have to pay WCB, tax and pay someone to do or do the payroll for yourself , then factor in rising utility rates thanks to Rachel Notley for electricity and Justin Trudeau for carbon tax on natural gas.
Then factor in getting people back through your doors after they were not allowed to be there for months a d the habits changed.
The lockdowns and politicians absolutely hammered restaurants.
To all restaurant owners I hope you stay strong and resilient my thoughts are with you.
Old 11-20-2021, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post
Another big chain restaurant put a space for lease sign up in the small city I live in. Several are rebranding in hopes to stay afloat I would assume.
Problem with CEBA loans is that they have to be payed back as they are a loan not a gift.

One can only throw good money after bad for so long. Now with rising food prices due to inflation and carbon tax, less clientele due to authoritarian government mandates that eliminate clients, the clients that are allowed having to go through more steps and have the hassle of carrying a “passport”, then the extra cost of employing someone to screen your clients which makes you zero money but on top of paying the wage you have to pay WCB, tax and pay someone to do or do the payroll for yourself , then factor in rising utility rates thanks to Rachel Notley for electricity and Justin Trudeau for carbon tax on natural gas.
Then factor in getting people back through your doors after they were not allowed to be there for months a d the habits changed.
To all restaurant owners I hope you stay strong and resilient my thoughts are with you.
You forgot the impossibly high business tax. Some of these restaurants are laying 70,000 a year in taxes alone.
Old 11-20-2021, 10:21 AM

Exclamation There will be more

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
You forgot the impossibly high business tax. Some of these restaurants are laying 70,000 a year in taxes alone.
That's chump change. A couple years back when Spendshi and crew were manipulating the tax base to protect their friends (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) real estate investments in the core, there were multiple stories about small businesses that were being assessed tax burdens over $100k.
IIRC one service industry business shared their city tax story: it went from $70ish k to over $200k in 2 or 3 tax years.
Personally, I don't know why anyone would want to open a business in this city, especially with the new crew recently voted in.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 11-20-2021, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Also the cost this spring where many invested in patio seating, then that changed then changed again. I am sure there is much more I’m not in the industry but want everyone that is reading this thread that owns a restaurant to know I’m thinking about you and the strain this must be taking on your mental health. Also there is no shame in closing the doors if you have too it’s not your fault you made a business plan and then the government changed the game.
If you have to walk away do it with your head held high knowing many are proud of you for holding on as long as you did after the chips got stacked against you.
Old 11-20-2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post

surprisingly i been seeing alot more new convenience stores opening since the covid .
Old 11-20-2021, 01:39 PM

Restaurants have a high mortality rate, I was always told, 90 % of small businesses go broke within a year and most of those are restaurants. Too many people thinking they can run a business, just because they know how to cook, I watch one location in downtown Olds change regularly, it seems there is always another sucker ready to take a kick at the can.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 11-20-2021, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Restaurants have a high mortality rate, I was always told, 90 % of small businesses go broke within a year and most of those are restaurants. Too many people thinking they can run a business, just because they know how to cook, I watch one location in downtown Olds change regularly, it seems there is always another sucker ready to take a kick at the can.

Grizz
It’s true restaurants go broke a lot. This was one that’s been around for 20 years, that’s not cool.
Old 11-21-2021, 07:34 AM

Quote:
It’s true restaurants go broke a lot. This was one that’s been around for 20 years, that’s not cool.
It was called Boyds then Vicki and Gus bought it and named it Trawlers. Boyds owner is next door still selling seafood-so its been about 30yrs as a fish and chip shop. Like you say "not cool".

Creeky....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 11-21-2021, 07:45 AM

In today's age of Covid lockdowns, I'm not sure if there would be a tougher business to own than a restaurant.
Old 11-21-2021, 08:10 AM

There will be many more closing down in the next year or two.
Old 11-21-2021, 08:16 AM

That was a great place to go!! Always consistent great food. Sad.
Old 11-21-2021, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
In today's age of Covid lockdowns, I'm not sure if there would be a tougher business to own than a restaurant.
This ^^

A very tough industry to start without the ups and downs do to Covid. I feel bad for anyone trying to keep a float
Old 11-21-2021, 08:41 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Dog eat dog world out there but some seem to just change things up a bit during lean times showing what true entrepreneurs can do.

