Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-07-2021, 12:13 PM

I would vote to eliminate the time change.

The main gripe I have is that I believe it causes more potential for traffic accidents because it doubles the time per year that drivers will be staring into the Sun.

Just about the time that the Sun isn’t in your eyes during your commute, poof, now you get to do it all over again.

For those companies that need to work around daylight hours, wouldn’t it be easier for them to change their core hours instead?

Or for those of us who like to get a bit of hunting in after work, maybe negotiate an arrangement with our employer that lets us do so.

My $0.02.
Old 10-07-2021, 12:17 PM

I really find it hard to believe a 1 hour change can screw you up for a week.
Its no different than getting up early one day or staying up late one night.
Are you messed up for weeks after?
i worked shift work for 35 years and I had no trouble adjusting.
Being retired, I don't need to get up early so I prefer the extra light at the end of the day, but to each his own.
Old 10-07-2021, 12:19 PM

I tend to agree - most of the time the only reason I've heard from people that want it to stay put is that its so hard for their kids to change which from my experience is not the case.

I would be fine with going to standard time, but the switch to permanent DST is dumb.

Also since we've been hearing for the last two years that we all need to "listen to the experts" and the "professionals" I'm surprised anyone is even bothering to disagree with the Doctors and psychologists.
Old 10-07-2021, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
BC is one hour us behind if Alberta stays the same time and BC falls back another hour at time change there would be a two hour difference for 6 months of the year.
Not all of BC has DST. I grew up on standard time in NE BC, and certainly wouldn't miss the DST that I've had for the last 30 years in AB. Besides, NE BC is pretty much like NW Alberta anyway.

I'm not sure who's idea it is to keep DST however, I too think that it's stupid, keep it standard time instead. As far as "businesses" and "circadian rhythm", meh whatever, people all over the world (including many parts of Canada) have no issues.
Old 10-07-2021, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
I agree....leave it on standard time year round...forget DST
This right here. Agree 100%.
Old 10-07-2021, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
I’d love to see the changes go away but I’m not sure this is the right way to do it, it should be Canada wide. My job has national exposure and I spend enough of my day explaining to project managers in Toronto that I’m not going to join 6 am conference calls now. Making that more complicated will be no fun.

It’s also going to complicate my life in that time zone definitions on all the gear I work with will need to be updated, this could lead to some interesting issues with SCADA systems and such. Its not a huge thing, it’s been done before but it’s a surprising amount of hassle.
If you stayed on DST your meetings would only be an hour early instead of two.
Old 10-07-2021, 01:26 PM

When I moved from AB to SK back in 2010 one of the things I really appreciated was not having to change the time. After 11 years living this way if I was still an Albertan there is no doubt I would be voting to stay on DST.
Old 10-07-2021, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
I’d love to see the changes go away but I’m not sure this is the right way to do it, it should be Canada wide. My job has national exposure and I spend enough of my day explaining to project managers in Toronto that I’m not going to join 6 am conference calls now. Making that more complicated will be no fun.
Ontario is changing their clocks for the last time this November, potentially.

Old 10-07-2021, 01:35 PM

I vote for the sun to rise at 4am and set at 10pm year-round...And for work to start at noon and end at 3pm.
Old 10-07-2021, 02:01 PM

I don't get why people whine about having to change the clock 2x a year. But you do not hear them complain when they go on a beach vacation in a different time zone for a week.

I my self like it when it is light till 10 pm in summer.
Old 10-07-2021, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
I vote for the sun to rise at 4am and set at 10pm year-round...And for work to start at noon and end at 3pm.
This right here and I am sure if we put a tax package together this can be achieved within the next 175 years easy
Old 10-07-2021, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
I don't get why people whine about having to change the clock 2x a year. But you do not hear them complain when they go on a beach vacation in a different time zone for a week.

I my self like it when it is light till 10 pm in summer.
But it would still be light at 10 pm in summer, that’s the point, summer time all the time.
Old 10-07-2021, 02:17 PM

Voting no.
Old 10-07-2021, 02:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
If you stayed on DST your meetings would only be an hour early instead of two.
I’m more concerned with the complications of a bunch of provinces doing it differently than that particular time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Ontario is changing their clocks for the last time this November, potentially.
I didn’t realize they were looking at it as well. That’s makes the decision a little easier for sure.
Old 10-07-2021, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
One of the arguments I read that was against going to a year-round time brought up human’s circadian rhythms, which seemed to me quite ridiculous. If we simply go by nature, we would be on a year-round ‘time’. Personally, I’d prefer to go to work in the dark and have a bit more sunlight at days end over the winter.

I grew up in SK and never encountered changing my clock until I moved to AB the first time. I didn't understand what the point was of changing my clocks and still don't get it.

