Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-19-2021, 11:51 AM

Default Auto insurance

I have a current policy of 6 years with Intact, no claims, one speeding ticket 2 years ago. Currently close to $2600/yr ( 22 years old male so insurance likes to bend us over and have at er, having a pickup truck doesn't help the situation much either )

I got an email from lakeland college (where I'm learning for my apprenticeship) saying that I couold get a preferred discount and got a quote online for about $1715/yr

My question is, how is TD insurance to deal with? I really like the idea of $800+ more in my pocket annually

I can't speak for how Intact is to deal with either so if anyone has info on either place it would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-19-2021, 11:53 AM

Looked back on the quoting website, I can add collision (don't have that with intact) and can still be saving $300/yr over the Intact policy. This deal is looking quite appealing for me
Old 10-19-2021, 01:34 PM

You definitely need to hear from guys in your age bracket to get solid information. I sympathize with you over the cost. Most of us on the forum can't provide the information you want because we are geezers and pay much less. We pay more for life insurance though
Old 10-19-2021, 01:41 PM

What I remember about TD Insurance is how they initially were denying claims during the 2013 Calgary Flood until some public outrage got them to change their minds. That's a public relations nightmare / dealmaker for an insurance company, and even though that's a long time ago and times have changed, I'd never consider TD Insurance even though I bank with them.
Old 10-19-2021, 01:46 PM

intact is terrible

try a few brokers and maybe royal bank

also SGI sask general
Old 10-19-2021, 01:49 PM

I am not with TD for one reason. Some people that I know have had nightmares when it comes to a claim.
not that I think any insurance companies are reputable these days.
Old 10-19-2021, 02:58 PM

Careful and check when researching especially the online companies. Many are just an arm of the big boys. Used to be in the insurance biz though not a broker and it was amazing how many times a broker got ripped up and people said they would never buy from company X again and are moving to company Y. Turns out Y is just the online wing of company X. Lol. There are many out there and they advertise a lot.
Old 10-19-2021, 03:05 PM

My BIL is with TD and will be leaving asap. Very long story but the jist was they were going to deny an animal hit claim from Sept long. It is just now being resolved.
We are with Intact. They have been very easy to deal with for anything we need. A couple small claims, no issues at all.
Old 10-19-2021, 03:47 PM

We've been with Intact for years. Only had one claim. Was a parking lot hit and run. Came out amd the car was over half a stall from where i parked it. Repair was about $4000. Phoned them up and told them were i wanted it done. It was done and back to me in less than a week. No hassles what so ever. They followed up to see that we were happy etc. Great service is why we keep our business there.
Old 10-19-2021, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
We've been with Intact for years. Only had one claim. Was a parking lot hit and run. Came out amd the car was over half a stall from where i parked it. Repair was about $4000. Phoned them up and told them were i wanted it done. It was done and back to me in less than a week. No hassles what so ever. They followed up to see that we were happy etc. Great service is why we keep our business there.
good point with the customer service aspect, I've been fortunate enough to never have to submit a claim.

What I am very tired of is paying 1/4 of the total value of my truck annually, I get that insurance also protects you from the other doofuses on the road but I think to have paid for my truck 1.5 times now with just insurance to be a little outrageous
Old 10-19-2021, 04:21 PM

I was with TD Insurance (Primmum) for 25+ years. Never moved as the rates were always close enough when I shopped it. Wife was in a not-her-fault accident. Everything was fine until they decided to write the vehicle off. Their offer was 25% below anything even remotely available in the market and they wouldn't budge period. Their resolution was to tell me to hire an arbitrator and they would honour the arbitrators decision. Trouble was all arbitrators are certified under the same guidelines so a different decision would not likely have been forthcoming. In the end, I took what they had offered and promptly moved my $9,500 in annual insurance premiums over to SGI. That was three years ago and I haven't looked back. Ended up with more comprehensive coverage for 20% less
Old 10-19-2021, 08:16 PM

Give Costco insurance a call , I was able to save over 1300 on 2 vehicles.
Old 10-19-2021, 09:39 PM

