Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-10-2021, 02:15 PM

Default Best Satellite Communication Device

I’m thinking it’s time for some form of satellite communication device like a Garmin InReach or Spot. I spend a ton of time alone out in the bush or on the river. A quick search turns up lots of options but I’m looking for some recent info since things in this field change all the time.

When I say “best” satellite communication device I’m meaning something that has ability to text when I’m out of cell service, can send a sos when needed and won’t break the bank in regards to subscription fees. Being able to connect to my I-phone 11 would be nice.

I can find some info online but it would be nice to hear from people who presently use a device like this and see what they like and what they would buy differently if doing it again.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-10-2021, 02:36 PM

I use the Spot X, mostly so I can keep in touch with my kids when I'm travelling. Had some camera problems one time and was able to resolve them using the device. Also enabled me to bitch about the price of sandwiches at Freeson brothers. Some people claim Inreach is superior and the Spot can be slow sending a message. Hopefully, I never have to test the SOS function., but you can have 2 way communication to describe your problem, not so with the simpler devices. Best part is I can disable it and not have to pay the subscription fee when I'm not using, 15. a month, makes it cheap insurance.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 11-10-2021, 02:37 PM

Have you looked at the Zoleo sat communicator?

I picked one up for sheep hunting this year and have been thoroughly impressed.

Costs me $26/month for 25 messages, each incoming or outgoing text counts towards the 25. The device has an iphone friendly app that you download and use via bluetooth, to send texts with your phone. If you text using the app, and the person you're sending the message to also has the app, you can use up to 1000 characters per text. You can also use this device without a phone to send an SOS or check-in that includes gps coordinates. It'd be hard to accidently activate the SOS button, which is also a feature I like. Battery life is also excellent, it can easily go a week without charging the battery.

I did quite a bit of research into satellite communicators and feel this was the best/cheapest option that suits my needs. The peace of mind is worth it
Old 11-10-2021, 03:45 PM

I have been carrying an inreach for a couple years now, have the explorer+ model. I generally carry a gps anyway so it’s a plus to have it in one piece of gear. I leave mine active year round on the basic plan and it’s only like $15 a month. You can also pay a little more and be able to stop and start the service any time. It is fairly easy to type on and can link to your phone via an app making it even easier. I’m not super fond of having to plug it in to charge instead of just swapping out batteries but the battery life is pretty good, I pulled mine out the other day after over a month in my pack powered on but in sleep mode and it still had some juice. I’m not sure if the other similar products can, but it’s also nice that the inreach devices can talk directly to each other, so if you’ve got others in your group who have one you can communicate anywhere.
Old 11-10-2021, 04:25 PM

Liking the zoleo so far. Seems to send and receive faster than the inreach I had previously. Downside is that you need the phone paired other than for sos. Was slightly cheaper on purchase price and monthly fee.
Old 11-10-2021, 05:05 PM

The basic plan for the inreach is cheaper than the zoleo. That does get you more messages each month. The inreach also allows you to pre program three messages that can be sent an unlimited number of times, so if you’re just doing a basic “I’m ok” check in you could use those.
Old 11-10-2021, 05:21 PM

Been liking my zoleo so far, but I did not have anything previous to compare it to.

Iphone is with me always for maps, so this was a great addition. Keeps the wife un stressed while I'm out hunting.
Old 11-10-2021, 07:15 PM

The Garmin Inreach uses the Iridium network, which is far superior to GlobalStar which is used by Spot. The nice thing about the Inreach over a Zoleo is it can be used without a phone if need be. I and many of my friends have used Inreach for many years and they work great.
Old 11-10-2021, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxz1997 View Post
The Garmin Inreach uses the Iridium network, which is far superior to GlobalStar which is used by Spot. The nice thing about the Inreach over a Zoleo is it can be used without a phone if need be. I and many of my friends have used Inreach for many years and they work great.
Sorry, I mistrust any device that has to be linked to a phone, one more thing to go wrong, you're relying on two devices to perform , instead of just one.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 11-10-2021, 08:56 PM

Question It's been a few years, still something to check

Have they solved the Inreach problem of sending false alarms? Although irritating, it would be less of an issue if you have 2 way communication enabled.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=368904

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 11-11-2021, 09:47 AM

I have a Garmin 66i with inReach.
I have had it for a year now, and the peace of mind it brings is totally worth it.
It can be connected to your phone, but it doesn't need to be connected to work.

I have the cheapest plan they offer ($15/month), and leave it running year round, so I never have to worry about forgetting to activate it.

With the cheapest plan you get unlimited pre-set messages and 10 other messages a month. any extra messages over are charged $0.75 per message.
The 3 plans are $15, $45, and $65 and offer 10, 40 or unlimited text messaging.
At $0.75 per text you could send 27 extra messages before reaching the $45 monthly price. or 67 messages before I get to the price of the unlimited plan.

I have my pre-set messages set to:
1)checking in, everything is ok / Still fishing/hunting.
2)The Car is Parked Here
3)We are headed back

When you send a text message, the GPS location that the message was sent from is also sent out with a little link that the receiver can click on and see your location on google maps.

With those 3 messages I can let loved ones know where I am and what I am up to without ever really needing to use actual text messages.
Letting them know where the car is parked, and then checking in a bit later gives my general direction of travel for the day. and heading back lets them know I'm somewhere between that point and the car. If something were to happen some time after sending a message they should have a much easier time finding my body. haha.

if a real emergency situation were to arise, and I had to use a pile of text messages and ended up paying a bunch for those messages, that is perfectly fine with me.

I found sending messages to telephone numbers in the unit worked better than email addresses. and the recipient can simply reply back to the text message if they need to. ...but let recipients know before hand that responding costs you a message as well.

Having a GPS and messenger as one unit to carry is nice.
As a GPS, its pretty mediocre. but, I find all GPS units I've tried to be mediocre. none of them have very good built in maps or satellite imaging. I tend to still cache google maps on my phone for that. I use the unit to mark things and draw a squiggly line of where I have been. One thing I do like is saving a days travels as an "activity" and I can log into my account on the computer later and see my track overlaid on satellite images where I walked for the day.
Old 11-11-2021, 09:49 AM
Banned

Garmin inreach all the way
I have the newest version so if your looking for a 66i or an explorer I have one of each for sale
Old 11-22-2021, 02:04 PM

Thanks for all the info gents. Much appreciated.