Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-08-2021, 02:46 PM

Default Yes!

I guess for me it really comes down to daylight at the end of each day. As has been said we only get so many hours of daylight, and I would rather it be light after work vs during work.

Voting yes.
Old 10-08-2021, 05:47 PM

voted NO
Old 10-08-2021, 07:44 PM

Standard time...
Old 10-08-2021, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefish View Post
I guess for me it really comes down to daylight at the end of each day. As has been said we only get so many hours of daylight, and I would rather it be light after work vs during work.

Voting yes.
Exactly. From a health standpoint Canadians are lacking vitamin D, especially in the winter. Seeing some sun at the end of the work day (on standard time most working people won't see it in the morning or at night in the dead of winter) would be beneficial. Makes sense seeing an hour of it after work
Keep summer (DST) hours year round

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20413135/
Old 10-08-2021, 08:29 PM
Banned

Every night after work (weather permitting) I sit on the lanai to listen to podcasts. It doesn't matter what the clock says. If it still light at 10pm, I'm there. I go by the light, not what the clock says. So, keep it MT
As for the guys hunting, why won't you just ask your employer to skip out an hour earlier? Most employers SHOULD be on board It's not a year long issue
Old 10-09-2021, 09:59 AM

If your old and retired like me "I get up with the chickens and then go to bed with the chickens" Daylite savings time who cares.
Old 10-09-2021, 10:27 AM

Default Yes because....

I want daylight when I'm awake.....not when I'm sleeping or trying to sleep

Standard time in the summer would have the sun rising at 0404 and twilight around 0300 in the morning. Even on DST the sun rises too early for me. Discharging a firearm on 21 Jun at 0334 (Standard Time) would be legal (half hour before sunrise in Edmonton).

Keep changing the clocks twice a tear or DST are the ballot options. Staying on standard time in my mind is never an option and I'm thankful that it isn't on the ballot because...

"The best case against democracy is having a 5 minute conversation with the average voter."
Old 10-19-2021, 02:17 PM

Well this should be interesting, from what I’m hearing it’s pretty close to a 50-50 split. I’m not sure why people want it dark at 4:15-4:30 in the winter and changing the clock twice a year. In my mind it was a no brainer, try to make as many hours of daylight during hours that people are awake. Not sure why anyone would be against that.
Old 10-19-2021, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
Well this should be interesting, from what I’m hearing it’s pretty close to a 50-50 split. I’m not sure why people want it dark at 4:15-4:30 in the winter and changing the clock twice a year. In my mind it was a no brainer, try to make as many hours of daylight during hours that people are awake. Not sure why anyone would be against that.
When I was in Fort Nelson, they had a local referendum on the matter, to stick with existing or switch over to what the PRRD (Fort St. John) was on. It was annoying, as alot of the energy related business in Fort Nelson worked with offices out of FSJ, which were an hour different for half the year. Made alot of sense to switch to be the same as the PRRD. A lady was explaining to the Mayor that she didn't want to switch, because right now her kid got home from school at 4:30-5:00, volleyball practice was at 6:00, giving them over an hour to have supper as a family. If the clocks moved back, they'd lose that hour and wouldn't be able to have supper as a family.
Old 10-19-2021, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post

Lol you think everyone has your hours?? I’m obviously up long before you. As are many others. I really don’t want the first 6 hours of my day dark either. To me day light savings is a meh. If they did away with it I’d prefer we went on standard time.
Old 10-19-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Exactly. From a health standpoint Canadians are lacking vitamin D, especially in the winter. Seeing some sun at the end of the work day (on standard time most working people won't see it in the morning or at night in the dead of winter) would be beneficial. Makes sense seeing an hour of it after work
Keep summer (DST) hours year round

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20413135/
Agree 100% plus it’s better for hunting

-Billy Molls
Old 10-19-2021, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gade81 View Post
Lol you think everyone has your hours?? I’m obviously up long before you. As are many others. I really don’t want the first 6 hours of my day dark either. To me day light savings is a meh. If they did away with it I’d prefer we went on standard time.
I work shift work and I work from 6:30-6:30 with rotating starts am or pm on a 3 week in and out schedule so my personal sleep schedule is already messed. It’s more my wife and kids, whenever the time change happens the next week is hard, everyone is grumpy and tired. My own selfish reasons are I like sleeping in if I can for hunting and fishing, I’d like to get out ice fishing by sunup but most of my friends don’t want to wake up that early.
Old 10-19-2021, 02:56 PM

I voted no but it really won't matter to me anyway, I'm more interested in the equalization..... and I can't believe the YEG/YYC Mayors.... wow lol.
Old 10-19-2021, 03:01 PM

Go back to a time when every city had their own time pole
noon was set when there was no shadow that would be the only way to make everybody happy.

Fall back a 1/2 hour all across Canada and leave it.