Wawanesa been good to my family
Old 10-19-2021, 11:54 PM

I know 2 people that have faced hell with TD when it came to claims. If you want to gamble on the cheaper rate and risk not getting into any trouble, then give'er, but I could not believe the nickel and diming and hurdles my friends faced in their claims. Cheap for a reason, I reckon.
Old 10-20-2021, 06:55 AM

You have no collision coverage, so effectively you have no ability to claim against your insurance for anything but hit and run or the other driver going after your third party liability. Not carrying collision is an excellent idea. It does not take very many years for those premiums to equal the cost of a replacement vehicle so every year that you go with no claims for an accident that was your fault, the farther ahead you are. On that basis, I would be taking the cheapest insurance I could find. Even in the case of the 25% trimming above that brazeau was talking about, you are saving 800 bucks a year you will have saved more than the trim in short order.

Canadians in general are some of the most heavily over insured people on the planet. Never insure a loss you can afford to cover yourself. So house insurance good, insurance on cars for PLPD is mandatory, the rest is optional. I know guys paying 500 a year for glass insurance and the replacement glass is 500. Unless you are doing a windshield a year that makes zero sense.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:04 AM

2 years ago , my wifes car got rear ended (minor) by a women who's insurance was TD . Other driver and insurance admitted fault. The next 8-10 weeks was our insurance company playing phone tag, sending out emails to get them to pay for repairs. We ended up getting one of our friends who works at a law office to send them a nasty order to pay letter . Car was finally repaired 3 month's after accident.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
You have no collision coverage, so effectively you have no ability to claim against your insurance for anything but hit and run or the other driver going after your third party liability. Not carrying collision is an excellent idea. It does not take very many years for those premiums to equal the cost of a replacement vehicle so every year that you go with no claims for an accident that was your fault, the farther ahead you are. On that basis, I would be taking the cheapest insurance I could find. Even in the case of the 25% trimming above that brazeau was talking about, you are saving 800 bucks a year you will have saved more than the trim in short order.

Canadians in general are some of the most heavily over insured people on the planet. Never insure a loss you can afford to cover yourself. So house insurance good, insurance on cars for PLPD is mandatory, the rest is optional. I know guys paying 500 a year for glass insurance and the replacement glass is 500. Unless you are doing a windshield a year that makes zero sense.
If you are using your personal vehicle for business use, your company may required you to carry comprehensive and glass. Thats the case with one of my friends.
We are done with buying new cars. Buy the cheapest car you can afford, with plpd and call it a day. We do have glass on the wifes Santa Fe. Its got one of those full glass roofs. Mega bucks to replace. We figured it out, by now, we have paid enough in glass premiums to have it replaced..... twice.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88thunderbird View Post
2 years ago , my wifes car got rear ended (minor) by a women who's insurance was TD . Other driver and insurance admitted fault. The next 8-10 weeks was our insurance company playing phone tag, sending out emails to get them to pay for repairs. We ended up getting one of our friends who works at a law office to send them a nasty order to pay letter . Car was finally repaired 3 month's after accident.
You are sort of making my point. If you are claiming against my insurance why would I care that you are having a tough time. Since I can't claim against TD if I don't have collision or glass their claims record is kind of irrelevant. Me paying the lowest premium possible for PLPD, is the most important factor.
Old 10-20-2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:

I was reading into the optional glass insurance policy and that doesn't even cover glass problems from normal use (IE rock chips/cracks from highway driving), what does make sense is if you have a huge sunroof that gets that piece of hail in the wrong spot