One of my favourite places has changed hands sooooo many times and closed and opened and went to take out etc but I guess eventually you get tired of it and that’s what retiring is.

https://www.fannybaypub.com/

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-21-2021, 08:52 AM

Quote:
True, and add to that the blood sucking vampires that are Skip the Dishes, Uber etc and it is no wonder good restaurants can't survive. When the delivery service takes 35-45% of the total bill as their fee, and charges the customer another 5-10 bucks, how the heck can a restaurateur even stay open. there have been a ton of places close or change hands in Edmonton too, and I don't see that slowing down any. With food prices rising so quickly, property taxes increasing, help hard to find, and people having less money to spend their lot is going to get a bunch worse.
Old 11-21-2021, 09:35 AM

Back in 86 when it was Boyds, I went for lunch and the special was Digby Fried Clams. Was so good I grabbed a styrofoam packed take-out order of the same. I was working a 12 hour overnight shift at a factory starting at 7pm. Summertime and I had forgot my lunch in my truck. About midnight I remembered and ran out and grabbed it. Was so hungry I took a chance.

Last thing I remember was losing consciousness and ****ting myself on the Deerfoot.
Totally my fault, but had not been back since and I used to go twice a week
Old 11-21-2021, 09:51 AM

Terrible news. They're very close to my place. Almost always got the fried oysters and chips. Sad to see it go.
Old 11-21-2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
True, and add to that the blood sucking vampires that are Skip the Dishes, Uber etc and it is no wonder good restaurants can't survive. When the delivery service takes 35-45% of the total bill as their fee, and charges the customer another 5-10 bucks, how the heck can a restaurateur even stay open. there have been a ton of places close or change hands in Edmonton too, and I don't see that slowing down any. With food prices rising so quickly, property taxes increasing, help hard to find, and people having less money to spend their lot is going to get a bunch worse.

Good and troubling points-we generally ate peak times Friday and Saturdays witnessing a revolving door of different Skip the Dishes drivers. Understandably owners had a huge issue on that 35-45% rip.

Years back they had their own delivery driver, quit rather than cope with predatory STDishes red tape/barely make a buck.

Creeky....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 11-21-2021, 10:10 AM

Quote:
X2, and the competition is lethal.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 11-21-2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeky View Post
Good and troubling points-we generally ate peak times Friday and Saturdays witnessing a revolving door of different Skip the Dishes drivers. Understandably owners had a huge issue on that 35-45% rip.

Years back they had their own delivery driver, quit rather than cope with predatory STDishes red tape/barely make a buck.

Creeky....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ya skip sounds like it’s expensive. But there is no way for any restaurant to manage the peaks and lulls of delivery. It’s either have a bunch of drivers standing by and getting paid for just waiting or not having anyone to deliver.

I think skip is brilliant and if I was in a delivery situation I’d rely on them.
I might be tempted to get to know some of those drivers on a first name basis and even get their cell numbers
Old 11-21-2021, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post

Grizz
Ya, there’s a place that would really suck to open any buisness in. Unless your a large chain owner or a Richardson, forget it. Retirement place for farmers
Old 11-21-2021, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Ya skip sounds like it’s expensive. But there is no way for any restaurant to manage the peaks and lulls of delivery. It’s either have a bunch of drivers standing by and getting paid for just waiting or not having anyone to deliver.

I think skip is brilliant and if I was in a delivery situation I’d rely on them.
I might be tempted to get to know some of those drivers on a first name basis and even get their cell numbers
Given your name I presume you are in the business. You have to know there is nowhere near 40% margin on most dishes. You cannot charge a higher menu price for stuff sold on Skip or Uber, according to their contracts, so in store diners are now paying the same severely escalated prices as the delivery model. If restaurants were smart they would be offering 15% discount for eat in, 25% discount for self pickup. If they don't get control of their menus and selling prices back they will all end up out of business because their prices are too high. It would be cheaper to pay a Cab to deliver the food for any order over 40 bucks.
Old 11-21-2021, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Given your name I presume you are in the business. You have to know there is nowhere near 40% margin on most dishes. You cannot charge a higher menu price for stuff sold on Skip or Uber, according to their contracts, so in store diners are now paying the same severely escalated prices as the delivery model. If restaurants were smart they would be offering 15% discount for eat in, 25% discount for self pickup. If they don't get control of their menus and selling prices back they will all end up out of business because their prices are too high. It would be cheaper to pay a Cab to deliver the food for any order over 40 bucks.
Most restaurants would like to have a 30% cost of food. So $3.00 raw product sells for $ 10.00. If they can manage 25% they’re very happy. Incidentally Chinese food and Indian food is some of the cheapest to produce as far as food cost.

