Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-14-2021, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
They're called Man's best friends for a reason. They give you many many many great days and one gut-wrenching one...that goes on forever.

When Tomorrow starts without Me.

When tomorrow starts without me.
And I'm not there to see;
The sun will rise and find your eyes
All filled with tears for me.

I know how much you loved me.
As much as I love you,
And each time that you think of me.
I know you'll miss me too.

But when tomorrow starts without me
Please try to understand,
That an angel came and called my name
And petted me with her hand.

I thought about our lives together;
I know you must be sad,
I thought of all the love we shared,
And all of the fun we had.

So when tomorrow starts without me,
Don't think that we're apart.
For every time you think of me,
I'm right there in your heart!

BW
Although this made me cry, thank you for this, it's a beautiful homage to our four-legged family members. I lost my old boy this spring, less than 2 weeks after I lost my mother. It's been a tough 6 months.

To the OP, there are some great mobile vets in Edmonton who will discuss home euthanasia with you. My old guy passed at home and I wouldn't have it any other way. We did it for him, so he could be in his own home, calm and serene. I felt going to the clinic would only add stress to his last moments.
Old 10-14-2021, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
They're called Man's best friends for a reason. They give you many many many great days and one gut-wrenching one...that goes on forever.

When Tomorrow starts without Me.

When tomorrow starts without me.
And I'm not there to see;
The sun will rise and find your eyes
All filled with tears for me.

I know how much you loved me.
As much as I love you,
And each time that you think of me.
I know you'll miss me too.

But when tomorrow starts without me
Please try to understand,
That an angel came and called my name
And petted me with her hand.

I thought about our lives together;
I know you must be sad,
I thought of all the love we shared,
And all of the fun we had.

So when tomorrow starts without me,
Don't think that we're apart.
For every time you think of me,
I'm right there in your heart!

BW
>>
Beautiful BW, perfect in so many ways. Son of a gun, this one was hard on the ticker.
>>
OP. As stated already there are quite a few wonderful Vets who will come to help you. We have used Parkland Veterinary for this very thing and the lady who came to assist was so kind and gentle. She brought out her Daughter who seemed to be there for moral support for us. Genuine as it can get, I think.
Good luck to you, your Family and Pup. No easy way, ever.
Old 10-14-2021, 09:08 PM

We're in the same spot, our family. Family dog I've had over half my life (I'm only mid 20s), health is just declining super rapidly and vet says be prepared as the day is likely coming quite soon to make the decision.

Hope all the best for you and your family.
Old 10-14-2021, 09:53 PM

The same vet has been taking care of my dogs for 30 years. She's offered to come to our home when old age & ailments caught up with our pups, but both dogs always loved going to the clinic and 'visiting' their vet. And I didn't want my wife to have to watch them take their last breaths, Plus the dogs would sense that something was happening that was upsetting 'mom', and it would upset them badly as well.

At the clinic, it's just the vet and me that has a good cry. I tell her that I feel like I've just betrayed my dog's trust, and she tells me that I've just earned it.

It's a hell of a journey, but a final duty that falls to me alone.
Old 10-14-2021, 10:17 PM

I visited my mom in Calgary, when we put our 14 year old, yellow lab to sleep, back in July. The vet did a home visit.

So a little background, our family was the dog's third home. When I was living in Saskatchewan, he would always be anxious whenever I put him in the truck, until he realized we were on our way to visit my parents here, in Calgary. I figured he thought he was going be be given away again. So for me, I didn't want his last memory to be handed off to another stranger. As heartbreaking as it was, when it happened, I'm glad the vet did a house call and that's how I'll be doing it from now on.
Old 10-14-2021, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post

My sister has had the vet come out a couple of times to put her dogs down and I will try to go this route. The vet that she had do this played with the dog and let it get used to her. They sat on a blanket in the yard and kept the dog calm after saying their goodbyes. The shot was given, the dog fell asleep, passed peacefully and the vet took the dog to be cremated.

this is the route I am going to try next.

I'm sitting in my office at work getting choked up just talking about this.
Jeeze these threads are tough to read, gettin a little choked up myself as my dog is on borrowed time for a good 6-7years now including a SUPER scary incident a few weeks ago when he started puking up raw blood. The Vet suspects he ate a dead bird or mouse and was hacking that up but he has some internal bleeding now too but its not too bad now. Scared the heck right outa me, thought for sure that was it.

Anyways a good friend just went through having to make that call, she had the vet come right to her place and got all acquainted with both of them then on her say so the vet gave the shot. After her dog passed the vet gave her all the time she needed to say her goodbyes and then wrapped her up in her favorite blanket and took her for cremation after a grief counsellor showed up for support. I almost lost it as she was describing the process just cause it's going to be my turn any day now. Every morning my dog rustles around to get me up to take him outside around 5 am for a squirt and every morning he wakes me up I am incredibly grateful he is still with me. Most Mini American Eskimos last 12-13 years, mine's 21, no joke.

OP, I'll get that contact for you should you need it. Sorry to hear of your situation, I just cant imagine life without my little buddy.

Screenshot_20211014-231030_Gallery.jpg

Last edited by does it ALL outdoors; 10-14-2021 at 11:11 PM.