I'm going to get a hold of my broker and see if they can see if intact can do any better or I'm jumping ship. I wholeheartedly agree with your statement about not having insurance for things you can afford to replace. Insurance never pays you back for what you put into it on many occasions.
Old 04-20-2022, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Wawanesa been good to my family
They just emailed asking for consent to review my credit rating. I said sure as I know mine is very good. They emailed me back today and said my rates will be reduced by $338, woohoo
WDF
Old 04-20-2022, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazeau View Post
I was with TD Insurance (Primmum) for 25+ years. Never moved as the rates were always close enough when I shopped it. Wife was in a not-her-fault accident. Everything was fine until they decided to write the vehicle off. Their offer was 25% below anything even remotely available in the market and they wouldn't budge period. Their resolution was to tell me to hire an arbitrator and they would honour the arbitrators decision. Trouble was all arbitrators are certified under the same guidelines so a different decision would not likely have been forthcoming. In the end, I took what they had offered and promptly moved my $9,500 in annual insurance premiums over to SGI. That was three years ago and I haven't looked back. Ended up with more comprehensive coverage for 20% less
I know this young fellow who they were doing that with, low ball offering on an insurance write off, he just kept saying no the car will cost more than that to replace and hanging up the phone on them. He did this several times while getting phone calls at work over a period of a couple of months. He told me in the end he got what he wanted, his thought was the adjusters all want to close their files and the longer he said no the worse they would want to close his file so it didn't reflect badly on them. He had another vehicle so it was no sweat for him to wait, but it's something I'll keep in mind if I ever end up in that situation.
Old 04-20-2022, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Da Fisherman View Post
They just emailed asking for consent to review my credit rating. I said sure as I know mine is very good. They emailed me back today and said my rates will be reduced by $338, woohoo
WDF
Yes, I've been with them a long time, and started getting the discount for good credit a couple years back. All the same, their rates are going up and up (as are all insurance companies). I haven't found anyone who can match their rates with the various discounts I get. But, still it isn't cheap.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 04-20-2022, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Da Fisherman View Post
WDF
Very good news, Insurance a nasty, necessary evil in our life!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 04-20-2022, 09:25 PM

Quote:

This x1000. I am so done with insurance companies the only way to make it is to do what you can to get your rates low and then hope and pray you don't need them ever. For my car, I have been 5 years with no payments and zero comprehensive. I have saved tens of thousands over the years just by doing this. People think that means driving a pile of junk, that is not true either. I drive decent 5-10 year old cars and pepple look at me like I'm nuts when I tell them I just have liability. I look at them like they are nuts for having a 600 dollar plus ca payment AND being forced into comprehensive.
Old 04-20-2022, 11:34 PM

I am a few years older than you but I paid a similar premium with Intact when I was your age. The significant drops for my premium came when I got married, and turned 25. Wawanesa quoted me 3x the rate that Intact offered. Intact has also been really good to deal with on an animal strike and two hail claims I have had to put in.
Old 04-21-2022, 06:02 AM

Default not carrying some comprehensive coverages

Quote:

Maybe someone knows of possible ramifications of carrying strictly PLPD coverage. For eg. theft recovery of vehicle dumped in waterbody , vehicle destroyed by fire on side of highway. Who pays for towing, ems and other incidentally incurred costs in recovery of salvage if no theft or fire coverage. Might be worth looking into possible fine print issues. I have been with Wawanesa for years and no problems. Intact is turning into the massive industry machine by buying up lots of rivals.
Old 04-21-2022, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage Point View Post
Maybe someone knows of possible ramifications of carrying strictly PLPD coverage. For eg. theft recovery of vehicle dumped in waterbody , vehicle destroyed by fire on side of highway. Who pays for towing, ems and other incidentally incurred costs in recovery of salvage if no theft or fire coverage. Might be worth looking into possible fine print issues. I have been with Wawanesa for years and no problems. Intact is turning into the massive industry machine by buying up lots of rivals.
You can get comprehensive without glass, which is what I generally carry along with PLPD, even on brand new vehicles. If the vehicle is financed the lender will probably insist on collision coverage, but you can still do comprehensive without glass. You can also get separate fire and theft but comprehensive, without glass, is usually a better deal, same cost, better coverage. All in however, if the vehicle is worth less than 10,000 you have to question even those additional coverages.
Old 04-21-2022, 06:45 PM

My broker or Wawanesa ran a soft credit check and saved me $600 a year. No clue this was a option until now. Nice for people with good credit.
Old 04-21-2022, 07:17 PM

Default Intact will never get a penny from me again

Absolute pains to deal with.

Call Dyck Insurance in Wetaskiwin. They have treated me very very well for a long time.

Good Luck.
Old 04-22-2022, 08:27 AM

I just received a message 2 days ago from our Broker stating that our rates were increasing 20% this year due to some new law in Alberta. My wife has 1 speeding ticket, I have never got a ticket, neither of us have ever got into an accident or filed a claim.

I am pretty ticket off at our broker and am probably looking to test the waters else where. Did anyone else's rates increase? or is the explanation from our Broker a load of crap?