I agree “if” I was in a place that delivered I’d definitely offer a discount for pick up. But I think society has changed and people seriously don’t want to leave their houses to go pick up food. Take out places that don’t use skip are seriously restricting their own sales.

It kind of baffles me, this ordering out idea… I like to sit down and have fresh food, not eat soggy food out of styrofoam. We get take out maybe 2x a year.
Old 11-21-2021, 11:52 AM

Thumbs down Skip the Dishes? Uber Eats?

Due to allergies, there was a short list of quality restaurants we would frequent. Then we got tired of paying inflated prices for barely mediocre food so the establishment could support those 2 parasites. We don't patronize those restaurants any more.
Maybe they should concentrate on improving food quality and perceived value to retain their loyal customers instead of paying to cater to the lowest common denominator.
Or not, maybe we are an anomaly to the food service industry?

ETA- My comments are not directed at Trawlers, I have no experience with that establishment. It is a general observation of the industry at large.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 11-21-2021, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
Due to allergies, there was a short list of quality restaurants we would frequent. Then we got tired of paying inflated prices for barely mediocre food so the establishment could support those 2 parasites. We don't patronize those restaurants any more.
Maybe they should concentrate on improving food quality and perceived value to retain their loyal customers instead of paying to cater to the lowest common denominator.

ETA- My comments are not directed at Trawlers, I have no experience with that establishment. It is a general observation of the industry at large.
CC. I agree. Takeout makes no sense to me. I want my food hot and fresh. If I could only do take out I would never eat restaurant food. As far as restaurants having to use Uber, I never understood the idea of losing a nickle and orange and trying to make it up on volume. They are playing a mugs game and being played for fools. This will eventually bankrupt a huge number of restaurants. Far better off at lower volume than giving 120% of your gross margin to Uber, forget about profit.

UR

I don't think you are an anomaly, I feel the same way, but we sure aren't the majority anymore. Like u there are fewer and fewer restaurants that I patronize due to deteriorated food quality. I am willing to pay the higher prices, but certainly not when they let their quality go downhill. Great restaurants were always kind of rare, now they are really hard to find. Still love Nellos in St Albert, Tony's Pizza, Little Bee Hong Kong Cafe, Out of Bounds restaurant and the like but have quit going to at least a dozen that used to be really good and aren't anymore.

Last edited by Dean2; 11-21-2021 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-21-2021, 12:19 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Back in 86 when it was Boyds, I went for lunch and the special was Digby Fried Clams. Was so good I grabbed a styrofoam packed take-out order of the same. I was working a 12 hour overnight shift at a factory starting at 7pm. Summertime and I had forgot my lunch in my truck. About midnight I remembered and ran out and grabbed it. Was so hungry I took a chance.

Last thing I remember was losing consciousness and ****ting myself on the Deerfoot.
Totally my fault, but had not been back since and I used to go twice a week
no wonder ya got the squirts and passed out Digby is in Nova Scotia and if you eat anything remotely claiming to be from Digby in western Canada well ya take your chances...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-21-2021, 12:40 PM

https://albertahospitalityassociatio...onsor-partner/
Old 11-21-2021, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
What a GRATE bunch of guys. Their philanthropy and good will to men knows no bounds. Jeez Louise!
Old 11-21-2021, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post

I can’t disagree about food quality. But you know what? Food places make what sells. High fat and salt, heaps of sugar, that’s what the “majority” of people want/crave.

We play the game when we’re going out….where can we eat that’s healthy? We usually come up empty. Indian food is good and “can” have some vegetables included but it’s always heavy on the deep fryer and high fat low protein. Sushi is ok but doesn’t to me with vegetables to speak of…and it’s just flavoured rice anyway. It’s extremely difficult to eat healthy other than at home.
Old 11-22-2021, 10:30 AM

Several restaurants have only been able to stay open due to the government subsidies through covid, once those go away, you will see lots of restaurants close. The number floating around the industry is about 30% will close.