I'd definitely vote to drop this annoying, useless DST thing.

Keeping on the same time as SK makes no sense tho. We're further west. Keep us one hour behind SK, that makes sense.

I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 10-07-2021, 02:40 PM

Default Its not hard to do

I can't believe this is even an issue how hard is it turn a clock back or forward i guess its a generation of princesses I want I want nothing better to complain about power to you .
Old 10-07-2021, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrol1957 View Post
I can't believe this is even an issue how hard is it turn a clock back or forward i guess its a generation of princesses I want I want nothing better to complain about power to you .
Perhaps some people just don't see the point in changing the time. We get so many hours of daylight, and changing the time doesn't change that.
Old 10-07-2021, 02:56 PM

Quote:
How much easier does it get than doing nothing

All my clocks change automatically (atomic time) except my car is an hour out 6 months of the year.

Time change is an antiquated thing that run it's course
Old 10-07-2021, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Alberta was one of the last North American jurisdictions to adopt daylight time in 1971, but only after two plebiscites, one in 1967 that saw the move defeated in a 51 to 49 per cent vote, the second approving our current plan in a 61 to 39 per cent vote.
What about all the princesses before 1971?

I already voted yes - best of both worlds, DST for evening light in both summer and winter and no changing clocks required.
Old 10-07-2021, 04:14 PM

Quote:
It’s easy but pointless

My life will go on either way it would just be nice to not waste my time with unnecessary time change is all
Old 10-07-2021, 04:27 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoTrekr View Post
What about all the princesses before 1971?

I already voted yes - best of both worlds, DST for evening light in both summer and winter and no changing clocks required.
Yup, DST in January in Alberta would be great...dark at 0900...dark again at 1800 hrs. Forget DST and leave it on standard time year round
Old 10-07-2021, 05:37 PM

Change clocks 1/2 hour across the Americas and call it good.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
I’ve been seeing it flying around on the Facebook that a few people aren’t wanting it to go to daylight savings. Given the options we have I’m not sure why anyone is voting to keep the time change, if anyone has had kids they know how awesome the first week after both time changes is, on top of that many are tired for a week or 2 and there are a lot of incidents that first week (car accidents etc…) On top of that I honestly am trying to figure out why some people like standard time so much as well. Do people really like the sun coming up at 330 am in the summer and it getting darker in the evening? As well are they that committed to driving both to and from work in the dark in the winter? I personally would like to have some daylight in the evening so that kids can play outside and get some fresh air and sunlight once they’re done school. Maybe it’s just me but there really is no question why we wouldn’t want daylight savings permanent.
totally agree going with permanent DST. it's going to be dark regardless in the winter, but the extra hour of daylight in summer is great.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
This article explains why permanent daylight time isn’t the best option. We should switch to standard time like is SK

https://apple.news/AijPeUId_RS-MaZNYwgg0lA

“Antle says if people vote yes to this question and Alberta moves to permanent daylight time in 2023, in December sunrise in Calgary will happen after 9:30 a.m. In Edmonton it will be closer to 10 a.m. and in Grand Prairie, which is very far west, sunrise will happen at around 10:30 a.m. “That means kids will be having their first recess in the dark.”
Saskatchewan is year round daylight savings time.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronkaren View Post
totally agree going with permanent DST. it's going to be dark regardless in the winter, but the extra hour of daylight in summer is great.
You can mess with clocks all you like, there is no extra hour of daylight in summer with either Standard Time or DST.
Old 10-07-2021, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
You can mess with clocks all you like, there is no extra hour of daylight in summer with either Standard Time or DST.
This... and kids crossing the street and waiting for buses in absolute darkness. My vote is no change.
Old 10-07-2021, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotter View Post
This... and kids crossing the street and waiting for buses in absolute darkness. My vote is no change.
Hey go to school in the dark already once we get later in the year. My daughters school starts at 8:05, that dark for several months every year already
Old 10-07-2021, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronkaren View Post
Saskatchewan is year round daylight savings time.
They are on year round standard time.
Old 10-08-2021, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailraat View Post
I tend to agree - most of the time the only reason I've heard from people that want it to stay put is that its so hard for their kids to change which from my experience is not the case.

I would be fine with going to standard time, but the switch to permanent DST is dumb.

Also since we've been hearing for the last two years that we all need to "listen to the experts" and the "professionals" I'm surprised anyone is even bothering to disagree with the Doctors and psychologists.
So instead of having birds wake you up at 430am you want them to wake you up at 330am in the summer?.
Old 10-08-2021, 06:33 AM

The reason I like Time change......

I get reminded to change the battery's in the smoke detectors